• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD

davidredge

Standard Member
I'm looking everywhere for releases of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray kits. Although, I'm not sure which format i'll back, i'm in the process of considering a HDTV (since I'm moving and may as well buy a new TV...)

I can't see anywhere any release dates or even an indication on ETAs. I would have expected both camps to have pushed the formats alongside Sky's HD push.

When can we expect either?

Uruloke

Established Member
Hmm, I must get round to writing a proper FAQ! ;)

david, Toshiba's UK HD-DVD player should be available in November. For Blu-Ray, the only player you will get this side of christmas is the Playstation3, also due out in November. :thumbsup:

sbowler

Prominent Member
I may consider getting into HD, dont know which format yet. But wont buy until at least xmas 08:eek:

juniper

Established Member
davidredge said:
I'm looking everywhere for releases of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray kits. Although, I'm not sure which format i'll back, i'm in the process of considering a HDTV (since I'm moving and may as well buy a new TV...)

I can't see anywhere any release dates or even an indication on ETAs. I would have expected both camps to have pushed the formats alongside Sky's HD push.

When can we expect either?

You can of course get R1 HD-DVD players already - do a search and you'll find some happy forum members who already have them:) .

Uruloke

Established Member
juniper said:
You can of course get R1 HD-DVD players already - do a search and you'll find some happy forum members who alreday have them:) .
Myself included! :cool:

turk3y

Prominent Member
is there a faq outlining the benefits of each format. There is alot of people touting the data storage of this vs that but as both sides are expecting to add layers i cant see this really effecting joe bloggs (ie me) as the content will look sweet and there will always be 2 disk special editions just because they look good.

What i would like to know is what each standard defineds that the players/format support that are going to improve the experience for the consumer as I dont think picture quality is going to matter to most other than misguided bragging rights. ie hd-dvd players persistant storage (bookmarks etc), and progress bar of the film, blueray has b-java scripting etc.. i just cant find much about these and how they releate in practice.

Atm the blue ray disks apear to be inferior pq wise but would still probably loosen the most disering viewers jaw, but hourglass wait intervals between menus are just shocking and would put people off before even getting to the good stuff. I am just interestd to see what they offer past codecs and gigs of storage...

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom