• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

blu ray advice

jdmjib

hi all,

ive decided to make the move to Blu ray and ive decided on one of the following two LG players, the BD350 and BD370.
From what i can tell, the only difference in spec seems to be the internet connection which im not bothered about. can anyone tell me if the picture quality will be any different? i can only find a full review for the bd370 and not really alot for the other one.

Many thanks.

Retro Techno

Hi
I've had a look around, and you're quite right, the two models seem identical except the internet connection.
I almost bought the bd350 at one time, but went for a different model in the end.
The BD350 is a less commercial player, being sold at selected stores such as Argos and Blockbuster, and it's low price is an effort to boost Blu-ray in to the mainstream. The 350 can be had for much less than a ton if you look around, whilst the 370 is still about £120, which is still a good price for a BD player with it's features.
Picture wise for Blu-ray, there will be no difference. Even between entry level players and very high end models, picture quality for BD playback will be almost identical. That's part of the beauty of Blu-ray. The picture quality lies more in the transfer on the disc and less in the machine's capabilities, unlike upscaling a DVD which relies on high tech chips to extract the best from the disc.
And that leads me on to Upscaling abilities. Depending on the components used inside the two machines, one might be better than the other at upscaling and getting the most from a DVD disc. To be honest though, at this price range, I doubt there is a big difference, if any.
If your budget can stretch, I would go for the 370, as by all accounts it has been proven to be an excellent machine. But if budget is a concern, I'm sure you wouldn't be let down by the 350.
Check the threads in the Blu-ray player forum for more details.
Enjoy your new player and foray into hi def:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom