Blu-Ray - AC3 or DTS output

Halloway

Hi,

I am contemplating getting a low-end Blu-Ray player and have a question or two regarding sound output.

I have a Denon AVR-2105 amp which does not have HDMI capability. The only way I will be able to connect the audio from the Blu-Ray player to the amp is via digital coax or optical. My question is, do Blu-Ray players down-convert the new high-resolution audio formats (e.g. DTS HD Master) to AC3 or DTS 5.1, or do the Blu-Ray discs themselves come with an AC3 or DTS track?

TIA,
H.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I am contemplating getting a low-end Blu-Ray player and have a question or two regarding sound output.

I have a Denon AVR-2105 amp which does not have HDMI capability. The only way I will be able to connect the audio from the Blu-Ray player to the amp is via digital coax or optical. My question is, do Blu-Ray players down-convert the new high-resolution audio formats (e.g. DTS HD Master) to AC3 or DTS 5.1, or do the Blu-Ray discs themselves come with an AC3 or DTS track?

TIA,
H.

Hi. :)
The Samsung BD players (1500 and up) can Re-encode all HD audio tracks to DTS 1.5Mbs over optical so that's not bad at all. :smashin:
Usually though its DD/DTS (max bitrate) with TrueHD and the DTS-MA track.PCM only discs come with a DD 5.1 track as well for selection.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom