Blu-ray 5.1 Dolby Digital question

Mekon1

Standard Member
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me. I have got my PS3 connected to my Sony amp via an optical cable. I can get 5.1 dolby digital no problem on all the games, but I got Terminator 2 through today (stunning picture), but I cannot get it to ouput in 5.1 Dolby digital. Any help would be greatly appreciated - I have tried all the settings on my amp and PS3 and cannot get it to work. I am usually very good at these things, but I cannot figure this out.

My amp is the Sony str-db925.

Thanks
Steve

Mekon1

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply. It is just outputting it as pro logic. It is showing the front left, centre, front right and sub, but it is combining the back two surrounds as one. Can you explain PCM RAW?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Steve

shade_of_meta

Novice Member
PCM RAW is just uncompressed audio....most of the BD's i have have that option over DD 5.1

is your amp maybe manually outputting pro logic? can you cycle through the audio options via the remote or buttons on the amp?

Mekon1

Standard Member
Terminator 2 has 5.1 DTS-ES audio and 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX as the different sound modes. These are listed on the box and in the on screen menu.

I have tried cycling through all the different modes and I cannot get 5.1 to show up. I know my amp can except 5.1 as it does in game from the PS3. I have also tried switching over the optical inputs as well and I cannot get it to work. Maybe there is a setting on the PS3 that I have forgotten to change or missed?

Steve

shade_of_meta

Novice Member
settings --> Audio Output Settings --> Choose Digital Out ( Optical )

settings --> BD/DVD Settings -->BD Audio Output Format ( Optical Digital ) --> what have you set here?

Dazzyman

Novice Member
Its a bug with the machine.

Go to sound output and choose optical and bitstream (same for HDMI). Then powerdown the machine. Boot up again but hold down the power button for 4seconds until it beeps. It will ask you to setup the video again so do that.

By default HDMI overides optical so you either get no sound in games or movies and vice versa.

Mekon1

Standard Member
Hi thanks so much for your replies. I will try that this evening.

I was playing around with the PS3 last night and changed the audio output to bitstream and my amp displayed it as 5.1. Not too familiar with sounds outputs, but I trust that bitstream is worse quality than PCM?

Thanks for your help on this - anyone else had this problem?

Cheers
Steve

Mekon1

Standard Member
Hi all,

Thanks alot for all your replies - did a full reset of the system and it detected that my highest resolution was 1080p and managed to get the sound in 5.1 - sounds awesome.

Cheers for all your help again.
Steve