Blu ray 4k to replace failed Sony BDP-6700

marb67

Novice Member
Reaction score
The Sony was an excellent machine, especially for up scaling dvds but after nearly 2 years the software became corrupt and it was sent back to Amazon.

I am now thinking of future proofing with a 4k blu ray player but I would like the following features:

High quality audio
Good up scaling of dvds/blu ray
Multiregion
And if possible, acess to streaming channels like Youtube/Amazon etc
Remembers the point at which you stopped the disc, even if removed.

Reluctant to buy Sony again but So far I have earmarked the Sony UBP-X800 but I am not sure the upscaling is as good as my previous model. It also isn't multi-region.

I am willing to pay up to £300

Thanks.

Last edited:
Look at the Panasonic UB450 and UB820 or the Sony X700 or 800XM2. I know from personal experience that Panasonic machines can be updated for multi region DVD playback, but if you want MR BR then you need a chipped machine. That said, there is a modified version of the Panasonic UB820 firmware version 1.60, version 1.60a, that can be used to alter the player’s BR and DVD MR settings using just the remote control. Google is your friend. The LG UBK90 is worth a look, can be hacked for MR DVD playback, but isn’t as good as the other machines that I’ve mentioned.

Ok, thanks. MR only because I just purchased a Blu Ray B region and its a particular restored film I want to have.

No it's def a B region. The seller asked if I had a multi region to play it on. Thanks for the link but TPS's prices are around £100 more than Amazon, but I imagine this is because of multi-region ? If so, I do wonder if it is a must after all.

No it's def a B region. The seller asked if I had a multi region to play it on. Thanks for the link but TPS's prices are around £100 more than Amazon, but I imagine this is because of multi-region ? If so, I do wonder if it is a must after all.
If it is a Region/Zone B blu-ray and if you are in the UK (or Europe) you don't need a MR player to play it.
Blu-ray region codes

If it is a Region/Zone B blu-ray and if you are in the UK (or Europe) you don't need a MR player to play it.
Blu-ray region codes

Ok, fair enough but out of interest, why don't the Sony models that are higher in price and quality not play MR when their BDP 6700 does ? And out of interest, does anyone here think it's that important to have a MR player ?

Are you sure it was MR for Blu ray. It's often a lot more straightforward to MR for DVD playback but BD MR often requires hardware mods. Or at least that's AIUI anyway

I can't seem to find a player higher up the scale than the BDP 6700 that

1) Up-scales dvds
2) Has the ability to remember the last play point on all format disks (like my ancient Sony dvd did)
3) Is able to play multi-region dvds.
4) Has high quality audio

Surely there must be something ?

Panasonic UB820, Sony X700 and 800XM2, and the lower spec. Panasonic UB450 seem to fit the bill, with the UB450 on the subs bench, as it were.. Multi-region DVD is sorted via a hacked remote (see eBay), HQ audio is covered by the first three machines; resuming playback does vary by disc, but is easily sorted by simply noting the time index just before you stop playback then skipping to it next time you play it. Not ideal, but not difficult.

Thanks. The Panasonic seems the better of them all quality wise as it has multiple audio outputs so I could try and get the surround speakers from my old Sony DAV-DZ260 into them .

No BR player will power your speakers -- there's no on-board amplification. You'll need an external device to do that.

Ok, I suppose as I still use the Sony DAV-DZ260 as the main amp (dvd no longer reads) would I still benefit from the superior sound from the Panasonic if I fed it into the Sony DAV-DZ260 via coaxal or optical ?

Ok, I suppose as I still use the Sony DAV-DZ260 as the main amp (dvd no longer reads) would I still benefit from the superior sound from the Panasonic if I fed it into the Sony DAV-DZ260 via coaxal or optical ?
Yes you can connect via digital optical or coax if the player is so equipped. Even with a 4K player your audio will be limited to SD 5.1.

So buying a high end audio player will be wasted money if the most I can get is SD 5.1

So buying a high end audio player will be wasted money if the most I can get is SD 5.1
Your Sony is not capable of anything other than SD audio in the form of Dolby Digital or DTS. HD audio is Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA. No matter what player you connected to the Sony SD audio is going to be your maximum. You would need a modern receiver and speaker package, along with a powered subwoofer to be able to have HD audio from any source.

Do you have any suggestions of any model to replace my current surround system that would work well with the Panasonic please ?

Last edited:
Your choices are many. Do you want a soundbar, or a discrete system? What other devices need to be considered? The list is potentially endless. You need to give us an idea of what you want before you’ll get any useful recommendations here, I believe.

Just a good all in one system that has the same kind of surround speakers as my current Sony DAV-DZ260 and the capability of the Panasonic UB820 . It's interesting that my fist much cheaper Sony DVD player from 2002 I am using as a stop gap also remembers last play point when you take disks out and put them back in at a later date. In fact, it remembered the last play point of a disk we watched the other night when it was last used in 2011. In some ways technology has moved backwards as these new fangled machines can't seem to manage anything near as simple.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom