Blu-ray 1080P over Component.

Rizvan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Right since I bought my PlayStation3 ive been running it via HDMI on my 42" PH9 Panasonic Plasma Display.

The picture is truely wonderful but due to the limitations of the HDMI module, it only runs at downscaled 1080i mode.

From what I read on various forums and how HDMI is mainly to stop copyright issues etc, outputting 1080p via anything other than a protected method on the PS3 was not possible.

i.e. will only play Blu-ray movies via protected methods like DVI and HDMI cables etc.

Well I was suprised that after buying a official PlayStation Component cable today for £17.99 that the PS3 does NOT downscale to 576i etc and plays in full 1080p.

Im now running my PlayStation3 via Component @ 1080p (downscaled) and its alot smoother...... Blu-ray movies run on this mode also.

So what was all the talk about downscaling Blu-ray movies if you didnt use DVI or HDMI as im very curious.

Cheers

Riz:smashin:

It's something that will be implemented in the future.

yeah, its too easy to record it from component, especially with no protection!

Is the above correct? I went the expensive rought and got a HDMI to Component converter which removes the HDCP as I have a Sony VW10HT projector that is 720P native but only has component.

It cost over £100! Could I have just made do with an old PS2 av-component lead?

Or is it that some Blu-ray will output at full 1080P over component and others will downconvert to SD?

No any movie will work for now using just normal component but sometime in the future (most likely when more HD direct download services are introduced) the HDCP will become active and only HDMI sources will be able to output HD content.

No any movie will work for now using just normal component but sometime in the future (most likely when more HD direct download services are introduced) the HDCP will become active and only HDMI sources will be able to output HD content.
I think this could become a problem for Sony in the future when they try and implement this on the PlayStation3.

Purely because it hasnt been highlighted that any owner using the Component connection will soon have to use HDMI / DVI in the future. So its like buying a car with 300bhp from standard and then after the latest ECU update you lose 20bhp! Surely the product specifications cant be altered after youve paid for it!

For example:-

Lets say I bought the PS3 for Blu-ray movies and not just gaming.... and my screen only had a component connection. So I start building my collection of Blu-ray titles and then suddenly after the latest firmware update they no longer play in 1080p!!! This means that the product I originally bought is no longer fit for the purpose!

Personally I think Sony should just leave it!!

Think this might be wrong - feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

The HDCP flag is set in the software ie the movie disk, so existing movies will all work, just new ones with the flag active will cause a problem.

I think this could become a problem for Sony in the future when they try and implement this on the PlayStation3.

Purely because it hasnt been highlighted that any owner using the Component connection will soon have to use HDMI / DVI in the future. So its like buying a car with 300bhp from standard and then after the latest ECU update you lose 20bhp! Surely the product specifications cant be altered after youve paid for it!

For example:-

Lets say I bought the PS3 for Blu-ray movies and not just gaming.... and my screen only had a component connection. So I start building my collection of Blu-ray titles and then suddenly after the latest firmware update they no longer play in 1080p!!! This means that the product I originally bought is no longer fit for the purpose!

Personally I think Sony should just leave it!!

Think this might be wrong - feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

The HDCP flag is set in the software ie the movie disk, so existing movies will all work, just new ones with the flag active will cause a problem.

Ahhh that seems abit more clearer.... still think its a wrong way about things though.

Riz:mad:

yeah, its too easy to record it from component, especially with no protection!

:confused: Always been fasinated, how would "Joe Bloggs" actually does this? :confused:

They'd better not lock out component HD resolutions in future or I will burn their offices down. I can't believe they would be so stupid as to do something like that though, I would imagine 480p / 720p (although the PS3 doesn't do it!) and 1080i would still be usable, and 1080p would be the elite preserve of HDMI owners.

I have no desire to upgrade my plasma, as it took half of my savings when I bought it, all £2.600 of it, back in the day when it was "HD compatible" and component only, and no where near the "HD ready" HDMI total upgrade con.

Taken from the "horses mouth" so to speak...

http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/autoresponsev4.asp?id=442808

The Blu-ray Disc™ (BD) player can output a 720p or 1080i signal through the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT jacks, but only for BD-ROM media. For DVDs, especially copy-guarded DVDs, the BD player will output signals up to 480p through the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT jacks.

The COMPONENT VIDEO OUT jacks are not capable of handling a 1080p signal; to output a 1080p signal, an HDMI connection must be used.

:confused: Always been fasinated, how would "Joe Bloggs" actually does this? :confused: .

Quite easily. Lots of bootleg BD and HD-DVD disks already on the internet for download.

They'd better not lock out component HD resolutions in future or I will burn their offices down. I can't believe they would be so stupid as to do something like that though, I would imagine 480p / 720p (although the PS3 doesn't do it!) and 1080i would still be usable, and 1080p would be the elite preserve of HDMI owners.

I have no desire to upgrade my plasma, as it took half of my savings when I bought it, all £2.600 of it, back in the day when it was "HD compatible" and component only, and no where near the "HD ready" HDMI total upgrade con.

Unfortunately, it's not the PS3 or even Sony (alone) who are introducing this. For the most part, it's the studios. They are insisting that manufactures and media providers can protect the content.

Just looks at Vista. A complete re-write of an OS for the sole purpose of protecting content.

Although I do believe that the owners of copyright material should (and have every right to) protect their property, I sometimes think that a lot of the protection only hurts and inconveniences the normal everyday consumer. Pirates will manage to break almost any protection - eventually.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom