1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown speakers- advice needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Duncan, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a Yamaha DSP-A1 and Episode 1 I had the following speakers blow their tweeters during the podrace sequence:

B&W CDM7 Left Main
    Kef 34ds Left Rear Surround
    B&W CDM Centre

Seeing as the speakers rate well above the Amp I am a bit annoyed that this has happened- plus I am reluctant to take them back to the dealer at once. This being unsure as to what the attitude to 3 different speakers blowing at once would be (Dealer being Sevenoaks Sound and Vision in Greys Inn Road).

All are under warranty and are only about 18 months old- I have live with this for a few months until I saw Darrens post.

Am quite prepared to pay for parts (within reason!) if my warranty doesnt cover this- any advice on how I might approach this.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

You wont know if they´re covered by the warranty unless you take them back. Kef normally replace drivers without problems, not sure about B&W.

You can only ask. If they´re not covered by warranty just get them to order the relevant tweeters/drivers and pay for them.

Dont know what level you were running your amp at but the Kefs can withstand very high levels without problems.:confused:

Cheers

3. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that- am feeling a lot more confident now!!!

Cheers again.

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan

You have my sympathy! Faulty equipment blew the tweeters in my KEF Ref 4's three times before I finally got fed up and sent it in for repair.

With regard to the KEF speaker it's most likely that you've blown the tweeter in one or both of the Uni-Q drivers no great shake at about £18 a piece, + labour of course!

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    might it be worth getting the amp checked out to see if it is faulty? Yamaha should pick up the tab if it was their kit that caused the problem. Let us know how you get on.