1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown Speaker? Plz Help

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SoundCrazy, Apr 19, 2005.

1. SoundCrazy

SoundCrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few months ago I purchased a 15" L5 Subwoofer.. I have been running it with a 15" Rockford Punch and a MTX THUNDER1501D. This afternoon, I noticed my L5 wasn't hitting anymore, and there was a very noticble,strong, almost like burnt rubber smell coming from my trunk. I removed the box, took out the L5 and noticed the burn stench was getting stronger and my L5 speaker wasn't pumping as I pushed down onto it and just stayed stuck into place. It has only been a few months since I have been using this speaker, and it was brand new. Did I blow it? I seemed to have lost my reciet for the purchase so I just ended up buying a new pair of speakers, but I would really like to know what went wrong so I could avoid the situation. There were also some saw dust on the magnet of the speaker, which most likely came from the box when I cut out the square shape.

2. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

One thing. this is the Home theater and home hi-fi part of the forum so most people wouldn't have a clue about what you're talking about!!

Secondly. I assume you are talking about a Kicker square Solobaric 15. Yes it is blown! but in the US you can get them reconed alot easier than over here in the UK.

Thirdly. You sholdn't use two different types of subwoofer, unless you are running them with a seporate amp each (it looks like you are using one amp, the MTX, and loading the impedance down) With two amps you can set the maximum output for the subs therefore not blowing either one. But if you use one amp with the two subs, one will take more power than the other and so the lower spec'd sub will blow. Clear as mud? gooood :smashin:

Buy another RF Punch 15" (of the same age as the spec's of Rockford sub's change with every new version) at least they will take the same amount of power. Also, with two different types/spec's voice coils on the one amp, it may have given the amp a funny load or charactoristic and caused it to clip etc... either way, you shouldn't use two different makes/model or size sub on the same amp.

I hope this helps.

3. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound Crazy

Mate; sounds like you fried the voice coil big time, :oops: there are speaker repair kits all over the USA and it’s not rocket science to diy…

I recently re-placed the foam surround on one of my JBL control 5 monitors with rubber edge surround, and this only took around 1hour to do. :thumbsup:

If you find a voice coil to fit the size and on a budget too your shorted out mate, :thumbsup:

Good luck. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ashley…