1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown my Monitor Audio B2 Tweater In A Week!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by womblenuggets, Sep 9, 2005.

1. womblenuggets

womblenuggets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I recently bought a Yamaha RX-V1400RDS Av Receiver and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers ( the last version with two bass ports ) from a friend in work. I have wired the speakers in a bi-wire configuration - the tweaters from speaker set "A" on the amp, the woofers from "B". However, having had the speakers on my amp for a week, one of the tweaters has failed - completely stopped working. When the tweaters are swapped between the speakers, the failing tweater does not work in the other box, and the other continues to work in the other speaker. Would anyone have any idea why this might be as I love these speakers and have a worry I am doing something to damage them. I have checked for cross-polarisation and short circuit more than once. My concern is that the amp has 6 ohm/8 ohm speaker settings ( which I left at the default of 8 ohm ) and checking the spec of the lastest B2s, they are 6 ohm. Could this have caused me to blow the B2 tweater? Any help gratefully received!

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I would say the driver has simply failed. Amp channel a is common to channel b. Presuming the woofer still works it is unlikely to be anything else. You say you have swapped the drivers over which would also discount the crossover from any equation.

3. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Get on to Monitor Audio for a replacement - it won't (shouldn't!) cost a fortune, and I would have thought it would be connected by spades internally and therefore a doddle to fit. I did one on a Tannoy speaker a while ago - 10 minute job.

4. womblenuggets

womblenuggets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - thanks for the replies guys.

Steve.EX - thanks for mentioning the common amp - wasn't totally sure about that. I checked with the multimeter and the coil in the driver has a resistance of 45 ohms which seems high to me. More importantly, it just won't tweet :mad:

GW43 - I have emailed MA asking about how to get a new tweeter ( not tweater - silly me ) - it is connected with spades and very easy to replace. Hoping they get back to me on Monday.

The tweeter actually has 3 connections - one red ( connected to +'ve ) and two black ( one connected to negative ). Anyone happen to know what the extra one's for - it's not electrically connected to the other two at all ( so useless in my book! :rolleyes: )

5. womblenuggets

womblenuggets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered a new tweeter today - £34 + VAT = £40. Will soon have my MAs singing again :thumbsup: