Blown my bk xxls400 subwoofer

BenDover01

Hi all.

I did have a previous account here but unfortunately I can't get back into it so I had to create a new account,

Just wanted a bit of advise from someone who knows alot more about the xxls400 than me.

Unfortunately I think I pushed it to hard and I've definitely cooked the 12 inch peerless driver that it came with, amp is still working fine, So obviously I need to fit a new subwoofer back in. I'm just wondering about my options.

1. Purchase an original peerless driver £135
2. Purchase a decent car sub with 4ohm dvc so it could be wired to 8ohm like the peerless or leave at 4ohm?

I'm guessing the best option would be to replace it with another peerless driver, but I also thought that maybe at a similar price I could get a car subwoofer that would match or maybe even better the peerless?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ultrasonic

There is a lot more to the suitability of a replacement driver than just the nominal impedance. If it were me I'd buy a like-for-like replacement. This would also be the wiser move in terms of resale value should this ever become a consideration, which actually it might if you decide you want (and can afford) a more capable replacement given you're clearly pushing the limits of your current sub.

simonb3665

Yeah, replace with the peerless. They are very good value and capable drivers.
There isn't an 'upgrade' driver I can think of near that price that wouldn't be limited by the amplifier or create other issues.
How did you fry it?

Dobbyisfree

How did you fry it?

That's a really good question, as I would be a bit nervous about spending the money on a new driver then realising that there's something wrong with the amp plate too?

rccarguy2

Just be thankful you didnt blow a £1000 driver.

MemX

If you're pushing it too hard to reach volumes you want/need, perhaps you could use the opportunity to put the repair money towards a bigger sub :)

BenDover01

Thanks for the replys,

It was a silly mistake, I started listening to some "decaf" music at quite high volumes to see its low end performance, and basically got a bit carried away and blew it, So a lesson learned their.

I think I will replace it with another peerless driver, But obviously will not be playing any of that stuff anymore at high levels or prolonged periods,

Thanks for the input.

Dobbyisfree

You've made me cry @Andy9 I only have 10 inchers.

BenDover01

There's only so much a tiny 12" in a sealed box can do
I have two JL audio 10s each in a sealed box in my car, They have taken an absolute pounding and I have no issues what so ever, So I really didn't expect 5 minutes of pushing it a bit to blow the driver.

Maybe being rated at 175w RMS means they can't take much, or maybe the plate amp at 400w RMS is a little to much for the peerless.

Actually I have no intent of selling it what so ever, So I may put a 4ohm dvc subwoofer in there that is rated 300w -350w, I remember for a while before it blew that sometimes it would make a clip sound like a pop and that was not even pushing it that much, Maybe I got a dodgy peerless driver or maybe they just don't like being pushed.

simonb3665

You will have a crazy amount of cabin gain in the car you will not have in your room. Also, two 10 have a lot more surface area than one 12 and also obviously two voice coils.
I have blown one driver when doing a hard test on a diy sub and it was the amplifier clipping the signal that killed the driver.
Driver choice really is a balance. You may get more power handling but not be able to get anywhere near xmax in the enclosure and/or create a humped frequency response.
If you are spending more on a driver I would advise at least modeling in winisd

BenDover01

You will have a crazy amount of cabin gain in the car you will not have in your room. Also, two 10 have a lot more surface area than one 12 and also obviously two voice coils.
I have blown one driver when doing a hard test on a diy sub and it was the amplifier clipping the signal that killed the driver.
Driver choice really is a balance. You may get more power handling but not be able to get anywhere near xmax in the enclosure and/or create a humped frequency response.
I've been looking at the P830845 peerless 12 which is apparently the original driver supplied with the xxls400, however on BK's website on the xxls400 page it says "driver impedance 4 ohm" but the xxls P830845 12 inch is listed as 8ohm everywhere I look,

Bit confusing, I'll have to get the original out the loft and see what's written on it.

Do you know the RMS of the xxls plate amp at 4ohm? It says 400rms which must be at 8ohm.

MemX

Also fair to say that most music does not go below 20Hz, whereas a lot of film content does.

BenDover01

Dobbyisfree

There's only so much a tiny 12" in a sealed box can do

More seriously, I have ready to set up and EQ in about a month, two REL Storm Mark Ones. Do you think it's going to be rubbish?

BenDover01

how on earth did you blow it.. are you going to max? pushing beyond 12 oclock on gain?
Yes, it was not long after I first got it and I had not researched on best settings etc, my error and it won't happen again.

I'm going to order a replacement soon, but I'm torn between another peerless driver or the eminence lab 12 6ohm 400rms, reading on some forums and it seems the lab 12 would be a better replacement than the peerless.

Any thoughts?

FRFT

Not sure if I'm too late here, but you can't just put another subwoofer inside your xxls400 box. For starters, the screws won't match and the mounting hole would be different.

Secondly, every driver has different parameters and each driver needs a box that's the correct size for its parameters, otherwise it won't sound good at all.

Thirdly, the xxls400 has additional correction that's designed for that peerless woofer in that box, this will make things even worse for a random driver you drop in.

You should email BK to see if they can help or provide a replacement driver at a lower cost.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom