1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown me speakers up!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Bonzodogdick, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont really know how it happened.

Been using my Arcam 8R bi-wired to my KEF Q35.2's for a while now. I simply added a 8P power amp (connecting the LF cables to the P amp) and switched it all on. The speakers sort of high pitched squeeked, then I noticed Id lost my top end. It onlt seems to have affected the HF and not the LF, so I dont know what I did wrong

Ive ordered a pair of new driver units from KEF at a very resonable £66.81 delivered inc vat, but before I fit 'em and goose them again, I want to know whats happening.

Any ideas?

PS: I treble checked I had the polarities correct, and the H & L F's the right way around.

Bonzodogdick
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Bonzodogdick
    Find More Posts by Bonzodogdick
    Add Bonzodogdick to Your Buddy List

Today, 02:59 PM #2
    eviljohn2

Trader Rating: (4) Were there any short circuits? For example, did you remember to remove the jumper bars from the speaker terminals?
    Pie Fidelity. The struggle for sex, drugs and sausage rolls.

eviljohn2
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to eviljohn2
    Send email to eviljohn2
    Visit eviljohn2's homepage!
    Find More Posts by eviljohn2
    Add eviljohn2 to Your Buddy List

Today, 03:19 PM #3
    Bonzodogdick

Trader Rating: (2) Quote:
    Originally Posted by eviljohn2
    Were there any short circuits? For example, did you remember to remove the jumper bars from the speaker terminals?

I know what you mean. No definately no jumper bars between the terminals. Ive been bi-wiring them for a couple of years.

Bonzodogdick
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Bonzodogdick
    Find More Posts by Bonzodogdick
    Add Bonzodogdick to Your Buddy List

Today, 03:24 PM #4
    alexs2

Trader Rating: (0) The high pitched squeak prior to the tweeters packing in sounds a little like feedback of some kind....how were the preamp into the 8P connections made?

It may also be better to post this in the Arcam forum,as John Dawson and other Arcam folk frequently visit there,and may be able to give much more specific help.

**Please note that any views expressed are my own personal opinions and not those of the forum as a whole,or any company**

alexs2
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to alexs2
    Find More Posts by alexs2
    Add alexs2 to Your Buddy List

Today, 03:53 PM #5
    Bonzodogdick

Trader Rating: (2) Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexs2
    The high pitched squeak prior to the tweeters packing in sounds a little like feedback of some kind....how were the preamp into the 8P connections made?

It may also be better to post this in the Arcam forum,as John Dawson and other Arcam folk frequently visit there,and may be able to give much more specific help.

Thanks matey. Ill copy my original thread over into the Arcam forum.

It was connected with stereo interconnects Pre Amp Out - To Power Amp In as per manual.

The power light on Arcams start Amber in colour, then click on and turn green. The 8P, never turned green, just remained Amber and let out a couple of squeels. When I tried it back to my normal method (ie: 8R Integrated only) was when I noticed the HF had gone awol. Without speakers attached, the power amp light turned green.

The more I think about it, the more confusing it becomes, but I appreciate your advice.

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi

Had you removed the shorting bars between the LF and HF binding posts on the speakers?

This would not cause a problem when bi-wiring but can cause big problems when bi-amping.

Hope this helps.

3. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the bars where definately removed.

4. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you somehow let + and - touch - are you 100% sure that you connected the speaker cable in properly?

can you post a pic of how it was set up?

5. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bonzo

Really sorry to read this thread since it was my 8P you bought.

I can assure you that there was nothing wrong with the 8P when I had it running 6 -9 months ago, it gave me several years of reliable use and as you can see it has been treated with meticulous care since then. I never had a any problems with it and am positive the problem must lie elsewhere. For the record, I also had the 8P connected to the LF speaker inputs and 8R to the HF inputs and never had any problems. I agree with Committed that the most likely explanation was the speaker cabling causing a short.

I still have my 8R manual here which also covers 8P. It states "When the power indicator glows orange, the speakers are disconnected and an internal protection circuit is working". This would presumably imply that you had experienced a short and the protection circuits kicked in to prevent damage to the amp. The manual goes on to say that if the indicator glows orange while in use "switch the unit off, remove all the speaker cables and switch on again. If the indicator goes green on switching on, there is a problem with the speakers or speaker cables. Check the speakers and speaker cables for short circuits before reconnecting them". Since you confirmed that the power light goes green when you have no speakers connected, a short must be the answer.

Another thought: the manual states you should switch the 8R on and wait for the power light to go green BEFORE switching on the 8P. I ALWAYS used to do this but don't know how important that is. Probably a red herring, a short in the speakers or speaker cables must surely be the answer.

Sorry once again to hear your troubles but hope this helps.

Best of luck from here on.

6. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wotcha Rob,

Dont worry mate, I could tell as soon as I opened the box that youd looked after it, and I knew even before I received it that you were a genuine geezer :thumbsup:

No, its got to be down to a short somewhere.

I read the manual about the green/amber lights etc, and also noted that the 8R needs to turn green before hitting the 8P.

Ive ordered some more drive units for my KEF's, which werent half as much as I was expecting (£66) and Im changing my set up location aswell, so Ill be reducing the speaker cable length and Ill make damned sure everything is 100% before I power it up.

Put it this way, its better that the drive units packed in instead of the amps :eek:

Ill post my outcome after the new units and move. (Wish I was sure where the problem was though :confused: )

Take care

Martin

PS: Committed. Thanks mate. Its not easy to post a pic as I aint got a digicam. Ill try it again when Ive had a re-shuffle and borrow a camera, though I hope I dont need to!!

:smashin:

7. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Bonzo

Glad you're still happy with the amp but still diappointed to hear of the mishap - thought you were going to be really delighted once you'd connected it up - not quite the outcome we expected eh?

If you're sure you wired the speakers ok could the short be in the speakers themselves - maybe a problem which was inconsequential when bi wiring but bi amping is another matter? Might be worth getting them checked out before reconnecting, or use a cheap old pair of speakers to test each feed from the amps before using the KEFs again.

Anyway, good luck in tracking down the problem.

Cheers

8. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wsa just about to suggest the cheap&nasty old pair of speakers - and if they blow - you're doing everyone a service :D :p

9. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can indeed lay my hands on a pair of cheap & nasties, however theyre not bi-wirable. Would I just connect up the P amp and wait for the green light (or the screech!)?

10. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i suppose thats worth a go :)