1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blowing Budget Help

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Kuni D, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This must've come up a thousand times by now :)

I'm looking to get a Digicam for day to day use, and set myself a budget of £200.

I started to browse and the Sony range got my eye, especially these two -

DSC-P51
    2MPX, 3x optical/6x digital
    £200

DSC-P71
    3MPX, etc
    £260

Now I don't mind stretching a bit for a 3mpx, better future proofing, and the P71 seems to get good reviews.

Here's the problem though... when I was in dubai I had a play with a Fuji F601 Zoom and totally fell in love with it. All the reviews I read seem to say its the dogs dangles as well.. at the time it was £360ish and I really wish I'd bought it in Dubai, because when I got back I got a nasty shock: its 450-500 here!!!!

Now I found it for £334 without cradle and I'm soooo tempted.

I'd consider this a bargain, should I stretch to it? Anyone here got one? Recommend it? Anyone else wanna recommend any other cams? Experience with the sony's?

Thanks!! :)

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive gone through the similar budget busting phase. Started at £200 and I have now parted with £447.

I dont know if it helps, but I was after a camera that had the flexibility of an SLR (ie that I could manually override any of the auto settings). When I was keeping to budget I looked at the canon A40 as a likely candidate at about £200 and 2Mp. I was happ with my choice after comparing it to others (ie nice look, feel and interface). Compared it to fuji and olympus. (have this thing that camera manufacturers will produce a better camera than an elctronics firm - totally irrational and unfounded but none theless - so didnt look at sony).

But then the person next to me at work came in with his 4Mp camera that cost £250, kodak DX4900. And I began to weaken, I had to have 4Mp but the Kodak was plasticky in feel and didnt have the flexibility I was after. I then narrowed it down to a Sony cant remember the code (85?) was about £500 but 4Mp, an olumpus C50Zoom and Canon S40. All very goo cameras, canon was easiest to operate (interface wise) and the most flexible, olympus had best controls and sony was simply ok but nothing special. Then the canon S45 came out, with better interface, better autifocus, focus bracketing, faster, longer battery life, etc and I was a gonner so was £450 from my bank.

I found www.pricerunner.co.uk, invaluable in getting the best deal and www.dpreview.com for reviews.

Hope this helps

3. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for replying :) I ended up going for the Minolta Dimage F100 - when it came up on the Bargain section on TheDVDForums for £299 I just couldn't hold back, since it surpassed the Sony and the Fuji, while coming in at a price I was more comfortable with.

I'm still shocked that such a small (durable!) camera can produce such amazing 4mpx pictures. I'd def recommend it.

4. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Too late for me!!!

5. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KUNI D

Where did you get your Minolta F100 from at £299, all prices I'm looking at are for £330...........

6. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    At the time Argos we're doing it for 299, but they'd obviously only had v limited quantity (what was currently in stock), so they sold out quickly. I went to jessops, and convinced them Argos we're still doing the deal (when they wernt ;) ) and they price matched.

7. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kuni

Having used the camera for a month or so, how are you finding it now?

8. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to hijack the thread, but am currently looking at the Minolta F100 Vs the Ixus V3

The thing that has put me of the minolta is that it uses sd ram...

The Ixus feels better quality, but has less pixels and a crapy rechargeable battery.

9. fargo jerry

fargo jerry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sd cards can be picked up at reasonable prices if you shop around. Valuemedia for one - gave me excellent service and a good deal on a 128Mb card :)

as for the quality, my F100 for me is definitely comparable to my brother Ixus V2. Both feel rock solid, mine is slightly lighter i would say, but his is smaller

you say the Ixus has a crap battery - the Minolta is pretty bad with it's CR-V3 - still, get some 2000Mah rechargeables from 7dayshop and you're sorted ;)

and fantastic pics from the F100 btw

10. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd def recommend the F100. It didn't come with rechargeable batteries, and they cant be charged in camera, but as mentioned, get some 2000mah batteries, and you'll be sorted.

SD Memory is quite common, and it can be found cheap. I payed £128 for a 256mb card.

Shocking how such a small camera can output amazing 4mpx Fine picks. All the feature's you'd need as well. Also, its extremely versatile/durable, with its all metal body. Very handy for when on holiday.

There's a newer one out now, the F300. It's pretty much the same, but comes with a 5mpx CCD, and has the ability to take longer/higher res video clips. But as its so new, expect to pay £500 +. Although as the new ones out, you may be able to find some great deals on the F100.