• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Bloody weather

cerebros

If it weren't bad enough that the sat signal goes in heavy rain, the strong winds earlier this week must have done my dish alignment slightly as some channels are now reporting the error "30 No satellite isgnal being received", even thought i'm getting about 60% signal strength (although quality is only about 35%)

The big question is, do I get Sky to come out and look at it, or a local satellite installer? Can anyone recommend a decent installer in Leicester?

cerebros

Good point... Just looked up some details on local installers from Yellow Pages and a dish re-alignment would seem to be around £35 - so that's a £30 saving on Sky

cerebros

Hmm...

As I couldn't get hold of any local installers to come round I thought I'd give Sky a call to see when they said they'd be able to come round. I explained how the problem how gotten worse since the very strong winds last week and that I thought it may be the dish alignment, but the chap I spoke to talked me through a load of stuff I told him I'd tried already and decided it was the box instead.

Now I'm inclined to think it's the dish alignment because I've suspected it might be a bit out for a few weeks after reading posts on here from people who say they never get break-up unless it's absolutely torrential rain or snow (whereas mine seems to go if the rain is just a bit more than a light shower), but is there any realistic chance it could be the box? Or is it just their way of trying to extract £65 for a replacement Sky+ box?

cerebros

Yes, especially if it's a Grundig or Amstrad...duff capacitors in the power supply...or Pace (depending on model no)...faulty tuner.

Well it's a Pace Sky+ box.

Is there any way for me to ascertain precisely where the problem lies before I do call someone out to either sort out the installation or replace the Sky+ box.

For example, when we've had break-up in the past due to heavy rain some channels do seem to be more affected than others (i.e. some constantly break-up, others give the "No satellite signal is being received" message, while others are either fine or only have slight blips).

I'm getting a problem right now which I presume is down to the rather thick fog outside.
The following channels are all coming through ok
BBC1, C4, Sky 1, UKTV Gold, UKTV G2, Living TV, Living TV + 1, Living TV 2, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Bravo, Bravo+1, Challenge

The following channels all show the "For your information" banner in the middle of the screen with "25" on the right hand side of the yellow line and "No satellite signal is being received" in the blue part. (the channel info banner displays as normal at the bottom of the screen)
Channel 5, Sky 2, Sky 3, UKTV Gold +1, UKTV, UKTV Drama +1, Men & Motors, Sci Fi, Sci Fi + 1, Paramount Comedy, Paramount Comedy +1 (although actually I don't think we've ever recieved Paramount Comedy+1), Paramount Comedy 2

The following channels all show the "For your information" banner in the middle of the screen with "30" on the right hand side of the yellow line and "No satellite signal is being received" in the blue part. (the channel info banner displays as normal at the bottom of the screen)
BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, ITV, Bravo 2

cerebros

Although in the 2 minutes its taken me to write that they've all come back.

I've never seen that type of behaviour from the box before the storms last week.

Does the number I'm seeing in the yellow box mean anything?

cerebros

Oh, when I go into Services and look at the signal strength, input 1 and 2 are showing 60, but on quality input 1 is on about 33%, input 2 about 50% (and that was when I had selected one of the channels coming up with the "No satellite signal being received" message)

neilmcl

Hmm...

As I couldn't get hold of any local installers to come round I thought I'd give Sky a call to see when they said they'd be able to come round. I explained how the problem how gotten worse since the very strong winds last week and that I thought it may be the dish alignment, but the chap I spoke to talked me through a load of stuff I told him I'd tried already and decided it was the box instead.

Now I'm inclined to think it's the dish alignment because I've suspected it might be a bit out for a few weeks after reading posts on here from people who say they never get break-up unless it's absolutely torrential rain or snow (whereas mine seems to go if the rain is just a bit more than a light shower), but is there any realistic chance it could be the box? Or is it just their way of trying to extract £65 for a replacement Sky+ box?
Whether its the box or the dish, Sky will still charge you £65 regardless.

cerebros

Whether its the box or the dish, Sky will still charge you £65 regardless.

Yeah, but if it's just the alignment that's £30 more than an independent.

I've actually just remembered that I should have a spare digibox buried away in the spare room somewhere. If i can dig that out and hook it up when the Sky+ is having problems with the signal, if the digibox does as well it's definitely got to be something to do with the dish or cable between the dish and box

SamRadford

The spare Digibox will need a firmware update before it will work properly. If your signal is bad, the box may not be able to receive the upgrade.

Your problem could be caused by:
Dish alignment
Faulty LNB
Loose dish or LNB
Faulty cable
Water in the cable
Local interference

cerebros

Well I think it's conclusively a problem other than my Sky+ box.

Annoyingly during the Christmas break the weather was dry and calm when I was in, so I didn't get a chance to swap boxes.

As things are planning up again tonight I finally got round to it and get the same thing - both boths see a signal from the channels I mentioned in the 6th post (although they're both seeing ITV1 this time), and both can't find a signal for the others.

Interestingly, the standard digibox wouldn't pick up any signal at all from the cable that plugs into the LNB2 input on the Sky+, and neither could the Sky+ if I put that cable on the LNB1 input on the Sky+ (not putting the other cable on the LNB2 input... didn't remember to try a straight swap).

So does that sound more like an LNB problem to people?

I think the dish does need some correction of its alignment in any case - when I was watching earlier in the evening a strong gust blew down the side of the house and the signal broke up for a moment.

SamRadford

Interestingly, the standard digibox wouldn't pick up any signal at all from the cable that plugs into the LNB2 input on the Sky+, and neither could the Sky+ if I put that cable on the LNB1 input on the Sky+ (not putting the other cable on the LNB2 input... didn't remember to try a straight swap).

So does that sound more like an LNB problem to people?

Yes, LNB or cable.

cerebros

Well I've jut had two technicians from Crystal Electronics in Northamptonshire out (since they were the first people who didn't say "phone back in a month and see if we've any spaces then").

As expected it was the LNB - apparently the muppets Sky sent round to do my installation hadn't fitted it properly - they'd used the wrong kind of tape where the cable attaches to the LNB, hadn't fitted a plastic cover that's supposed to go over the contacts and also hadn't fixed the LNB to the arm properly.

After having it all seen to the signal strengths on both inputs are now around the 85% mark (+/- a bit), and signal quality is in the 70-80% region - well over twice the amount it was before.

Obviously I'm going to have to wait for heavy rain to see how much difference that makes in poor conditions (although looking at the forecasts that shouldn't be too long a wait), but I can now pick up Paramount Comedy+1, which I realised the other day I couldn't even get in good weather

cerebros

Well tonight is the first bit of bad weather (light snow with cloud everywhere) since the new LNB and everything is still working. Now I'm just waiting for rain....

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom