1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bloody panny 31 and the weather

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by joshua_bond, Aug 11, 2003.

1. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Has anyone has any thoughts!!! every we have a heat wave the panny goes wonky. Can't receive any sky channels except bbc hallmark and uchannel. Purchare Satcure heat sink and fan. No good. This does not happen in winter when the x2 double raidator are on!

what going on:mad:

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heatsinks and fans help to get rid of the heat faster but only if there's somewhere for it to go. If your Digibox is in an enclosed space or in a room where the air temperature is over 30'C then it's impossible to get the CPU *below* 30'C. you must put it in a cool room with plenty of space around it.

As a test, try putting the Digibox on an open shelf with its cover off and make sure the room temperature stays below 25'C.

Of course if the CPU or other I.C. already got cooked, you may be too late. It will always respond to the slightest rise in temperature like this.

(This reply assumes that your LNB is OK!)

Fman

3. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It is on a shelf on it own. Not enclosed. Greater than 9inches on from the top surface to the next shelf, nothing on its side and I have put it on 1inches mdf blocks.

You mentionned LNB. Explain a bit.

I should mention that all the channels return back to normal in the late evening.

4. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Seems as if your lnb is faulty.

Your dish is effectively facing south and will have the sun on it all day. With the recent hot weather it is likely that the lnb is going off frequency during the day due to it overheating. After the sun has gone down the lnb cools off and works again.

Change the lnb and your troubles should be over.

5. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers,

But.. forgive my ignorance but is it a DIY job and if so how do I go about it?

6. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It's easy to do if you have easy access to your dish. The lnb will probably be held on by a semi-circular bracket. Just remove the screws on each side and it will come away. Sky mini dishes may have a different method of securing the lnb to the arm. You will need to unscrew the f-connector, and fitting the new lnb is the reverse of the above.

Don't forget to replace the waterproof rubber cover over the f-connector on the lnb.

Make sure that you purchase the correct lnb for your dish. If you have one of the Sky mini-dishes you will need the exact replacement for it to fit properly. This link will help you decide.

http://www.brymar.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Satellite_LNB_s_27.html

7. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I should have mentioned that you need to be careful not to move your dish at all when fitting the new lnb.

8. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    nice one

Cheers.

9. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I urge you not to keep guessing at the cause. You'll end up replacing *everything*. Please test your Digibox at a friend's house to make sure it's OK. If it is, then you can start thinking about the LNB, dish, cable being at fault. It could simply be a bad connection being affected by the heat. Check the LNB cable connection.

Minidishes use a special LNB fitting. Ordinary LNB is no good. If you are a real beginner then you might like to download satcure's free eBook "Understanding Sky Digital TV".

http://www.satcure.com/book.htm

Fman

10. joshua_bond

joshua_bond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have had a look and I reckon it is the dish or lnb or something but not the box. things are working fine now (i.e evenings)...cos the weather (less sunny). I think that the lnb or the dish has be cooking when we had a heat wave.

any thoughts of protecting these components before this weekend...another heat wave is on the cards!!!

11. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think you'll need to replace your lnb. There have been quite a few reports of this happening on the various satellite newsgroups and bulletin boards.