Blocky Digital Signal from ATSC Tuner

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jellyfish, Sep 16, 2007.

1. jellyfish

jellyfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few weeks ago, a bought a new Philips 27" tube TV from Walmart. My wife and I don't have cable, so we were relying on the digital signals the local TV stations are sending out to get a much clearer reception. And indeed, the local channels are clear as a bell when switching from the analog signal to digital. However, after watching for a few minutes, the image becomes pixelated and blocky and often freezes up. I'm trying to rule out a bad TV by thinking that if it picks up the signal at all, then I'm cool. I'm hoping it's just the signal itself that isn't quite up to par yet. I could be wrong though.

Is this an issue with my TV or the signal? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. hamster

hamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sorry, this is a UK-based forum.

But as I work for a TV Chip company which does ATSC, my suspicion is that your antenna is substandard. The best approach is to buy an antenna amplifier and hope that it improves matters, otherwise consider upgrading the antenna (are you using an indoor one?)

ATSC is notorious for poor reception problems - the biggest one being reflections. If you live near a major highway or have lots of trucks passing your home you may have trouble with reflections from the sides of vehicles. Similarly, if you live near an airport.

3. jellyfish

jellyfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I'm not using an antenna. The ATSC tuner is built in too. My understanding it that an antenna receives the standard signal, not the digital. So, in that respect, I'm not sure an antenna would help in this case. Am I wrong?

4. hamster

hamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    For any signal you need an antenna. Plug the antenna in and rescan for channels.

5. jellyfish

jellyfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I need a digital antenna or will a standard one do the job?

6. hamster

hamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I would try whetever you have on the roof already - but a digital one may offer a better signal.

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    ATSC broadcasts in the same frequency bands - UHF and VHF - as analogue (analog for US readers) - though ISTR it doesn't use the very low end of VHF as much.

Therefore just as you need an aerial (or antenna for US readers) for NTSC analogue over the air (as opposed to cable) TV, you need an aerial/antenna for digital ATSC over the air. Some people get OK results with indoor aerials/antennae, others need rooftop or loft/attic models.

Some digital broadcasts are at lower powers than analogue - so you may find you get acceptable analogue TV using a set-top aerial, but need a rooftop or loft installation for rock-solid digital TV.

If your digital and analogue station transmissions are on similar frequencies (or channels in the US) then an existing analogue aerial/antenna may well do fine. However if your existing aerial is optimised for a particular frequency range (may be less likely in the US than the UK) and digital stations are not in the same range, then you may need a replacement aerial/antenna.

One thing is pretty sure - you're very unlikely to get anything if you don't connect an aerial/antenna...