1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocking up a garage door? - AV room conversion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Smurfin, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    This weekend I'm moving (yay at last:clap: :clap: ), and my new house has a single garage joined on to the house which has been partially converted to a "normal" room already...

It has been carpetted, has insulated walls and ceiling (although no heating)....the problem is the main garage door.

It's been locked off (key snapped off in the lock), and partly sealed by 2 crappy pieces of plywood behind 2 batons. It's pretty shoddy, so I want to install something substantial for the following reasons:

1. It's going to be the screenwall.....so it needs to be sturdy.

2. Although it's a detached house, at the moment you can hear someone talking inside if you're outside...and I want some element of soundproofing.

3. Heat insulation...the room isn't heated at the moment, and I can imagine that door sucking the heat out of the room (the ceiling and 2 of the walls border other rooms in the house).

It's also worth noting that this is a rented property, so ideally I don't want to spend too much money (planning to be there a year to 18 months).

So what I have planned is this:

1. Construct a 2x2 framework of stud batons, @ 600mm centres. This will be set forward of the crappy plywood by 2".

2. Use silicon to seal the whole framework (will be fixed to floor/walls/ceiling).

3. In the void between the batons and the garage door/plywood I was going to pack standard loft insulation, floor to ceiling. (NB: is this worth doing?)

4. Rockwool slabs will then be packed between the batons.

5. Plasterboard will then be nailed to the studs, the edges and joints will again be sealed with silicone.

6. A carpet (dark grey) will then be glued to this wall, running floor to the ceiling.

7. A 10mm MDF sheet will then be screwed to the front face of this, forming the projection screen. I'm planning on painting this Dulux Icestorm 6 (should this be mixed with a little white, it looks very grey to me?), then using some half-round beading (painted black) to frame the edges and cover the screwholes.

How does that all sound? Am I looking at this the right way?

Is there any benefit (or indeed the opposite) from packing normal loft insulation in the void behind the stud wall?

If I didn't use the loft insulation, I could probably double skin the plasteboard on the front instead of having single sheets (with moving and recent expenditure I've set a VERY strict budget).

One other question I have relates to heat. Obviously with the garage being surrounded on 3 sides by other rooms in the house heat loss won't be as bad as itcould otherwise be, but with no central heating I wonder how cold it will get in the winter? How have people with similar rooms found this? Is it a problem? Condensation?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers
    Matt

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt,

3. In the void between the batons and the garage door/plywood I was going to pack standard loft insulation, floor to ceiling. (NB: is this worth doing?)

Yes if there no insulation between a garage door and the room.

I'm planning on painting this Dulux Icestorm 6 (should this be mixed with a little white, it looks very grey to me?)

Use the next lightest shade then (icestorm 5? )

Try and use at least 2 layers of plaserboard ( you've just bought a second servo15, new processor etc - you're talking maybe £30 ish for 1-2 extra layers of plasterboard ! I'd personally go for 3 layers with staggered joins, all silicon sealed. )

Also just an idea..... why not make the last layer of plasterboard a 10mm sheet of mdf (painted grey), then use black carpet stuck on that with a hole cutout to your screen size ? Could look pretty nice.

Cheers

Rob

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Hmm I could do, I'm just never convinced of clean lines where you cut carpet. Thanks for your comments anyway, at least I know I'm going in the right direction...

You're also right about adding layers of plasterboard, and although it's only another £20 (the room is just under 2.4 wide, so I only need 2 x sheets of plasterboard to cover the wall)...it's really adding up. With paint and other bits, I'm up to £150 so far...

Do you know how much rockwool slabs cost from Wickes?

Cheers
    Matt

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    Rob beat me to it Matt!!

EDIT: You beat me to it too! I was replying to your post after Robs, and you got a reply in before me. I must be getting slow in my old age.. :)

Just to add though:

I would have recommended that you use 4 x 2s as the new 'wall' in front of the garage door for extra rigidity, and yes, as Rob says, use insulation. Make sure the 4 x 2 frame is securely fixed to floor walls and ceiling. Definately go with two layers of plasterboard (3 should be better as Rob says) - the rigid frame and wall will help stop some bass transmission. If the wall is too flimsy, it will act as a bass trap and greatly reduce the bass in the room. The insulation inside (4ins) will stop any in-cavity resonance, as well as help with sound insulation.

If you have a sound meter, play a test tone before you start any work, and see what the noise level is outside. Then compare as the work progresses. Not essential but will give you an idea how effective the wall is.

You can't overdo the silicon either - wherever air can go, so can sound, so all joins should be sealed at the top, sides and bottom of the new wall at every opertunity. I also used no-more-nails to help glue my layers of plasterboard together to make them even more rigid. I used B&Qs own brand which come in a 6pack IIRC. It works really well, and is cheap in bulk. You may need a fair bit. Tyr to get a high modulus silicon sealer or similar.

Most importantly - done't forget to post pics here OK? :D

Gary.

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ""Do you know how much rockwool slabs cost from Wickes?""

No idea mate...

""Hmm I could do, I'm just never convinced of clean lines where you cut carpet.""

Maybe put some thin matt black card cut straight behind the carpet, that comes just inside the carpet cut, making the screen edge sharp. I hope that made sense..:)

Cheers

Rob

btw, I reckon whatever you do to the garage, the twin servo's will 'affect' the neighbours:devil:

Rob

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    I hope so:devil: :devil: :devil:

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brick up the garage door, windows and door from the inside. That should help blackout the room and prevent sound leakage.

But....... :)

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    4x2 is a good idea, but I really can't afford to go town with materials, I'm skint enough as it is:rolleyes:

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    There's no windows, the only other door than the main garage one is the internal door, which if I have my way will be buckling on it's hinges from sound pressure within a week:D

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you better get that seen to!

here :laugh:

11. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ""I hope so ""

You're gonna be welcomed with open arms :D

""4x2 is a good idea, but I really can't afford to go town with materials, I'm skint enough as it is""

I can offer you £400 for a servo15:p

Rob

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Nice try, but no cigar:D

13. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ""Nice try, but no cigar:D ""

According to RS, there's about 4 in the country - even before the special offer starts.. The proverbial rocking horse sh**...

I've got a feeling the noise police will be borrowing yours before too long - I'd best get my name down on the police auctions :D

Rob

14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    I saw their advert in What Hi-Fi for £399, and nearly bought one.

Trouble is, I've no where to put it!!

Would really love one though...

Gary.

15. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest guys, i had 2 cans of icestorm 5 & 6 mixed 50/50.

Got one unopened somewhere if anyones interested ;) :blush:

16. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Screw the plasterboard up, don't nail it. It will hold much better this way, thus being better soundproofing. And should you forget to do something in the wall it will be far easier to take down without destroying it.

Is the stud wall going to be fixed solid to the walls and floor?
    Would is be worth floating it on neoprene strips?

17. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Retro, thanks for the tip, funnily enough one of my DIY expert mates said the same about screwing the plasterboard. Dumb question, but do I need to use specific screws for this?

I'm planning on fixing the stud wall to the floor walls and ceiling. What do you mean by "floating it"?

18. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You can get huge bags of plasterboard screws, most places should sell them. Not sure what's special about them, but there must be summit.:D

As for the floating bit. For soundproofing in recording studios etc. they have a room inside a room. They put the inner rooms on a layer of neoprene to prvent any of the sound vibrations in the walls from being transmitted to the outer walls. I was thinking this might work for your inner wall to help cut down on the sound transmission to the outside.

You can get the neoprene from Studio Spares (easy to find, nae expensive). The wall can then be made air tight with silicon.

Any opinions on this anyone?

Elliot (X3ELS) would be a good person to ask. His garage conversion is on here somewhere. A top job, by a top installer.:smashin:

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    LOL this is getting out of hand and I've not even started yet:D:rolleyes:

One other question, someone mentioned to me today about problems with decorating MDF. I'll be using 10mm MDF as my screen...can paint be applied directly to bare MDF or does it need treating first?

Cheers
    Matt

20. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    :D

...waits for Taz to appear and instruct.

Taz'll best tell you what to do with MDF.

21. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spins in! :D

A good primer either sprayed on or rolled will be fine, a light sand (dont sand the skin off!!!) with very fine paper and remove the dust with tack rag.

Your all set then to apply the finish of your choice.

Remember when sanding MDF to wear a mask!

That will be 12mm no ??

22. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Err possibly......;)

23. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The Rockwool site has a manual on acoustics in the 'product info' section. It's not very exciting but does have some construction details on wall systems.

I can't think that anything can stop two Servo 15's though :D

24. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    I think the moon moved further away the last time Smurfin watched the opening of Toy Story 2. :eek:

gary.

25. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Put it this way, I can't wait to listen to them in my new room. It's much smaller and more of the "sealed" variety than my old living room which had an open staircase in it (and was much longer).

Should be good...assuming I can get this wall built:D

26. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,575
    What about a fixed frame wooden screen with blackout cloth or proper screen material stretched over it? Probably not as easy to paint though, but a few people seemed to have managed it.

gary.

27. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Sounds like more work;)

28. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Looking forward to some before and after photos Matt. BTW What colour are you going to use on the walls?

29. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Oh and well done on the 1000th post;)

30. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    ;)

I'll be using a paint from B&Q's own range, it's called English Red: deep red, slightly orangey. :)

Signing off now until after Project Mayhem is in full swing, I'll try and post pics while ground zero is being worked on;) That should give you all a laugh or two when you see my DIY skills :D