1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blockiness on my Hitachi HTD K150 with Lord of the rings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RichGC, Aug 23, 2002.

1. RichGC

RichGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    Im having another problem with my Hitachi.
    I recently bought Lord of the Rings and Rush Hour, I notice on scens where it is dark the the blackness is extremely blocky, almost to the point of unwatchable.
    I am not sure if it is the DVD player or the DVD's as they are by the same company and I don't have any others to use as comparison. The DVD's are region 2. I need quick responses as I don't want to leave it to long to see whether or not its the actual player. I have tried RGB Scart and normal composite but no change (The TV does nto have S-Video).
    I am in desperate need of your help. Thanks a lot :)

2. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I have LOTR R2........no blockiness here..........probably the player and/or TV. Sorry I can't be of more help

3. RichGC

RichGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update, I have noticed the blockiness in The Fast and the Furious as well, which is by a different company.
    I used to have the Fast and the Furious when I had my PS2 and it was perfect so I think I can rule out the TV. I think im gonna swap the player for another one (Same player) tommorow.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's the player Rich. Hitachi are not renowned for making great DVD players. If you can find a review of it on www.whatvideotv.com you will probably find that they have mentioned this.

Here is a quote for one Hitachi player that is quite enlightening:

If I were you, I'd swap it for a different make or at least a different model. If you go for the same one again, it is highly likely to exhibit the same problems.

5. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    I actually Had my nose deep into this problem a year or so back, aiding one of the writers for this website (A certain Mr archer).

The problem was not Hitachi's doing but a brand of chip known as the ESS series, which was used in the 505e and possibly your player. other Hitachi models where not crippled by this problem as they used zoran chips I think.

The problem was The ESS chip was a single chip solution to all your Disc needs, it had its own cpu DD5.1 decoding all built into it, where as most players that dont use an ESS chip have a Notebook style cpu powering it.

The ESS chip couldnt meet its performance requirements, and one of the filters had to be disabled inside the chip to provide good performance, this resulted in blockies especially on dark colours.

Saying that I still have my old Hitachi 505, and Lord of the rings, tell me the time in the movie it happens and I will check for u.

6. RichGC

RichGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heh thanks for the quote but I will say your way off, if youd looked harder :rolleyes: you would have seen they reviewed my Home cinema and gave it 9/10 for picture, sound got 4/10 but since this is my first one I love it and think the sound is incredible.
    I'm going to the shop today and will probably exchange the player for another one (Same player though).
    I don't want to get another player as this was bought in a family friends shop for £250 so I can't get another decent sound system for that price :)

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you had looked harder in the first place, then you wouldn't have needed to ask our advice at all. There is no need to roll your eyes, we are only trying to help you, not do all the work for you. It is YOUR player after all. As you said:
    So we gave you our thoughts.

8. RichGC

RichGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok mate fair enough, I asked for your help for my problem. Not so you could pick a random Hitachi player and use a quote from a review to make out that the blockiness was normal...:rolleyes:

9. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The blocking(artefacts) on your picture is often a problem on a lot of cheaper DVD players during dark scenes. Some are worse than others, even some of the midrange player have a problems with artefacts. So squirrel god is right to say its normal on a lot of players. It is often made worse by having the digital noise reduction being turned on on your TV (if it has it). Swap it by all means but I think you will find you still have the problem.

Have you set your player up to output it picture via the scart in rgb mode according to the review this is when the picture is at it's best.

10. RichGC

RichGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh ive had a whale of a time, I took it to the shop and they tested my DVD's on a different player (Same model but another one) and it worked fine so they swapped my old one for there one, got it home plugged it in and BLOCKS, bloody hell i thought so i took it downstairs and plugged it in to the Toshiba still BLOCKS. We have arranged that they will try and send someone up here tuesday...

edit: I have put it through an RGB lead and set it to output RGB but still no change... I think I may have to end up getting a different player, just a player no Home Cinema...