BLOCKED FRIDGE DRAINAGE HOLE

Jeffers613

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an old Electrolux fridge/freezer TR71. The fridge drainage hole has become blocked. I have tried everything eg the useless Electrolux drain hole tool, using a flexible plastic curtain rail (which previously always worked) etc. I think something has gone down which simply can't be removed in the usual way ie from the drainage hole at the back of the fridge.

I have taken a picture of the back of the fridge/freezer - see attached.

Is there anything I can do from the rear?

Could I try putting down a little drain cleaner into the drain hole?

Attachments

• IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,702
Try a long cable tie, if that doesn't work remove the drain pipe and physically clean it in water, there's nothing technical involved.

Thanks 160 Sport. I assume that the 'drain pipe' is the long tube going vertically down the whole length of the back of the fridge (see photo)? Is that correct?

How do I disconnect the pipe at the top - it seems to have some form of cover or cowelling? Does it just pull out or is there some form of screw under this cover?

What about the other end? It seems to disappear inside near the base of the fridge!.

I appreciate that you say that cleaning the draining hole 'used to work' - but are you completely sure that this fridge is meant to have a drainage hole?

Normally I would expect a drainage hole to either feed directly - or via some kind of short connection pipe- to an evaporation tray ( typically of light coloured nylon construction or similar)... but I can see no such device at the back of this fridge.

(It may be down to just limitations of the picture.)

I appreciate that you say that cleaning the draining hole 'used to work' - but are you completely sure that this fridge is meant to have a drainage hole?

Normally I would expect a drainage hole to either feed directly - or via some kind of short connection pipe- to an evaporation tray ( typically of light coloured nylon construction or similar)... but I can see no such device at the back of this fridge.

(It may be down to just limitations of the picture.)

I can see one, the black pipe slap bang in the centre of the fridge.

Just pull the pipe off at the top, unclip it lower down, remove and clean. And yes it feeds down into a drip tray to the compressor, the heat of the compressor then evaporates the water.

Thanks 160 Sport. Please see attached image of the top of the pipe. I pulled back the soft cover to show the pipe. Do I simply pull on the pipe to disconnect it or is there some form of fixed connection eg a nut which I will have to unscrew at this top end to remove the pipe?

Attachments

• IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 549
It will just be a push fit, just bear in mind as you have said it's an old appliance and these items may be brittle. Take your time with it.

Many thanks. Maybe I'll squirt some WD40 and /or a little lubricating oil around the end before I start removing the end as I'm sure that this is the first time the pipe has been touched in over 40 years!

160 sport - I tried as above using WD40 but can't shift the end of the tube! Used a fair amount of force but it won't pull out! Can I try anything else?

160 Sport - good and bad news! I managed to removed the pipe. Looked inside and it is completely bunged up, right at6 the top, with something hard. Might be scale - its impossible to tell. I tried pushing with a small bradawl but can't remove the blockage. Should I try a small amount of drain cleaner or de-scaler?

Let it soak in hot water, if it won't shift then get some replacement pipe maybe from your local domestic appliance shop, although it's nothing special. Any pipe with a similar diameter will do.

Thanks 160 Sport. I'm pretty sure it's a build up of scale over 40 years! I tried hot water but it won't shift.

Is there any STRONG de-scaler I can try?

I will see if I can get piping to fit - my only concern is - where does the other end of the pipe go? It seems to disappear under the fridge? Will that end be easy to disconnect and then fit some new piping?

Thanks 160 Sport. I'm pretty sure it's a build up of scale over 40 years! I tried hot water but it won't shift.

Is there any STRONG de-scaler I can try?

I will see if I can get piping to fit - my only concern is - where does the other end of the pipe go? It seems to disappear under the fridge? Will that end be easy to disconnect and then fit some new piping?

Usually into a tray mounted on top of the compressor. The heat evaporates the water.

Thanks. I used normal de-scaler (without diluting) and managed to clear the drainage pipe which was completely blocked right at the top. Everything fine now! Many thanks for your help and advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom