Blocked drain

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

We have been experiencing gurgling in our kitchen and Utility room sinks, we also have a downpipe at the front that had water marks on the wall to suggest water is spilling out of it.

I recently borrowed a neighbours ladder and found debris/birds nest in the hopper. This has helped but I am still getting the water spilling over the hopper. I think this is due to the pipe that comes from the gutter into the hopper going right to the back. I think I just need to get a 45 or 90 degree angle fitted and that should sort us out on that one. However due to the height my wife has told me someone else is going to do that as she worries about me... bless! :)).

However and the main reason for this thread. I just paid £120 for a company to come out and clear the drain in the street for the waste from the house and the downpipe (there are 2 drains for each one). This took them about 10mins and now the gurgling from the sinks in the house as stopped. So that is good news.

However I feel this is a job I could do myself and just looked on screwfix/machinemart and found drain rods for about £20-30 which seems like a decent investment and a saving. That said there seems to be 2 different types - Monument or Bailey - is there any major differences between these two systems or is it just simply they are 2 companies providing the same products?

D

Deleted member 27989

We have it at times with our Island sink and the route to the outside drains...I used a company previously, then used a drain rod there after...We find that actually pouring in Mr Muscle does just as good a job, keeps it clear for just as long, is cheaper and a lot less messy...

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I doubt it matters for very occasional use. I have a cheap Wickes set that's done the job the couple of times I've had to use it.

I've also found it handy for clearing the gutters over the conservatory.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
The monument usd to connect slightly differently whereby the whole rod doesn't spin to screw the rods together but I think the new monument connect in the same way as the others.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom