Blockbuster's & Warner Bros end spat

rob j

Established Member
Reaction score
I read this today in the Sun financial pages:

BLOCKBUSTER will have an even bigger choice of videos after ending a war yesterday with movie giants WARNER.

The huge rental chain — which has 700 stores in the UK — has refused to stock some of Warner’s recent hits, which include Scooby Doo and Halle Berry action-flick Swordfish.

The row started when Warner began releasing films for rental and for sale at the same time.

It meant Blockbuster — part of an American corporation — didn’t have a chance to rent out the titles before they went on sale.

Now Warner has agreed to stagger releases again as long as Blockbuster stocks all its titles.

Warner’s US home video boss Neil McEwan said: “It is important that our titles are available in Blockbuster UK.”

:clap:

Alternativly the article is here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,9-2003101461,,00.html

the articles i have read in our trade magazines mention nothing about warner staggering release dates again, they simply say blockbuster gave up on the boycott as it wasn't working.

the boycott started with the company Choices video which are a rival to blockbuster, but they came to a quick agreement and the title that was only affected was Training Day which they now stock,

are there are also rumours that Fox will follow Warner, starting with Road To Perdition,

I feel that Blockbuster can't afford to boycott another supplier seeing that Fox was the highest rented company last year,

and also they thought that they needed to have a huge film like the future release of Harry Potter 2, to help rental sales

from pete

Choices are a waste of time who care nothing for the consumer. I used to work for them.

Let's see, The Sun, now why would they be keen on keeping titles off sell thru for as long as possible, hence the spin, hmmm, some connection to Sky Movies, perchance?

KRRK - interesting conspiracy theory but I can't see how the Sun (News International / Fox) can have any influence on Warner / AOL.

For those of us who only buy discs, it can't be good news since it may lead to delays in releases.

KRRK
you are right mate they do, I have got Video Box Office which is a department of Choices, -rentals for shops

and they have gone back on their word and installed another shop 100 yards up the road, when they say they would not do and they said that they would only do a installation nearest would be a mile away

from pete

That's interesting, they did that quite a lot when I worked for them. In one case, they opened a shop two doors down from a video box office outlet.

I didn't say it was all a conspiracy, I just said it was just interesting to the the Sun spinning for all it was worth, when this paper has hardly been a major supporter of the video industry. Remember the 'burn your evil Childs Play' videos kerfuffle?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom