Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Blockbuster price crash

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by SeaneyC, Jun 13, 2003.

1. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Usually the worst place for getting cheap DVDs, blockbuster seem to be clearing out their stock of DVDs right now, Minority Report for £7.99, Austin Powers 3 for £5.99, Spiderman for £7.99, Silence of the Lambs for £4.99, and literally hundreds more titles. Note these are the full retail discs and not ex-rentals. Plus if you're on their mailing list you should get a flyer that gives you a further 10% off these prices.

Wish i had some more free cash! :(

2. sonywebster

sonywebster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    went into blockbuster today got some good deals
    men in black 2(2disc)5.98
    sixth sense(2disc)6.98
    et special edition(2disc)7.98
    hannibal(2disc)7.98
    harry potter(2disc)7.98

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yup, I picked up mib, reign of fire (pv) and silence of the lambs too. Spoke to a mate that works in my local store and he said saving private ryan was 4.98 too but all the copies had been nabbed by staff :(

4. dred

dred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Road To Perdition £8. Sweet.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468

And it still is !!! My advice is simply don't go there. Just bought 3 "new" DVD's from them tonight and not part of their "pre-viewed stock"sale.

Got home and checked them and I have never seen DVD's in a worse state. Scratches, buff marks and smudges everywhere on all three. All this despite being assured by the assistant that they were new ???

Needless to say they go back tomorrow, I'd rather pay more and get decent discs thankyou very much.:thumbsdow

6. ranar

ranar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    managed to pick up:
    1. Minority Report (pre-viewed)
    2. Spiderman (new)
    3. Kung Pow (pre-viewed)
    4. Enigma (pre-viewed)
    5. Ali G in Da House (pre-viewed)

not bad, the lot for 25 quid......

7. Barrovian

Barrovian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Second star to the right and straight on 'till mor
    Ratings:
    +115

Snap! I bought MiB2, supposedly new (I asked) and when I got home and checked it, found it was covered in scratches etc.
    Does anyone know how new DVDs are stored at Blockbuster?? And another thing that ticked me off was that the price label had been applied to the actual paper cover, instead of on the outside of the plastic case. Left a stain when I peeled it off:mad:

8. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Blockbuster store all their dvds in cardboard sleaves in drawers behind the cash desk, however I have brought several new titles from them recently and they have been spotless even after coming out of the sleave. I presume some stores are more careful than others in this area. I always check the discs just outside the store though to save a trip back if they are scratched.
    I would never buy any 'Pre-viewed' titles though as they are usually rental versions without special features and usually cost the same as picking up the full title on the internet.:rolleyes: :)

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I admit I tend to avoid pre viewed for the same reasons as mentioned, but I have had some cracking deals in the past.

I picked up a pre viewed 2 disc copy of snatch just over a year ago which was identical in every way to the retail version for just £4.99 and it was as new. I've also picked up a few titles in the past well before any retail version was available, like point break and pulp fiction. Both for very little money. I think they are quite good for films your not too fussed about and just want to have the film and no extras.

Sure a lot of ex rentals are scratched but they have always exchanged these for me when I have asked (assuming they had more in stock).

10. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Well I took mine back only too be greeted by an idiot who said it was just slight dust on the discs.

Dust = Scratches ? Well he attempted to clean the scratches... I mean dust off, and then offered me straight a refund (they had no more copies of the films left.)

Now I'm not sure whether it was this particular stores stock that was dodgy and I don't doubt some of you have got bargains. But I guess it don't figure that a rental place will be the best place to pick up the best discs in future.