1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blockbuster Movies in 2017 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mark Hodgkinson, May 31, 2017.

1. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,381
    2. Jessica Noir

Jessica Noir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +299
      Wow... it's almost like the studios don't want us going anywhere near the cinema! ;)

Dunkirk, Kingsman, Atomic Blonde and Blade Runner 2049 will be opening night for me, but one of the most anticipated, Edgar Wright's Baby Driver isn't on the list! Real shame as this could be the sleeper of the summer.

BABY DRIVER - Official International Trailer (HD)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,658
      We have the same discussion every year, and lament the 'state' of cinema, but the list strikes me as absolutely typical of any other movie year of this era. Lots of commercially driven tentpole releases, a smattering of new ideas, continuations of popular franchises, and the usual quality spectrum of bad to good. I'll check out most of those.

Agree about Baby Driver @Jessica Noir but it might have competition of its own:
      LUCKY LOGAN Trailer (2017)

Too early to tell if either of them will be busting any blocks though.

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +585
      The studios put out what the public demands and who can blame them for that. There are, of course, independent and non-English productions if you care to track them down. Releases are not all the block-buster variety. The multiplexes leave you with plenty of choice plus
      live transmissions. Despite years of decline in the industry new cinemas are now opening all the time often providing a luxury experience far removed from the traditional Cola and popcorn establishments. Take a virtual tour round this new Sheffield cinema.

The Light Cinema Experience - Sheffield

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    5. Jessica Noir

Jessica Noir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +299
      I'd be very happy if both of them turned a health profit, but I think guff like Transformers won't be seeing either as competition. Logan Lucky looks great, good to see Soderbergh have some fun with his return to film.

6. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,418
      I can't deny that a lot of these will be watched as and when they come to SkyQ as I do enjoy watching a good action movie. I know most of these are not exactly Oscar winning movies but as the thread is 'Blockbuster' movies, not arthouse, indie or potential oscar winning list it's what I expected to see.

7. Jessica Noir

Jessica Noir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +299
      Fair enough, but Baby Driver and Lucky Logan have budgets compatible to a good few of the movies on this list and are commercial films with name actors and from exciting directors. I didn't mean to moan about the state of studio tent poles, but I do like to champion films which are getting summer releases which (potentially) will be remembered far longer than Transformers: Optimus Prime's Big Fat Greek Wedding.

And this is from someone who has seen Alien Covenant twice and has the 4K steelbook pre-ordered so I'm not a film snob.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    8. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +958
      Thank god for Paddington.....the rest you can keep!

9. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,658
      I liked Alien Covenant too. Far from the worst blockbuster this year. In fact I've enjoyed most of the tentpoles of 2017: Wick, Logan, Kong, Guardians and Fast & Furious 18.

10. Winnie1221

Winnie1221

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +164
      Being a Cineworld Unlimited card holder i go to the Cinema A LOT! And I love it. I'll never get bored of going to the movies, whether that's for a classy thriller or drama or a "don't have to think about the story" action flick. I'll be going to see most of the movies above and lots more that aren't listed! Most of the time movies are made to make money so the Movie studios make the movies that they think people want to see. For every person who doesn't want to watch the latest Transformers there will be someone who does (I will be the latter). Movies are an escape, they can tell a story. I think we are lucky that movies have come on so much, the technology is getting better and better and anything is possible these days.

11. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,418
      I am looking forward to seeing Transformers too. I know its most likely to be similar to others in a lot of ways but I don't care. Most of the films on this list are entertaining. I wouldn't want to watch a Schindlers List, some convoluted period drama etc every night.

In some ways the gaming world mirrors the movie world. You have your blockbusters that sell in the millions (CoD, Fifa, Transformers, Marvel) enjoyed by many but unlikely to win Game/Film of the Year but are 'relatively' dependable to bring something 'fun' and a certain amount of reliability and predictability too.

Occasionally you may get a bigger change, something 'new' or unexpected - like Mark Wahlburg and no Shia LeBeouf, Advanced Movement in CoD, Campaign in Fifa etc and maybe these divide opinion but the core aspects are still retained, they still deliver the content you expect.

However you also get the films/games that may not sell as well but you know will do well at the the end of year awards ceremonies.

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +958
      Blimey I've missed 10 films !

13. Fillumgeek

Fillumgeek

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +614

We do, and you are much more forgiving than I am. There are some solid gold releases this year, your Star Wars, Blade Runner (non franchise especially with that director), looks like Wonder Woman, I'd add Logan and Guardians 2 (which were both really good flicks) and then we move into the dross category...

Pirates 5, Alien: Covenant (which could have so much better). Baywatch, in 2017, really?

I guess arguments around "my childhood, earlier years were better than now" is always a bit silly, however I believe it has some merits as cinema has become more corporate and based on spread-sheets. Computer says Pirates 5 is a good idea, someone with taste, says "not really".

At least we have the option of watching previous decades' films on Blu-Ray and streaming etc.

I'm still going to miss the 70s/80s and 90s though, I was too young for the 70s first time round obviously...

14. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      I don't know, I still really look forward to blockbuster season every year, but come away with increasingly diminished satisfaction than when I was younger. Don't know if that's due to "corporate greed" strategy or just getting old? :D

15. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +958

The reason you feel that way is that even though we trek out to see the endless sequels they have generally lost their original spark and are re-treading old ground... hence the feeling of having seen it all before
      The films that often have a bigger impact are NEW ones. Hence everyone loved the first guardians of the galaxy, Deadpool and i expect wonderwoman
      Will do well also

Familiarity breeds contempt....

16. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      True, although I'm still enjoying the FATF films. :)

17. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      I notice you chose your words quite carefully, i.e. no parts of your sentence included "brain", "door" and "leave", as some people (and when I say some people, I mean @lucasisking) have a Network style meltdown at the mere utterance of that well worn phrase.

:D

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    18. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +958
      I think many films can be classified mindless fun
      it's the ones that are mindless and not fun I have a problem with.....and there are many also

19. Fillumgeek

Fillumgeek

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +614
      As I get older actually I have tended to watch more brainless movies, on account of having little time to actually go to the movies - maybe now it is 4-5 times a year, or okay maybe 6-7. So I go for the big ones.

And perhaps I am not that jaded because I was very excited with the Force Awakens, despite some minor flaws and that sense of familiarity there in the plotline.

The point I make and Mr Lucas often disagrees, is that we didn't have the frequency of sequels and reboots in the 70s - 90s. Now we did have plenty of dross it is true! This seems to be the age of Fast the Furious 8 and Transformers 5 (West Ham United 3 boom boom).

This seems to be the age where people think Terminator: Genitalis and The Mummy with Tom bleedin' Cruise are both GOOD IDEAS.

I'm saying the average release is a bit more cruddy and generic than it was 20 years, which I can't prove
      obviously.

That, and your L.A. Confidential type movie which would have a serious budget equivalent to about 90 million doesn't exist anymore. Those stories are on television.

--and in my closing point I would like to cite two MORE Alien prequels and FOUR Avatars as examples of corporate entities that don't need to exist other than to titillate someone's bank balance. Fun times people.

20. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,418
      As far as I remember, the 70's-90's had a lot of 'brainless' action movies with corny 1-liners - Rambo, Die Hard and a number of Schwarzenegger movies. We certainly had a lot of sequels - especially in Horror movies. Alien may still be around but Aliens, and Aliens 3 followed, Predator 1 and 2, How many Friday the 13th movies were there for example. We also had movies like Critters, Back to the future trilogy, a number of Star Trek movies, Rocky, Karate Kid, Robocop etc. Also the Pink Panther movies too. Superhero movies weren't exempt either as the Christopher Reeve era of Superman, 3 or 4 movies with Nicholas Hammond as Spider-Man (I won't mention the Sam Raimi movies as they came out in the 2000's), Swamp Thing, Batman, the Crow and I bet there was some Hulk movies with Lou Ferrigno - all had more the a 'one-off' movie release.

Of course if you want to look at non-US studios and eras before the 70's, the Japanese made a lot of Godzilla movies too and the UK made a lot of James Bond, Carry on and St Trinians movies for example...

The Fast and the Furious, Star Wars etc franchises still have a way to go to catch up with James Bond and Carry On movies...

21. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,840
      Isn't this thread a little late ? I thought the blockbuster season started at the end of March

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    22. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,658
      No, I wouldn't necessarily agree. Its true that television is where some of the best stories can be found, but thats because TV has got better (and makes more money) rather than films getting worse. Films like The Departed and American Gangster had mahoosive budgets. Even smaller budget offerings like The Town, Gone Baby Gone, Drive and Lawless did rather well financially. The crime film is alive and well.

You could argue of course that LA:C is better than all of those (I know its a favourite of yours) however the 90s was wall-to-wall crime films thanks to the likes of Scorcese and Tarantino popularising the genre. The law of averages says you're going to get some good-uns in that decade.

They are good ideas, until proved otherwise. As always, the free market decides. Cruise can still sell movies (by an large- he didn't help Edge of Tomorrow). Terminator Genitals was a marketing disaster and a critical flop, only 'saved' by the overseas market. The brand is still commercially viable (if not creatively) so we can pretty much expect another Terminator film- just not a sequel to Genisys!

23. Fillumgeek

Fillumgeek

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +614
      Terminator: G was a bad idea, this can be proven by science.

:laugh:

And explain to me in less than 30 words why a reboot of The Mummy (1999) with Tom Cruise
      is a good idea?

24. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,418
      The Mummy (1999) was more an action 'comedy' and this appears to be more an action 'horror'. It appears to be 'darker' and aimed at a more 'mature' audience. It also has a higher IMDb rating too...

25. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,658
      I can do it in less: brand recognition + star power = big bucks and potential franchise.

To elaborate, The Mummy is a brand-recognised thing same as King Kong or Batman or Tarzan or Dracula. So we should expect Hollywood to re-brand/ reboot it on a regular basis. Tom Cruise still (just about) sells movies. The studio will be hoping that combo will be enough.

Last year's Tarzan had the brand but not the star, Ghost In the Shell had the star but no-one knew about anime.

The formula may or may not pay off, time will tell. It's risky business but I'd say a calculated risk. If it belly flops, they'll come back to the brand in the future with another cast and tone. If it works- franchise ahoy!

26. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,313
      Dunkirk for me opening night, i will see anything that Chris Nolan puts out there the man is a genius ..also curious to see what they have done with bladerunner..will see the mummy as both oblivion and edge of tomorrow with tom in were great

27. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +958
      after hacksaw ridge, Fury & saving Ryan's privates,

I'm not in a great rush to see another gritty WW2 shoot em up

28. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,418

Not interested in building the hype up and getting excited for CoD:WW2? :D :D

Watch Dunkirk on the big screen and then get to play it on the small screen... LOL

29. Winnie1221

Winnie1221

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +164
      Talking about The Mummy and movie Franchises and re-makes, it looks like Universals 'Dark Universe' is going to be re-done. Quite an interesting video with The Mummy director Alex Kurtzman who explains what they're doing with Universal's monsters (Frankenstein, Invisible Man etc). It actually sounds interesting and one worth keeping an eye on.

The article is here on IGN...

13 Essential Facts about Dark Universe (Universal's Shared Monster Universe) - IGN

30. Fillumgeek

Fillumgeek

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +614
      You haven't demonstrated why that would be a good idea, only how the accountants might view it.

Tom Cruise sells movies - yes. Tom Cruise associate with the Mummy, feels forced.

Ghost In the Shell - "no one knew about anime" - really? Either the film was not mainstream enough or fans of the original concepts were not drawn to seeing Scarlett in it.

Yes they will try everything over and over again. Be it Robocop, Big Trouble in Little China, Scarface.

Actually Scarface is an interesting one: the story seems to be one that really suits recycling. You take the basic ingredients and stick a modern interpretation of morals, setting, ethnicity etc and this has worked really well, so far.

I will always maintain that Pirates 5,6,7, Transformers 9 etc are just a waste of pixels, you may was well be watching Michael Bay oiling himself on the beach.

Let's see how the Dark Universe goes. Yes, horror geeks or film historians might like the idea, but will it appeal in 2017?

My argument goes: to make a successful blockbuster you have to have one hell of a killer idea that crosses over to a few different demographics. The make a viable FILMIC UNIVERSE you need a fantastic level of discipline, and planning, onto the formula for a massive blockbuster. Just pissing in the pond saying, "The kids are gonna love Russell Crowe as Victor Frankenstein or whatever just isn't going to cut it.....in my view.