1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blockbuster and Pan&Scan

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by LV426, Jan 15, 2002.

1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Found this at michaeldvd.com.au :

Blockbuster asking for 4:3 DVDs? - by Shane L
    There has been a rumour spreading about Blockbuster putting pressure on the movie studios to make DVDs in 4:3 formats in preference to 16:9 due to supposed "consumer demand".
    After contacting Blockbuster in Australia about the benefits of widescreen formatting (where relevant), their response was as below:

I'm not sure where you would have heard that Blockbuster put in a request to major studios that supply their films on DVD for them to supply them in Pan and Scan or Full Frame formats instead of Widescreen 16:9, but nothing could be further from the truth. I think a friend mentioned he had heard that rumour on the internet, but I can assure you that it simply isn't the case.

I couldn't agree with you more that Widescreen is here to stay and is a vastly superior format. In fact, I personally have gone out and purchased a Widescreen television to take advantage of the enhanced experience and I "strongly encourage" studios to offer the "Widescreen" viewing option whenever possible.

The good news is that Blockbuster has exactly the same position as you do and I share your belief that as the public becomes better educated on the benefits of Widescreen they will share your view.

Regards,

Phil McNutt
    Director of Product
    Blockbuster Australia

Excellent news for the aussies. I suspect that a firm the size of Blockbuster has some influence. I wonder if the same corporate view exists here and in the US.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hollywood doesn't need and will not stand for any major corporation putting pressure on it to produce movies and DVD's in a certain way for them. It certainly will not.

When Hollywood decides to screw up a release of any title, it !*?#'s it up all on its own, without any outside help!

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rental dvd of stir of echoes (kevin bacon thriller) was 4:3, not even widescreen (let alone anamorphic).
    let's hope this kind of abomination goes the same way as the flipper.