blockbuster and hd dvd

pat clancy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi al,just popped into local branch,the bloke says they willonly ever hav bluray t rent and buy,ni hdvd,interestin,i dont buy i only rent movies,pat

:D praps he nt undrstnd the txt spk? ? :rotfl:

hi al,just popped into local branch,the bloke says they willonly ever hav bluray t rent and buy,ni hdvd,interestin,i dont buy i only rent movies,pat
pat is your keyboard working properly?

To answer the OP, there have been what I believe are rumours to the effect that Sony and the BDA have contracted BB to only carry BD as the HD format; thereby contractually excluding BB from carrying HD DVD.

No idea as to the validity of this, what I believe to be a, rumour.

On a personal note, I emailed BB.com and asked them when they were going to carry the HD formats and got a form letter response back saying something along the lines of BB being aware that there is consumer interest in BD, HD DVD, UMD movies and Wii, 360, PSP and PS3 games, and that BB were looking into carrying some or all of these at some point in the future to "carry on the superb consumer experience with BB etc. blah blah".

PS This thread will probably get moved to the DVD suppliers/rental section.

Monday 18th June 2007

Blockbuster is to exclude HD DVD from a major expansion of its high-definition movie rental business.
The world's leading video rental firm has announced that only Blu-ray discs will be available in the 1,700 stores that will be stocking HD discs for the first time.

Blockbuster's HD DVD inventory will be restricted to the 250 stores that currently offer both formats as well as its online rentals service.

Matthew Smith, Blockbuster's senior vice president of merchandising, said that in those 250 stores, Blu-ray accounted for 70% of HD rentals.

"We intend to meet the demands of our customers and based on the trends we're seeing, we're expanding our Blu-ray inventory to ensure our stores reflect the right level of products," says Smith. "While it is still too early to say which high-definition format will become the industry standard, we will continue to closely monitor customer rental patterns both at our stores and online, so we can adjust our inventory mix accordingly and ensure that Blockbuster is offering customers the most convenient access to the movies they want, in the format they want."

Blockbuster's decision can only shorten the odds on Blu-ray prevailing over the rival HD DVD technology. While there is a strong case for arguing that HD DVD is a better bet for consumers, Blu-ray has the backing of more Hollywood studios, which means more titles. More titles means more sales, and as Blockbuster has revealed, more rentals, despite some evidence that HD DVD players are selling just as well as Blu-ray boxes. Perhaps Sony's decision to put a Blu-ray drive in every PlayStation 3 is having the impact it hoped for.

The HD DVD Promotional Group said Blockbuster's move was short-sighted.

Mod Comment raigraphixs do be more careful posting and check what you have. I just spent the best part of 15 minutes deleting a plethora of repeat post of yours.:lesson:

Mod Comment raigraphixs do be more careful posting and check what you have. I just spent the best part of 15 minutes deleting a plethora of repeat post of yours.:lesson:

Garrett, really sorry, the forum was really playing up for me earlier today when trying to post, keep getting a disconnect message, and it was very slow and it always seemed that the post never went through. Finally i only saw one post, which is weird, and now just seen your messages, i cant believe the dupe posts, :oops: I'll be more careful.

thanks

Yes they have gone for the superior format (blu ray)

I thought they split their new HD purchases according to the current HD Market split, across both formats.

I thought they split their new HD purchases according to the current HD Market split, across both formats.

I'm in LA at the moment and driving into work it was actually on the radio that they will only be stocking BR titles now. Doesn't really matter as Blockbuser is losing alot of their market share with other companies offering better\cheaper\more variety internet and mail services.

I was in my local Blockbuster today getting some dvd's to watch, and noticed that they only have BlueRay. What a joke. The guy actually had the nerve to point out that the Gamestation (in the store) sells HDDVD titles though, or I should buy a PS3.
I pointed out that I had no intention of paying £24.99 for 'Goodfellas' on HD, or for that matter £439 for a PS3.

aye , right. this is a joke. If I wasn't off work ill today I wouldn't have hired out the 3 sdDVDs I got as a protest. certainly wont be going back.

I'm in LA at the moment and driving into work it was actually on the radio that they will only be stocking BR titles now. Doesn't really matter as Blockbuser is losing alot of their market share with other companies offering better\cheaper\more variety internet and mail services.

What Blockbuster said and how it is reported on radio / internet may be two different things though :D BB were quite clear about HD DVD and how they intend to support it, it is basically down to current market split, if that changes, either way, so will they, following their market. It was a very pragmatic statement if read on the original source that has been VERY poorly reported.

I must have rented many 100s or maybe even 1000s of DVDs from BB over the years - If they had taken in HD-DVD id have rented 100s of HD-DVDs aswell.

They cannot tell what their customers want if they dont stock both. They have just jumped into bed with Sony. Amusing really as my local is still trying to shift the tonnes of PS3 stock they have left from the PS3 Launch:rotfl:They couldnt see all the signs it wasnt going to sell like Sony were claiming.

I have had to take my HD business elsewhere.

Its a shame really - the PS3 really is second maybe 3rd best for games and not much use if your a gamer in comparason to the 360 - but BDs are easier to get hold of over HD-DVDs. I simply cannot justify having a 360 & HD-DVD add-on and PS3 sitting under my TV to cover all bases so I guess im sticking with HD-DVD for now.

I've recently just left a job at Blockbusters so I can say that HD DVD really isn't a priority of the company as they clearly have made a pact with the devil, sorry, Sony. I have a HD DVD Drive for my Xbox and was gutted when I was told I couldn't get any free HD DVD rents. How Blockbuster can claim to give "an exceptional experience" is beyond me if they can't even offer customers both formats. Oh, the BR Films we did have to rent/buy sat gathering dust on the shelves by the way. Ha ha ha ha!

My local BB is selling HDDVDs. Cant understand why they wont rent them out!

More gain to Lovefilm!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom