Block ads on LG TV by changing DNS

Ascoyne

Novice Member
Hi guys, non-techie old guy seeking advice please.

I've just bought an LG smart TV. I like it and would love to block annoying adverts if possible. I assumed it wasn't something that could be done but I've come across a youtube video entitled "How To Remove Adverts From SMART TV In Only 2 Minutes".

It suggests editing the DNS (whatever that is) to 176.103.130.130.

Is this possible? Does it work? Is it likely to have unforeseen consequences? What happens when the Ads are on? Are there other/better options?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

rpr

I've not got any ads on my LG OLED. Maybe it's because I don't have Home Promotion or Personalised Recomendations switched on?

Ascoyne

Novice Member
I'm sorry I don't understand your reply. Do you watch commercial channels like ITV and get no adverts?

next010

Distinguished Member
It's partially possible but takes a lot of work, editing DNS wont work.

LG's WebOS contacts internet servers for advertisements and while its possible to block some of these servers others cannot be blocked because the app your using has the ads embedded within it (e.g. Youtube app).

This only applies to internet video services, regular broadcast TV cannot be blocked.

What you need is a Raspberry Pie mini computer, the Pie Hole blocking software and the list of IP addresses LG uses, and all these combined act as a network level blocker intercepting the IP traffic the TV is sending but setting this up is very technical.

You could try blocking some of those LG servers via your network router if it has the capability, that might avoid the need to use the above. You'd have to login to your broadband routers configuration page and look around for any website blocking feature.

Ascoyne

Novice Member
It's partially possible but takes a lot of work, editing DNS wont work.

LG's WebOS contacts internet servers for advertisements and while its possible to block some of these servers others cannot be blocked because the app your using has the ads embedded within it (e.g. Youtube app).

This only applies to internet video services, regular broadcast TV cannot be blocked.

What you need is a Raspberry Pie mini computer, the Pie Hole blocking software and the list of IP addresses LG uses, and all these combined act as a network level blocker intercepting the IP traffic the TV is sending but setting this up is very technical.

You could try blocking some of those LG servers via your network router if it has the capability, that might avoid the need to use the above. You'd have to login to your broadband routers configuration page and look around for any website blocking feature.
Thanks for that. In view of what you say I won't bother, I'll just revert to recording what I can and fast forwarding through the ads.

rpr

I'm sorry I don't understand your reply. Do you watch commercial channels like ITV and get no adverts?
Err no, if only, I assumed you were refering to LG ads on the TV itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom