Blob of solder in PSU. Dangerous?

Michael

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Today, I recieved my lovely new Antec 300, and love the organisation inside.

However, on installing my (also new) Corsair 650W Tx, I noticed a rattle when moving it (the PSU).
On futher inspection, I noticed a small blob of solder, the size of a small pea, rattling around inside.
After a little rotation, I managed to tilt it out through the fan (pics to follow, lemmie find my camera;))

Is this normal?
Is it safe for me to be using? (I'll use my old one if not)
Should I be trying to contact the suplier?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

I would of not go as far as connecting to the pc, that would off been straight back, no it is not normal and last thing you need is a flaky Psu :mad:

I knew this upgrade had gone too smoothly.
Sigh...

Should I phone the suplier or Corsair directly?

Also, piccy, since I took it anyway :D
Michael_Solder.jpg

phone suppler mate, they should do you a straight swapout without issues, as Corsair do have a very good Support with companys.

Brilliant, thanks for the help mate :smashin:
I don't think I'd have been stupid enough to connect it anyway, but I have been known to be stupid.

Now to spend my saturday morning on the phone to the supplier...
Ah well, these things happen.

no problem :smashin: i know it can be Annoying when you get Faulty hardware :mad:

have you considered a Psu tester? this is the first thing i use before connecting to Pc , as you can get faulty power leads as well, which you never check.. and i have had :thumbsdow i.e live was touching earth :mad:

i have this.
Scan.co.uk: PST-201SE - Xclio PSU Doctor and Port Tester with LED - 20/24pin + A Must for all Resellers and Technical People

but thinking of getting this,
Scan.co.uk: 0761345-77204-4 - Antec Digital PC PSU Power Tester

Antec - Digital PSU Power Tester

Better plugged in them than your pc.

Sorry to bother you again, but one last question...
Do I just print off the label, attatch it to the box, then ship it back?

They accepted my DOA report, so hopefully I will get the replacement in a few days.

Thanks again :)

Sorry to bother you again, but one last question...
Do I just print off the label, attatch it to the box, then ship it back?

They accepted my DOA report, so hopefully I will get the replacement in a few days.

Thanks again :)

no problem Michael .. :)

is that what they sent you via Email? then yes, make sure you keep the Rma number safe and get a receipt upon dropping off at post office , also is it free postage?
you should get no problems on swap , at least you get to open a new sealed box again, i love that , then i get board again :D

It's via their site, but they also emailed me.
I'll PM you the advice for returning, as I'm not sure if posting via PO would count.
Also, I believe that I have to pay return postage, then it will be refunded up to £5.

Return postage :eek: it should be free , it is there faulty item they sent out.. what company?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom