Blinking Power Light on Marantz PM6006 : Help Needed

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
I did actually consider the Audiolab 6000A but I just felt that the Rotel suited my requirements more as the focus seemed to be more on build quality, removing extra functionality to make the amplifier an affordable price. I don't need bells and whistles just build quality. I also think the Rotel is a very pretty design. I am also guilty of - I know Rotel - so I trust them - never heard of Audiolab. I have ordered the Rotel earlier today.
Good for you, let us know how you like it :) I agree with @Helix Hifi that Rotel is on a leaner-sounding side, but if that is your thing, you will be more than happy.

Kapkirk

I have had both the Rotel A11 and the Audiolab 6000, I'd say the Audiolab sounded slightly better, a little more meat on the bones to the sound, lively and upbeat without being aggressive. The rotel has a more exact polite detailed presentation. If you don't like the Rotel definitely try the Audiolab.

Heavenlysounds

Standard Member
polite detailed presentation.
I like that description! Yes I am aware that the Rotel does lack a bit of punch but is touted to have a much cleaner sound. For what we want to use it for, I think the Rotel will be better. It is one of the reasons I chose this amp as we don't want an in your face blast of sound, but rather a more detailed clarity of sound. I am looking forward to trying out the amplifier next week.

Helix Hifi

Rotel does indeed have punchy bass, but the bass is not as full sounding as Marantz. And many other brands too.

I would not describe the sound as polite, in fact it is very upfront. Lean bass, but as mentioned punchy.

More in your face sound, which quickly gets tiring.

Kapkirk

I like that description! Yes I am aware that the Rotel does lack a bit of punch but is touted to have a much cleaner sound. For what we want to use it for, I think the Rotel will be better. It is one of the reasons I chose this amp as we don't want an in your face blast of sound, but rather a more detailed clarity of sound. I am looking forward to trying out the amplifier next week.
In that case I think you are going to love it.

Heavenlysounds

Standard Member
Interesting that two people have a completely different view of the Rotel. My understanding of the Rotel is that it is not an in your face sound - which I agree gets very tiring quickly. The Rotel A11 has been described as not punchy in your face tiring bass. Maybe the A11 is different from other Rotels Helix Hifi?

Kapkirk

Interesting that two people have a completely different view of the Rotel. My understanding of the Rotel is that it is not an in your face sound - which I agree gets very tiring quickly. The Rotel A11 has been described as not punchy in your face tiring bass. Maybe the A11 is different from other Rotels Helix Hifi?
Not sure if Helix has had the A11 tribute, I think he had the more powerful 1572 which probably sounds a bit different. I did have one for a short time but it wasn't for me. I found the amp kept clicking when listening to different tracks over Bluetooth and the sound lacked a bit of oomph.

Helix Hifi

Perhaps my sentiments are wrong, not listed to A11. This amplifier is tuned by legendary Kenny Ishwata. He worked with Marantz for decades.

Marantz has gentle sound, not tiring. This could also be the case with the A11 amplifier. As long as you’re happy, then that’s all that matters.

Helix Hifi

I also noticed clicking noises. Annoying! Also other bizarre issues. RA1572MK2 indeed is powerful, but lacks emotion.

It emphasizes too much on drive, dynamics. I like sound which is relaxing, dynamic at the same the same time.

I’ve read Audiolab does this perfectly.

Kapkirk

All this talk of amp amps speakers, I think I might have the upgrade bug again.
I am now eying up 3 different new amps, The Rega Atheos, the Exposure 3510, and the Copland CSA70, the latter might be pushing it a bit though. 3 fantastic amps which should see me right for the next 10 years. Then later new speakers to go with them ATC SCM19, or maybe Dynaudio special 40s or something from Spendor ..or even those new beautiful Mission 770's. OH DEAR. I need to find a life without hi fi.

Helix Hifi

I would keep you’re current amplifier, I see no reason to buy a new one.

Why should switch an amplifier made in Japan?

They run like clock work.

Copland isn’t that danish brand?

Helix Hifi

The speakers on the other hand. The point is it’s difficult to get the perfect synergy, which you of course know.

Sometimes it’s best not change anything.

Kapkirk

Yeah I know but my system could do with a bit more excitement, especially at lower volumes, and then of course is the desirability. You always have that nagging doubt that your system can sound even better than it is now. I have no intention of changing the speakers, they constantly amaze me for what they cost. I wonder if the atheos could inject that extra bit of excitement.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
All this talk of amp amps speakers, I think I might have the upgrade bug again.
I am now eying up 3 different new amps, The Rega Atheos, the Exposure 3510, and the Copland CSA70, the latter might be pushing it a bit though. 3 fantastic amps which should see me right for the next 10 years. Then later new speakers to go with them ATC SCM19, or maybe Dynaudio special 40s or something from Spendor ..or even those new beautiful Mission 770's. OH DEAR. I need to find a life without hi fi.
There is no life outside Hi-Fi. You are stuck with us forever :)
I can see you only have bookshelf speakers, have you thought about a small floorstander? I understand that you have space constraints? Maybe something simple like KEFQ500, or Dynaudio Evoke 30?

Kapkirk

There is no life outside Hi-Fi. You are stuck with us forever :)
I can see you only have bookshelf speakers, have you thought about a small floorstander? I understand that you have space constraints? Maybe something simple like KEFQ500, or Dynaudio Evoke 30?
Tell me about it, I've had lots of different floor standers in the past, MA bronze 5 Silver 200's, Opticon 6, they don't work too well in my room, I prefer a good small stand mount. Already tried the Evoke 20's and Dali Rubycon 2's and didn't think they were worth the huge amount in cost over my DBR Ref62's.

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Tell me about it, I've had lots of different floor standers in the past, MA bronze 5 Silver 200's, Opticon 6, they don't work too well in my room, I prefer a good small stand mount. Already tried the Evoke 20's and Dali Rubycon 2's and didn't think they were worth the huge amount in cost over my DBR Ref62's.
I know it's an oddball but try Chario Ghibli if you can. I like them very much and most people haven't heard about them. They have a little warm presentation, a spectacular soundstage and they can easily fill 18 msq.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom