Blinking on BBC HD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Frozenman77, Aug 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Frozenman77

Frozenman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 46YL863, which is under a year old. I can best describe the problem as 'blinking', particularly during scene/camera changes. Sometimes I also get a slight scale change as well, but only every-so-often. It's driving me mad!

The TV has been repaired under Toshiba warranty without quibble, but I still have the same problem. They changed the main-board, but it has made no difference.

I have read about some Sony and Samsung TV's with the same issue? Does anyone know anything about the fault, what causes it, and if it can be rectified?

Thanks

2. loafer

loafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had a Samsung UE40F8000 that suffered from the problem I think you're referring to. I lived with with the problem for 3 weeks before I gave up and returned the TV for a refund.

I managed to track the source of the problem to the Freeview HD channels switching between 1080p and 1080i. This technique was introduced in 2011 and is intended to save some bandwidth to make room for the fifth HD channel. The BBC HD channels seem to use it the most - often switching between 1080p and 1080i and back again several times during a program. It very often occurs on scene changes especially a static scene (1080p) to a scene containing movement (1080i). A good repeatable example is on the BBC Red Button HD promo loop on channel 303. At the beginning of the loop, the picture consists of a static BBC Red Button HD screen which is 1080p. When the loop starts showing action it switches to 1080i which caused the picture on my Samsung TV to 'blink'.

I'm surprised this problem has not been noticed by more Samsung TV owners. Perhaps they don't watch Freeview.

3. Frozenman77

Frozenman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Loafer.

Yes, your description is exactly what my TV is doing. Toshiba have now replaced the main board, but the problem still remains the same.

They are now saying they can't replicate the problem, haven't had any other sets suffer from the same problem, and recommend I fit an aerial isolator and a signal booster!

Will keep you posted on progress.

4. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,810
    Guys, I had the same issue on my Sony 55HX823 and turning off the picture processing modes is what cured it. It's not an error, more of a quirk in the system, because all those lovely motion/reality enhancers aren't designed to seamlessly deal with the source changing resolutions on the fly, not to mention the TV possibly having different picture adjustments and overscan settings for 1080i and 1080p respectively. Try and line up the settings in 1080i and 1080p broadcasts as closely as you can and turn off all picture processing, that should sort it.

5. Frozenman77

Frozenman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Geoff_D. I thought it could be one of the motion processing modes too, but I've now systematically been through every combination of settings and the problem remains.

Samsung have now said (after trying three different main boards), they aren't prepared to carry out any more repairs. I must now take it up with the retailer......not them.

I bought the TV from CPC Farnell about 10 months ago and they've been brilliant. Offered me a full refund and organised a courier to collect it at a time to suit me. I'd highly recommend their services to anyone. I'd still love to hear from anyone with the same issue, just out of curiosity.

Thanks for everyone's input.

6. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,810
    Hmmm. Whatever non-defeatable processing the Samsungs are doing obviously can't cope with the i/p switching, either that or it's the tuners themselves. Glad you got it sorted, one way or another!!