Blink Mini indoor security camera - £14.99 for Amazon Prime customers via Echo device (ends today)

mikej

Just a heads-up that Amazon Prime customers can currently get a Blink Mini indoor security camera for £14.99 if you order it via Alexa on an Echo device (RRP £34.99)

FB_IMG_1602621249137_2.jpg

I ordered one via my Echo Dot last night and it was added to my basket within the Amazon shopping app on my phone. It showed at the Prime Day price of £24.99 initially, but this reduced to £14.99 once you went to check out.

The recently-introduced cloud storage fees make the Blink cameras much harder to recommend to new customers, but for anyone like myself who already has a Blink XT2 set-up at home and also wants a bit of indoor coverage then that price is a bit of a bargain, mainly because you can use this camera with your existing free cloud storage plan, provided you had a Blink account with the free cloud storage option before 15th April this year. Blink Mini FAQs are here if you want to check the small print.

The Blink Mini isn't perfect (reviews are mixed) and won't suit everyone (live view is in 30 second bursts and not continuous, for example) so make sure you read up on the reviews before buying, but for £15 for an existing Blink user like myself with no extra cloud storage charges, I thought it was worth a punt !

If you don't qualify for the free cloud storage, then these cameras can be used without the cloud subscription and (I think) you'll still get motion alerts and be able to use live view (30 seconds at a time), but your only option for saving the clips will be to an SD card via the new sync module (once it's released) if you want to avoid the monthly charges.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Keep meaning to take a look at these and almost had a punt the other day but for £15 I'll give it a go.

They're releasing a local recording box soon for around £50 so no cloud subscription needed.

mikej

Keep meaning to take a look at these and almost had a punt the other day but for £15 I'll give it a go.

They're releasing a local recording box soon for around £50 so no cloud subscription needed.

The Blink cameras in general definitely aren't what I'd call a hardcore security product by any means, but the two outside XT2 cameras I have work well and the batteries are coming up for a year old, which is good. No worries about battery life with the Mini though, as it obviously plugs in.

Reviews of the Mini seem to be very mixed (with some people reporting it struggling with the transition between daytime and night mode for example) but I only need it for casual use, so it was definitely worth a look for me.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I have 2 of these and they work really well.
One is in my daughters room and has replaced the Baby Monitor and the other in the Front room just as a bit of security for when we go out I guess.

@mikej
Would you recommend the Blink XT2 Outside Cameras then ?
Thinking of getting 2 for outside just to cover the front garden and back garden as a deterrent.
2 Camera system is £135 on Amazon at the moment as the new ones come out end of the month.

mikej

Would you recommend the Blink XT2 Outside Cameras then ?
Thinking of getting 2 for outside just to cover the front garden and back garden as a deterrent.
2 Camera system is £135 on Amazon at the moment as the new ones come out end of the month.

I bought a couple of Blink XT2 cameras in the Black Friday sales last year. I went for 2 x one-camera systems at a cost of £75 each (instead of 1 x two-camera system @ £135) because each came with a free Echo Dot (which were £30-£50 at the time) and I figured the extra sync module might come in useful if the cameras were at opposite ends of the house. The cameras need to be within range of both your wi-fi and a sync module.

I've got one of them at the front of my house mounted at second floor level, just under the soffits. Motion/PIR sensors tend to have a range of around 20-25 feet, so it's actually recommended they get mounted closer to first-floor level, but I have nowhere suitable that's out of grabbing distance and mine seem to work OK higher up. If you had a longer drive you wanted to cover though, then this might be an issue.

I fitted it in November 2019 and the battery condition is still 'OK' nearly a year later. It gets activated at night (8 hours) and whenever I go out. It's not in a busy area, so only really gets activated occasionally - if you were wanting to have it armed 24/7 and it was pointed at a busy location, then you'd go through batteries a lot quicker I would imagine, in which case then there might be better (rechargeable or wired) alternatives.

For me, a big incentive was the free cloud storage so it's a shame they've taken that away for new customers - as your Blink Mini cameras presumably didn't come with free cloud storage, then you'll have to pay for online clip storage for the XT2s unfortunately, unless you'd be happy paying extra for the next Sync module that'll include an SD card slot ? Edit - I forgot the current XT2s won't work with the new Sync Module 2 - see top question here.

Last edited:

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I bought a couple of Blink XT2 cameras in the Black Friday sales last year. I went for 2 x one-camera systems at a cost of £75 each (instead of 1 x two-camera system @ £135) because each came with a free Echo Dot (which were £30-£50 at the time) and I figured the extra sync module might come in useful if the cameras were at opposite ends of the house. The cameras need to be within range of both your wi-fi and a sync module.

I've got one of them at the front of my house mounted at second floor level, just under the soffits. Motion/PIR sensors tend to have a range of around 20-25 feet, so it's actually recommended they get mounted closer to first-floor level, but I have nowhere suitable that's out of grabbing distance and mine seem to work OK higher up. If you had a longer drive you wanted to cover though, then this might be an issue.

I fitted it in November 2019 and the battery condition is still 'OK' nearly a year later. It gets activated at night (8 hours) and whenever I go out. It's not in a busy area, so only really gets activated occasionally - if you were wanting to have it armed 24/7 and it was pointed at a busy location, then you'd go through batteries a lot quicker I would imagine, in which case then there might be better (rechargeable or wired) alternatives.

For me, a big incentive was the free cloud storage so it's a shame they've taken that away for new customers - as your Blink Mini cameras presumably didn't come with free cloud storage, then you'll have to pay for online clip storage for the XT2s unfortunately, unless you'd be happy paying extra for the next Sync module that'll include an SD card slot ?

Thanks for the info.
Think these ticks all the boxes. Not a big Drive or Garden to be honest and not a very busy area and would only be armed at night or when we are all out of the House.

Yeah shame about the cloud storage but then I have heard it will still be free with the XT2's but guess we won't know fully until the Free period ends and can always upgrade the module as assume the ones that come with these are not the Sync Module 2's ?

mikej

Thanks for the info.
Think these ticks all the boxes. Not a big Drive or Garden to be honest and not a very busy area and would only be armed at night or when we are all out of the House.

Yeah shame about the cloud storage but then I have heard it will still be free with the XT2's but guess we won't know fully until the Free period ends and can always upgrade the module as assume the ones that come with these are not the Sync Module 2's ?

I think only customers with Blink accounts created before 15th April continue to get the free cloud storage, plus I've just remembered another important fact in that the current XT2s won't work with the new SD-equipped Sync Module 2, so make sure you do your research properly before deciding otherwise you might end up with no option but to pay for storage if you want clips saved from the current XT2 cameras and, at £2.50 per month per camera, that cost is going to be significant over time. More info here.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I think only customers with Blink accounts created before 15th April continue to get the free cloud storage, plus I've just remembered another important fact in that the current XT2s won't work with the new SD-equipped Sync Module 2, so make sure you do your research properly before deciding otherwise you might end up with no option but to pay for storage if you want clips saved from the current XT2 cameras and, at £2.50 per month per camera, that cost is going to be significant over time. More info here.

Thanks I think it is just the Mini that would require paid Cloud Storage as XT2's are still advertised as Free Cloud Storage.

I have ordered them and if it does not work out I could always return them and upgrade to the new ones that come with the Sync Module for Offline Storage.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom