1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blind purchases made - opinions and advice needed.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lobo, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having picked up an Optoma H78 projector recently, I basically committed myself to having to go out and buy the rest of the kit for a home cinema setup.

This is my first purchase at home cinema kit, and Ive gone out and made some blind purchases based on reviews in magazines/web etc. Ive basically been looking on Ebay, ex-demo from shops, special offers etc to get good kit at a cut down price.

What Ive got so far:

Pioneer VSX-AX5i-s
    Kef Q7 fronts (still to arrive)
    Kef 200C centre (still to arrive)

My question is, would you expect this to sound any good, how should I set this up and what should I get next?

More specifically:

1. Is this Pioneer a good amp to power these speakers? Is it a good amp generally?
    2. Should I bi-amp the speakers as the amp has a 7.1 setup which Im not looking to take advantage of yet? Would this make a noticeable difference?
    3. Which speaker wire should I buy?
    4. Which rear/side speakers should I buy to compliment this kit? I have been looking at the Kef Q2DS speakers (dipole?)
    5. This is mainly for movies - will it sound good?
    6. My room is 5m x 5m with a high ceiling. WOuld you classify this as a large room and is it big enough for these speakers?

Any help for this novice would be much appreciated.

thanks

R

2. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    can only talk about the amp, i have to say it's an excellent piece of kit.

It will have no problems powering those speakers.

Will take you a while to suss it all out, you'll need to play around with it a bit and keep the manual handy for reference i've had to go to it a few times for help.

One think you did not mention is subwoofer, you should really be thinking about 1 will add a whole new depth to the sound track of movies and once you hear the difference in your own room, you will not go back.

On speaker wire, twin and earth power flex or cat5 network cable will be sufficent, it's what i use and a lot of other people on this forum. Some people pay big money for cable but i'd try the above first before you go that route. I'm so sorry i didn't try it years ago, or even think to try it, i've wasted a lot of money buying pure silver blah blah and i realy can't hear a difference.

1 other piece of advice is banana plugs with the pioneer amp (or any amp i suppose) are a good idea just makes the connection so much handier to set-up there will be no performance increase from them, but if you move your kit they are a life saver honestly.

3. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply, the subwoofer is the next piece of kit Im planning to buy once I have everything else setup.

Regarding the speaker wire, where would you suggest buying these from and what is the price? Also, regarding the Cat5 wire, I take it this is not a true speaker cable. Can it be used as is, or do some modifications have to be done?

Im planning to bi-amp my front speakers and bi-wire the rest if that makes a difference.

4. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You buy it from a builders merchants if your going with the power cables stuff.
    If your bi-wiring i'd suggest going for the 4 core stuff, so that means you've the 2 pairs in the one flex, bit bulkier and less flexible but better than running 2 wires.

The cat5 needs nothing done to it other than unravelling the twisted pairs, and stripping the protection like any other wire.

In the cable part of this forum do a search for cat5, twin and earth and 4 core, you'll get loads of material posted on them, pictures as well.

5. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Agree with you completely about the sub - it makes the film feel real!

What DVD player do you have? There's no point in having such a good PJ if you haven't got the player to support it!

As far as bi-amping/bi-wiring - not sure I see the point of this unless you want to use the system for music (and even then you would only use this on the FR and FL speakers).

6. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DVD player is currently rubbish - its a low end Toshiba with component output. That is my next purchase - will probably be a Denon. Want one with ilink output to match the amp. Any suggestions?

Also, if Im using the DVI/HDMI out of a DVD player, does the quality of the DVD player really matter?

The reason I will bi-amp is because I have the capability with the amp as Im not using all 7 channels. I will be using it 20% for music aswell.

I see you have the Optoma H78 as well. Quick question on the screen - what size is your screen and what tupe is it? Is it anything special? What si the gain on it?

7. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have an Arcam DV79 which is great for picture qual (I use HDMI) and for musicality too. HDMI does make a huge difference on my Arcam - couldn't recommend it enough. I understand that the Pioneer 868 is a goodie bearing in mind your amp, and give the Denon 3910 a whirl (budget dependant of course!). Samsung have recently launched some new players which include HDMI link up (or at least HDCP compliant DVI) - maybe worth a check?

Regarding bi-wiring, I would be interested to hear how much of a difference this makes for you. Just to check do the KEF's have dual plugs suitable for bi-wire?

Regarding your screen, mine is just a baby (about 5.5 ft) from "Projecta" not sure of gain though it's a few years old. Waiting for a dedicated room before I upgrade!

8. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im going for a 8ft wide screen (I have a dedicated room). Choosing manual option just now to keep costs down, probably a Beamax which has been recommeneded to me.

This is my first home cinema project so I have nothiing to compare to in terms of non biamp/biwire and biamp/biwire.

Which wiring did you go for out of interest. Thats one thing I have to pick up this week as my speakers are delivered this week.

9. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went for Chord Carnival Silver - check the My Kit link in my signature you can see everything there!

Sounds like an exciting project there - would be interested to hear how you fare with an 8ft screen!

10. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can I ask how you are connecting your Sky + to your H78?

11. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi again Lobo! LOL - would recommend you take a look at the My Kit link again - there is a full description there. I opted to stick with Svideo, but for a fuller explanation take a look at My Kit.

Cheers!

12. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    People usually ask questions before they make purchases. :suicide:

13. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nah, Im more spontaneous than that. Otherwise end up never buying anything. Anyway, I think Ive done alright so far.

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer and Kef will make a good combination, very good amp and good speakers :thumbsup:

15. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Which rear speakers would you suggest? I was looking at the Kef dipoles (Q2DS?). One point is they will have to be situated high up as I have a door completely adjacent to me.