1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blind purchase of Strata 5

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by toni_montana, Aug 24, 2005.

1. toni_montana

toni_montana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a used Strata 5 sub woofer and am trying to get it setup correctly.

Ive noticed it integerates very well with speakers in Stereo music, however it doesnt seem to go very loud without becoming noticeable through distortion.

Are there certain settings that I should use? Whats the best way of setting this up? My room is 5m x 6m with a high ceiling, so maybe I cant expect high output?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There should be adequate volume in a room that size. How have you set it up at the moment ?

3. toni_montana

toni_montana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I am expecting too much from the sub. It is connected to a Pioneer Ax5is through the high level input (speaker terminals) and also the LFE input. I have the high level gain at approx 65 with the Low level off when listening to music. The frequency is at 27.

The sub definitely improves the sound but there its not hitting as hard as I would expect. Turnign the low level improves things in terms of output but maybe not in terms of integration. However, Im still not sure if the output is enough.

I have the sub in the corner of the room.

I assume I cannot expect seat vibrating, room shaking bass from this sub. However, is there anything Im not setting up correctly that might contribute to this?

Is there any chance the sub is damaged? How would I be able to tell?

4. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Toni,

I have a Strata 5 & get good results with music & movies & is loud enough for my circumstances (although would not be for many other forum members).
    I think your main problem is you have got the crossover too low. You really won't get much at 27hz & it will distort if you really turn the sub up. The lower the frequency, the less output you get. So, traditionally if you move the xover on sub up, you will be reducing the level & vica versa.

Do you know what the -3db rolloff is on your speakers? Mine is 55hz & I find setting the xover on sub to 62hz works well. So probably just above your -3db point. This is only for using the Hi level input with music, which should be used by bypassing the amps bass management, i.e. front speakers set to large.

As I said, for music the Hi level input is best from the speaker terminals on your amp. Have you got a manual with the Strata? You should have yellow wire connected to + left speaker terminal, black to - left, & red to + right. I was very careful with this, & I'm normally good at wiring audio gear, but I wasn't getting good results & I found I had got one of the wires wrong, so double check this.

Next thing with LFE input. If you are using bass management on amp you don't want to be using both the crossover on the amp & on the sub. Just set the Rel to 99hz & then set the amp's xover to 40/60/or THX recommend 80hz.
    This way the amp will be sending all the relevant frequencies to the sub.
    If you used a 60hz zover on amp & 60hz on sub, you would probably get a hole in the bass around this freq. Also, with LFE input set front speakers
    to small to engage the xover on amp.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. Ian J is very knowledgeable & willhopefully help you if I have left anything out.

T.

p.s. Even if you have large floor standers which go very low I doubt their -3db point is at 27hz.