Bleed in rear speakers

M

MarkHealy

Hi, guys. Just two brief questions. A few months back I bought a Yamaha HTiB-40. It's a very good system, but I've noticed two things: First, (and I'm really showing how much a novice I am with this!), I thought the rear speakers are only for low frequency sounds; presently most of the sounds seem to be bleeding through to the rears. Is this okay, or do I need to adjust the amp? Second, there is a noticable amount of hiss from the rears at high volumns; is this characteristic of the Yamaha amp or again is it a dodgy set-up. Thanks in advance for any advise you may have.

Hello Mark,
'What Video and TV' reviewed your system in April.
They said it was a very good receiver paired with an average speaker system, couldnt take the power of the receiver.
When no source was connected and the volume turned up high a hissing was heard.
I'd say this could be a common problem.
I'm getting the HTIB-45 .
Would you recommenrd the system ?

The rear speakers in a 5.1 system are full range although with yours being only small satellites they will only reproduce mid range and treble with the bass being directed to the subwoofer.

Make sure that the speaker levels have been set correctly by using the test tones (preferably with an SPL meter) as many make the mistake of having the rears too loud.

There have been comments here in the past about hiss from the rear speakers which is a problem with the amp design and due to it being built to a price point.

Bleed in rear speakers .......yeh! can be a bloody nuisance sometimes.....:D

Don't know what adjustments you have on the amp, see if you can select the crossover/select speakers to small, this may improve things, sometimes it's down to the fine tuning.

Agree with Ian, try and get hold of a SPL metre to set the speaker levels.

bob

Thanks for the help! I'm obviously a bit of a novice but it's good to know that it does not seem to be specific to my system. I suspect that I'll need to get a meter to fine tune the system. Other than the hissing problem, I'd definately recommend the HTiB-40. I bought it from Peats.com for a fairly reasonable price (I think that it was a little over £500 at the time) and delivery was speedy. It certainly has a lot of kick in it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom