1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blazing Saddles: 30th Anniversary Special Edition R1 review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Sigismund, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    [​IMG]

We take a look at the 30th Anniversary Special Edition release Of Blazing Saddles.

Read the review here

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The above comment is taken from your review...can I ask why, if you obviously hate Mel Brooks and his movies, you were chosen to review this particular disc...? Surely you could have declined the chance to review it and the offer given to someone else who's review would have been a little less biased...

Personally, I don't think the movie has aged to well...but you have to admit, it's a brave attempt to tackle what it sets out to...if that makes sense... :confused: :rolleyes:

PS - I'm not having a go - honestly. Seems to be me having a go every time you post a review...nothing personal Mark, honestly. I think the question is pretty sensible and could do with an answer...

3. Dibbiedibbie

Dibbiedibbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, Ithought the point of a review was to remain objective and not just peg it as a dodgy movie because you don't find it as funny as 1500 movie execs :p

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I disagree with you. I think you may have mis-construed my meaning - I wasn't referring to Mel Brooks, I was referring to his on screen character! Therefore you're assumption/question seems to be predicated on an assumption that may very well be incorrect. :)

Again, I think you're a little off base here. What you seem to be suggesting is that I watch a movie, decide if I like it or not, then choose to write the review or not. I think you would certainly end up with a biased review if things were done this way! In any case, I'm not sure how you think the review was biased... unless my comment above addresses this point?

It's funny, Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder et al disagree with you there! They are of the opinion that the movie is an all time classic - and is "timeless"... at least that's what they say in the supplemental features. Again, I view this movie from a different viewpoint - I cannot help but think that the writers, and Mel Brooks in particular, have decided to make a movie that attempts to "shock" across the race, wealth, I.Q. divides... and for me it just doesn't work. As I suggested in the review I prefer humour to be less in your face - punching horses, old women using profanity, black people being referred to using the "N" word... it's all just too simple and came across to me as being done for the sake of being done - rather than a real attempt at "intricate" humour. In fact this point is actually suggested, again in the extras. It seems that Mel Brooks had an idea that the effluent expulsion scene would make history as the first major motion picture to show people passing wind. Now, this is the thing for me... that really sums it up - somehow, it seems more important for the scene to be a "first", rather than for it to be ammusing! In many ways I'm reminded of my review of Frankenstein... I do understand that back in 1939 the movie going experience may have engendered a certain type of fear... this was a first back then. And I do understand what was trying to be achieved. But, for me the character from the 2003 version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is much more frightening - implicitly and psychologically.

The same is true of the humour in Blazing Saddles... an attempt has been made of capturing the essence of something... and - for me - it misses the mark... that essence of humour just isn't there.

I understand where you're coming from, mate... and at least you read my reviews!! ;) At the end of the day most of this comes down to ones tastes, I think. For instance, I was an avid Elvis fan in my youth and even now I think the guy had charisma! But... there are still times when I watch him prancing about on stage that I think how silly he looks... what a way to spend your professional life - grinning in a lopsided way and saying "a huh-huh"! Then I remember that compared to other "stars" that is charismatic!! When I watched Blazing Saddles I just didn't laugh, mainly because I could always see what was trying to be achieved - not in the name of humour, but rather to be the first off the blocks.

As I watched the movie I couldn't help but feel that it had been made to order and written by a comittee... but I'm sure a lot of people find it very funny - I'm just not one of them :D

Mark

EDIT: Having re-read the review I can see what you mean by me "hating Mel Brooks"! I really just meant when he comes on screen in this movie. I think I'll edit the review to make that clear. Cheers ;)

5. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That answer just about my question a non question in effect. It does, however, come accross taht it's Mel Brooks the person you actually hate, and not his character...
    I read all the reviews...and, whether it's a good or bad thing, I nearly always base my buying/renting decision on the review on this forum...why? Because the people that write them are movie lovers like myself and home theatre nuts - again like me and not a jumped up so called reviewer like Paul Ross and Johnny Vaughn, who get paid vast amounts of money for writing tosh...you on the other hand, get paid nothing for writing tosh... ;) :D

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    :) Please see my edit above... and in the review itself :thumbsup:

Paul Ross... who he? :D People get paid - for writing reviews? It's a scandel!

PS I've actually quite enjoyed a couple of Paul Ross reviews! :D :smashin:

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Army Bloke,
    It is indeed nice to know that you read the reviews and find the time and trouble to pass comment on them. I am always interested to see the opinions other forum members have both about the movies I've reviewed and the reviews themselves. We can request discs if we have a particular yearning, but usually they are divided equally among the review team. I must admit this approach has introduced me to many movies I would never have considered otherwise - some sterling Korean stuff for example.
    I would encourage any forum members to pass opinion good or bad (constructively) about our reviews.
    Andy
    ps I love Blazing Saddles btw.

9. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to see more contemporary R2 releases reviewed. Whilst it's brilliant that you review the lateset Korean and Japanese discs that are available to members via sponsors, I also look at the rental market as well...I'd like to get a high quality review from an (home theatre side of things) expert before I rent...
    The reviews on here are of a very high quality and I read each and every one of them...though I don't need to pass comment on most of them, just the one's Mark writes... ;) :D

10. FiggyD

FiggyD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like Army Bloke, I was very surprised to see such a poor review for such a great film. It is a classic to me and many other people, but I think that anyone who wants to buy this film is someone like me, who has seen it a million times on TV and would like to own the DVD for the extras. I guess the point of a review is to get an alternative perspective on a movie, which is what Mark provided. I'm surprised that so many of us actually read reviews these days because, for myself, I already know what films I want to see before they come out and a poor review never puts me off seeing a film that I have been looking forward to, it merely delays my viewing of it until it has come down in price. I like reading Mark's reviews because they tend to be quite humorous and succinct and this is the first review of his I have read which I have wholeheartedly disagreed with. But even if he had given it 1 out of 10, it still wouldn't stop me buying it because I already know i want it. Reviews, by nature, have to be subjective because the reviewer is simply giving their opinion of the film. He or she can be objective about things like the sound or picture quality because these are technical aspects, but the film's content is emotive and therefore individualistic in regards to its impact on the viewer. This is especially true of comedies because some people simply don't find certain things funny that other people find hilarious. At the end of the day, I feel that if you read someones review and really disagree, it can only be because you have already seen and loved the film in question. But if that's so, then why would you care what somebody else thinks? :)

11. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I would much rather have found the movie ammusing... but I didn't, and now I've written a poor review... and Army Bloke's got it in for me (even though he's a THX loverboy and doesn't realise it's simply a case of him having a dodgy digital cable if he doesn't prefer dts... ) Note they don't sell dts cables, only digital ones...

And now FiggyD, my one true fan, slips the knife between my ribs... et tu Figgy?

As I wrote in my review, I laughed twice... had they been allowed to include the "That's my arm" line I may have laughed again... but they didn't, and it was a little crude :D Maybe I need humour transplant... then again, maybe I'm right and Saddles just isn't funny :eek: ;) :cool:

That's what I love about writing movie reviews... I can't be "wrong" in how I feel/think about the film - it's my opinion. And in the same way, those who read our reviews can't be wrong - they're your opinions of our opinions of the movie... :thumbsup: It is much nicer though when people share my opinions :cool:

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't say it was a poor review...I pointed out the fact that I wa supprised that they had chosen someone who hated Mel Brooks to review a mel Brooks film...a point which has since been ironed out...

13. FiggyD

FiggyD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any chance of a 3-way hug situation? :)

14. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: