Blaupunkt DAB 54 - Aerial Installation

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by damian_28, Jan 5, 2005.

1. damian_28

damian_28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've recently acquired the Blaupunkt DAB 54 with one of the internal amplified glass mount aerials. I have installed the head unit and transferred my Nokia car kit but I am not sure how best to connect the aerial to the required 12v power source.

The installation instructions, although not clear, seem to suggest that it should be connected to the power supply via the head unit but how? There are a few pins on the rear of the stereo which are not used by a block connector and it appears that one of these pins may be a power feed - could I connect to one of these using a small part insulated recepticle? I would rather not start stripping existing wires and soldering on the wire to the aerial, so any ideas/alternatives would be appreciated.

Finally, would it be better to connect the aerial to an ignition controlled power supply, rather than a permanent one? I guess the DAB would only work when the ignition was on, but there are only limited times when the radio is on and I'm not in the car.

I have tried to contact Blaupunkt about the above but they have confused me more so any advice off anyone who has experience of the above/in this area would be appreciated.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Damian

2. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to connect the power suply to the electric aerial output..(check how much current is drawn but it should be fine)

On the top of the radio should be a diagram but if not its the second one along from the earth on the bottom row of four

hope this helps

3. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Get rid of the internal glass aerial it's crap, very poor reception.

First I tried an external glass stick on which was OK. Then I got a new car with no external aerials so I bought the internal glass, which gave very poor reception. Now and by far the best I have an external boot mount.

Anyway in answer to your question the blue wire on the IEC connector is the automatic aerial power take off (the amplifier draws a small current, which is no problem) According to my manual is no 5, top row of lower connector, 2nd from right looking at the rear of the connector.

1 3 5 7
    2 4 6 8

1 NC
    2 NC
    3 NC
    4 12V battery
    5 automatic aerial power take off
    6 illumination
    7 ignition switched 12V
    8 earth / ground

Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB5

4. damian_28

damian_28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thank you both for your replies.

Now for the stupid question - how best do you connect to the automatic aerial power take off? I've not had a look at the back of the head unit since I installed it so I don't know whether there is a cable which you connect into or whether there is a space in the block connector which you wire into.

Is the automatic aerial output the best point of connection or can you also tap into the ignition controlled wire? Whatever works and is easiest would be good.

Apologies for the novice questions! Point taken about the quality of the aerial, will see how it goes and upgrade if I have to - although I don't fancy installing a roof mounted aerial to replace my the existing one of My Ford Focus if I can help it.

Thanks again,

Damian

5. damian_28

damian_28
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Another question - how best do your ground the DAB antenna - I can't find any suitable point on the car given the short length of cable provided for grounding. Is it possible to extend it and attach to the car chasis at the nearest available screw/fitting?

Thanks,

Damian