1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blasted Pin Numbers Again!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Robert Hill, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Robert Hill

Robert Hill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So,there I was watching Elizabeth 1 tonight, recorded from last night on the Skyplus hard drive, when probably a couple of mins before she's about to croak it, the box jumps up and demands me pin number. I jump up and whack the pin no in, and slump back again. Playback returns for another 30 seconds, and then ceases as the programe presumably overran.
    It's one thing having the the recording time out but to ask for a pin number near the end is nicht gut. Mein Gott. Himmel! I think Sky really need to sort this PIN job out, as all it does is create waves - it really isn't rocket science you know....SKY!! :lease:

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Robert,

I have just come from the "Append your name below........" thread on this page where on the last page MacReady gives his reply to the latest letter from Sky. He reiterates our annoyance with the wretched pin number, it is so infuriating. You must have felt like screaming when the pin number was requested during "Elizabeth 1". The programme is repeated tonight at 7.05 p.m. on Channel 4, maybe you can catch the end of it then.

I like the German phrases! Have you been watching Heimat by any chance? I am totally addicted to that programme but I think your phrases are more from war films than there!!

Hopefully, Robert, the pin number fiasco will be ironed out in the next Sky software update. We will all be a lot happier as a result.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    hmm...so far it only asks me for a pin at the beginning of playback if its an adult show during the daytime.......which doesnt bother me, i just punch in the pin and watch...lol....never had the problem of it asking for a pin mid-show yet....

4. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just written to Sky to complain about the pin number change. I tend to channel hop a lot and it drives me mad :mad: the more of us who contact Sky and ask them to introduce options to filter or remove the pin number option the more likely they will do something. :lease:

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Have you seen this thread?

Have a look at the reply I got from Sky. It seems they are looking into the pin issues but give no indication as to what they plan to change...if anything!

6. Bassman

Bassman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the last straw when I was asked for a PIN on (I think) a PG movie. After getting my PIN from Sky I set to adjusting all the options to say no PIN number. Needless to say it had no effect. I hope the next upgrade reverts to the way it used to be... never asking me for a PIN. Are they deliberately trying to alienate their customers?

7. nightsoil

nightsoil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recorded the 3 minute showing of Kate Bush's new video (not sure why :suicide: ) and on playback it asked for a PIN number :mad: don't even know what my pin number is ??? tried last four digits of viewing card number...

8. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Yeah, the PIN stuff is actually deliberate (Sky claim people asked for it :rotfl: ). However, there seem to be other issues surrounding the box asking for a PIN in the wrong circumstances.

Complicating things is the fact that the PIN isn't always the last 4 digits of your card - if you had previous viewing cards then it's the last 4 of the _original_ card. And of course, the whole PIN system is now forced on you, you can't disable it from the menus (despite there being an option which looks like it would do so).

Sky really seem to be pulling out all the stops to annoy their customers recently. You've gotta applaud that sort of all-out company-wide effort :)

Gav

9. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Careful Gavan,you'll upset Nick Uk.

10. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Not Sky+ but I've been getting message for pin numbers. What I have been doing is pulling the card out and then putting it back in and it's been fine. However, I'm a little upset that a few programmes I've recorded on VHS I've lost as all I have is a screen asking for a pin number.

11. Bassman

Bassman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least with Sky+ the program is there after you enter the PIN when you view it.

I had to ring Sky to get my PIN number. At least I can remember it now!

I'd agree with the point about Sky trying to alienate their users with this stupid PIN thing. Maybe everyone should ring them to ask how to disable them to try to force a change (fat chance?).

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Explain, please.

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Perhaps I'm just lucky, I've never been asked for a PIN since the software upgrade regardless of what I've recorded or when I've watched it. I record a lot of programs after 9 at night and then watch them back at other times of the day with no problems.

John

14. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My gf had to input PIN to watch "Most Haunted". The mind boggles...

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    My box didn't need the PIN after upgrade
    BUT NOW IT DOES Argggggggggggggggg..........

how the hell does "Kull the Conqueror" rate a pin request it's a 12 in the UK.

16. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Which my wife records all the time and watches during the day with no sign of a PIN...

John

17. BlackRaven

BlackRaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really getting fed up of having to input a PIN number now. The annoying thing is that if you select say 4 things to copy, it may get to the 4th before asking you for the PIN!!!! When obviously you are not watching on screen to do it!! It should ask you at the very beginning of the first item at the very least.

As there is only me and my wife in the house though, I really don't see the point of us even having a PIN.