Blast from the past

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Silas, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Silas

Silas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Burning smell from my Toshiba SD510 tonight announced the demise of the spindle motor. I bought it less than two years ago when it was hot on this forum. Questions:
    Is repair worthwhile?
    Can you get parts out of Toshiba?
    If not, what should I replace it with?

Thanks
    Silas

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I wouldn't have thought commercial repair was worthwhile. Repaired players are more likely to go wrong again than players never repaired. I mean what is it worth second hand? £50-70. There are players new like the S75 that offer 5.1 decoding, ntsc progressive scan and dvd audio and they also offer much better compatibility with media and formats, a better picture and better sound including dts decoding. You may also have found that you didn't use the dvd audio functionality anyway and therefore aren't too bothered about it.

I think you'd be very happy with a Panasonic S75 but might be just as happy with a S35. If your looking to spend more and need a 5.1 decoder then the Sony 930 is excellent but has SACD support instead of dvd audio. There are many great and cheap players about nowadays.

3. Silas

Silas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yipee, I get to buy a new player.
    Thanks for the reply
    Silas

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned: