1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blanked out pixel?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Niburu, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was messing around with my Philips 32PW9308 TV last night and noticed that a pixel has gone a dark red colour. I tried different inputs to make sure it wasn't cable related and it still does it. I switched the TV off, left it for a while and then back on but it still remains blanked out. Is this `dead` pixel permanent or will it come back in time?
    Does this unit require repair/replacement, as I have only had it a couple of months???
    It is not really noticable from a distance but I know its there and I am not mega happy about it.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.....

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Very, very unusual for a CRT set to have this problem. Unheard of, almost. Indicative of a tube fault, maybe. Yes, a replacement or refund is in order.

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One of my Sony HQ100's had this,upon close inspection you could see a tiny black dot on the tube when the TV was off.as above-very rare nowaday's...........prob. some crap on the tube at time of manufacture,your problem may be that it is in tolerence :confused:

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    (Standby for TG to show his age! :laugh: )

In the very early days of colour tv tube manufacture, it was not unknown for one of the holes in the shadowmask to become blocked with a bit of detritus.

This gave the effect of a triad of dots missing.

Excessive use of a degaussing coil to flex the shadowmask sometimes dislodged the particle.

Not to be recommended of course, unless there's nothing to lose anyway.

As previously stated, this problem is thankfully extremely rare these days.

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tight git...triad!! Now there's an old git if ever there was one :D

That was probably there from the day the set was maufactured, and it just so happens that today you managed to spot it. Unfortunately you may well find that it is 'in tolerance'. Though rare in CRT now it is still possible to get blocked apertures in the shadow mask from small particles left in the tube after final vacuum. These mostly go to the bottom of the display once it is put into the set and are never seen, but occaionally they do get pushed onto the shadow mask. It could also be dirty phosphor, this is also a rare but possible defect and again you may well find it is in tolerance. However, that should not stop you from pursuing a complaint - I know I would if it was big enough to bother me.