Blank Screen On ThetreTek

Stellavision

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've just downoaded TT and FFDShow and so far have been unable to get a dvd to play. I either just get a black blank screen or the computer crashes.
There seems to be so many settings to play with so I'm not sure it is software config with TT or FFDShow, or perhaps a clash with something else installed on my PC.
My PC is a 3.0 gig P4 with 1 gig ram and a Radeon X850 XT graphics card so I can't see it being my hardware.
Any input much appreciated guys.:lease:

More info please.
Does TT work on it's own, what is the version of TT (2.?), which render are you using (overlay etc.)?

In addition to Ken's questions, did you follow the FFDSHOW 'how to'? PAL or NTSC video?

If TT works on its' own then follow those instructions and you should get a working system you can then play with .. the two main cuases of crashes with FFDSHOW are not setting the RAW=All in the codecs setup and not setting PAL, though the latter is taken care of my TT 2.04 and later.

It is TheaterTek 2.0.

I have been unable to get it to work on its own, with the nVidia codec or with FFDShow.

I tried a couple of the different renders, including overlay. What do the render settings do and how should it be set?

I have not yet read the FFDShow 'How to.' I'll have a look now.

Excuse me if I'm stating the obvious but it appears the problem is with TT.
I'd leave both the FFDshow and Nvidia processing switched off until you can get a picture using just TT.
Personally I wouldn't even bother changing any settings in FFDshow until you get a picture without it.
If you still don't get picture with TT then maybe it's worth reinstalling it. Might be worth uninstalling FFDshow as well until it works.
Just be aware though that if you reinstall (or even repair) TT you will need a new activation code as the soft lock ID will change.

Ps I've been having lots of trouble getting TT 2 to work with FFDshow since I upgraded from the earlier version.

Barrie: As Mike says, since the problem is with TT then don't bother trying FFDSHOW yet.

What settings are you using on the 'Video' tab of TT's config dialog .. that's where you set the video renderer to use?

When you say you're using 2.0, please be exact, which update are you using, the latest is 2.11.

Mike: you are not correct about the activation code. The same Soft-Lock code will be generated on all installs on the same hardware and the Activation code is derived from the Soft-Lock code and will always work for thast Soft-Lock code. It is for this reason it's a good idea to make a note of the SLC and AC so that you can re-install and not have to request a new AC. In the early days of 2.0 new Soft-Lock codes were generated for the most trivial of changes, these days it's a lot more solid. If you get a different SLC for the same hardware then it's a fault that needs reporting, it is not how the protection system is designed to work.

I downloaded TT from the online store at the weekend so I am assuming it is the latest version.

Video output settings are all set to Overlay.

De-interlacing: Control - Auto
Mode - Best Available

In advanced:

Use DXVA - checked

YUV Mixing - unchecked

Full screen mode - unchecked

I'm also using Any DVD if that makes a difference.

Also can someone remind me how to enable DMA for the drive as I can't find the option.

KraGorn said:
Mike: you are not correct about the activation code. The same Soft-Lock code will be generated on all installs on the same hardware and the Activation code is derived from the Soft-Lock code and will always work for thast Soft-Lock code. It is for this reason it's a good idea to make a note of the SLC and AC so that you can re-install and not have to request a new AC. In the early days of 2.0 new Soft-Lock codes were generated for the most trivial of changes, these days it's a lot more solid. If you get a different SLC for the same hardware then it's a fault that needs reporting, it is not how the protection system is designed to work.

Really? I'm talking through personal experiance. Just last week I repaired my install and it asked for an AC. When I entered my previous one, nothing happened. I checked the soft lock ID's and they were different. I went to the website and it told me I had reached my limit of codes and to contact them. I sent them an email explaining that I had to do several installs and that is why I used all my codes. They didn't question it, so I assumed this was the case.
You say the code should be the same for my machine. Where is the code generated from? i.e if I changed some components or the configuration, would that affect it?

Stellavision said:
Also can someone remind me how to enable DMA for the drive as I can't find the option.

Go into the Control Panel, double click on System, click on the hardware tab, then Device Manager.
Then go down to the line that says "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and click on the plus sign.
Right click on the channel your drive is attached to ie Primary/secondary and select properties. Click on the advanced setting tab and you will see it there (one for master and one for slave).

If DMA is not enabled that will be causing problems. If you can't enable it as stated by Mike, go to the Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and uninstall the Secondary IDE channel via right clicking, then restart your computer, that will reset DMA.
Usually when repairing TT, the codes are automatically recognised, but a windows install will sometimes generate a different soft lock code; as it has for me this last time, other times before it's been the same!

OK, just reinstalled.
I only needed the serial as I have'nt fully activated yet just in case I can't get it to work and need a refund.
DMA transpot if available is already active on both my dvd drives.
I have also uninstalled Any DVD.

Still have the same problem. I can't play dvd, but I can play media from my hard drive.

It doesn't make any sense to me, I have TT installed in 3 totally different environments and all worked from the first install.
I think you have a confict somewhere, which will make it difficult.
Have you posted in the Theatertek Forums, you may get help from Andrew, the TT developer.
Sorry i can't be of more help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom