Blank DVD's - for Sony DVD Recorder.

12harry

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm finding that regular bought blank DVDs often don't record correctly. . . . I'm careful to buy the correct type +R and sometimes the "better" makes appear to record reliably... but even these will give a duff recording every-so-often . . . . I don't use the full-disc capacity, leaving about 0.2 ( out of 4.4, is it?), and I try to keep the HDD with 25-30hrs of unused space ( regularly "Optimised"), in case it uses the HDD as a "scratch-pan" perhaps.

Do others suffer this recording problem? . . . . In the past if a 100-stack gives trouble I return it... but I wonder if choosing a "better" brand will help , , , I quite like TDK discs, but these are often nearly twice the price!
. . . . I guess I'm paying about 20p per DVD+R.

What do others suggest?

Cheers.

It has been known for some time that the factory a disk is made in is much more important than the brand.

To that end the most reliable discs are produced by the Taiyo Yuden factory in Japan. so look for disks that were made there.

They used to be sold under their own brand name Taiyo Yuden, and a few years back all JVC discs were made there. I don't know if that is still the case.
Other brands may come from there too, but beware. Because a batch of any one brand may come from there does not mean all its discs do.

The quality of record-able discs available in the marketplace is generally dire.
Shopping around carefully will be the difference between 100% reliability and endless failures and frustration.

On another note - you mention +R's
Generally in Japanese origin machines it is better to use -R discs as 'plus' types are functionally deliberately slightly restricted.

It has been known for some time that the factory a disk is made in is much more important than the brand.

To that end the most reliable discs are produced by the Taiyo Yuden factory in Japan. so look for disks that were made there.

They used to be sold under their own brand name Taiyo Yuden, and a few years back all JVC discs were made there. I don't know if that is still the case.
Other brands may come from there too, but beware. Because a batch of any one brand may come from there does not mean all its discs do.

The quality of record-able discs available in the marketplace is generally dire.
Shopping around carefully will be the difference between 100% reliability and endless failures and frustration.

On another note - you mention +R's
Generally in Japanese origin machines it is better to use -R discs as 'plus' types are functionally deliberately slightly restricted.
You can still buy clone Taiyo Yuden discs, they're not cheap though.
JVC/Taiyo Yuden stopped production of all CD and DVD products at the end of 2015. CMC purchased the technology from JVC/Taiyo Yuden and has committed to maintain the quality and consistency of the JVC/Taiyo Yuden products. With the help of Taiyo Yuden engineers, CMC built specialized, dedicated production lines using the exact same processes, raw materials and strict quality control measures to ensure the Taiyo Yuden quality is maintained.

The CMC made products will be branded as “CMC Pro” and all cartons will be labeled “Powered by TY Technology”. Part numbers for the CMC Pro products will be very similar to the existing JVC part numbers. All current JVC part numbers start with “J” and the new SKUs will be exactly the same except they will start with “T”.

Amazon product ASIN B01I1NJ8X2

Taiyo Yuden being consistent quality if you can find them,will be priced accordingly.
As above the best disc type for your recorder will be DVD-R/-RW,I've found both Verbatim and TDK to be reliable over the years,no idea who actually manufacturers them.
Blank disc prices are getting ridiculous though,recording to optical discs being distinctly a thing of the past,at least where the masses are concerned.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom