Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Blank DVDs for My Panny 55 and LG 4120 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jerrysimon, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ok now I have my Panny 55 and LG 4120 in my PC a couple of questions about media :

For moving my analogue 8mm video onto DVD-r what would you recommend, bearing in mind I want these to be quality long lasting copies. Was going to make two copies for safety. I have 38hrs of video to copy taken over the last 17 years!!

I was going to copy straight onto DVD-r with the camcorder plugged into the Panny. Is that best or should I copy to DVD RAM and burn on a different format on my PC ?

1. Have been using trying Packard Bell DVD-r at just over a £1 each from PCWorld :blush:

2. Cheap DVD-r for copying write once just have to work with the Panny and LG to give to friends etc. I heard cheap ones can damage the laser is that true :confused:

3. DVD RAM ? Is is best to stick with Panasonic ? The 4.7GB ones are easy to get hold of but the 9.4GB ones seem harder to get hold of and come in caddies ?

Greatfull for your advice ?

Regards

Jerry

2. sweat100

sweat100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

1. As for DVD-R i think is best to use the good ones. Just do a check. Heard from places that Tayo Yuden dyes are among the best for for DVD-R medis now.

2. I feel that it is the disc that maybe damanged. Cant really be laser right? cos we do something to the dvd not laser.

3. As for DVD-RAM, i am not very sure either, since your 4120B is a 5X DVD-RAM writer, u can source a 5x DVD-RAM from maxwell. Till now i am not able to get hold of one 5X DVD-RAM. AS DVD-RAM, is much slower compared to DVD-R. As for Panasonic DVD-RAM media is up to 3x. Saw that panasonic DVD-RAM is made in Japan, maybe it is good? :confused:

What do you mean that burn onto a different format in PC? As in VCD? I feel that if you want to edit out unwanted parts of your video or add effect to it then you do that. If not i dont see the point as in it waste time. Moreover you need a 2 step process. Copy to DVD-RAM then transer to PC to edit and burn. Or maybe your PC already have a video capture card. I tried recording from a camcorder directly to my E100. I yield very good results. You can refer to the sticky thread for more info abt PC editing.

To make your media safe, i think it is good to use diffrent brands to make 2 copies of back up. After every 1-2 years you can do a copy again on a fresh DVD-R so this process regenerates the lifespan of your DVD-R. Any better suggestions?

3. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    sweat100,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Good idea to burn backup to two different brand types.

When I meant copy first to DVD RAM and then copy to different format on the PC I meant to enable me to use DVD RW or someother fomat. You are write this would also help if I wanted to edit out the rubbish, but at 38hrs that is a lot of editing :suicide:

As you say will probably just backup straight to DVD-r on the Panny. Initially I just want to preserve the originals which are currently on 8mm and can only be played on my camcorder.

Any recommendations on DVD-r for the two backup copies ? Are the Packard Bells best. Also what are other Panny 55 users using for bulk cheap DVD-r packs ?

Regards

Jerry

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    These should be OK. As a general rule of thumb if you stick with branded media, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Maxell, Verbatim, HP, TDK etc you should be fine. However always make numerous backups on different makes (and types of media) if possible! If you consult the PC Guide thread and scroll down to post #32 you will find advice on making backups/storage policy. Whatever ensure you keep your original tapes!

You can quite happily use cheap media with both machines. Some online stores do 'trial packs' of cheap media so you can find which brand works best with your two recorders (you'll find compatibility varies even within the same model of DVD recorder). Once you find a 'good' brand buy a large spindle of disks for 'throw away' use.

Panasonic and Maxell are the only two producers of DVD-RAM worldwide (all other brands are rebadged from them). Accordingly I suggest either getting Panasonic or Maxell - go for uncaddied disk if you intend to use them in your LG4120 as these are specially coated for non-caddy operation whereas caddie disks aren't (and thus would be vulnerable when you remove them from their case).

Well the idea of the Guide is that you record everything onto DVD-RAM in your recorder and then convert to DVD-R on the PC. This has the benefit that you can then burn multiple copies as well as specify precise chapters and make custom menus. Of course all this takes time and the quickest way is to record direct onto DVD-R on your Panasonic...

5. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Does anyone know where I can buy 9.7GB Panasonic DVD RAM disks without caddies ?

All the ones I have found have caddies ?

Perhaps I should just use 4.7GB ones and use flexible recording for the odd film that goes over the 2hr mark :confused:

Regards

Jerry

6. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's no reason for using double-sided disks for longer movies, as you'll still have to turn the disk over anyway... I guess you could wait for an ad break close to the time when side one should be full, but what if it doesn't come? :rolleyes: :eek:

7. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    How dumb am I :blush:

I never realised that you had to turn them over :confused:

If that is the case I may as well stick with single sided ones :rolleyes:

Regards

Jerry

8. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hehehe, looking for caddied disks online locally, I actually found some double-sided nonremovable ones... :rolleyes: I guess they'd come in really useful if you had several daily soaps which you wanted to watch and wipe, but you can only do that on Saturdays! I can't really think of any other use for them, which is a pity, because they're relatively very little more expensive than the one-sided removable ones, boo-hoo...

Which reminds me, is there such a thing as a caddyless double-sided DVD-RAM disk?

9. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes there is but if you have to turn them over what's the point ?

Non caddie single sided ones are much cheaper anyway.

Regards

Jerry

10. stadleroux

stadleroux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Two disks using the space of one has always seemed like a good idea to me, especially if they're not twice the price of two separate disks, as in the case of those caddied ones I mentioned. If they are a lot more expensive than one-sided, however, it's not worth it anymore, since durability may also be (slightly) less than in the case of one-sided caddyless disks. Where does one press to make sure that the disk is secured to it's case, for instance? :rolleyes: