Blank canvas strange ideas wanted

waxdart

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m buying a wreck. No structural problems. Just 90 years of neglect and materials coming to the end of their life.
I don’t see the ground floor rotten floor joists as a problem. It's a good opportunity to beef up sound proofing so I can crank the sound up. The walls and ceiling have gone too so this is a really good time to do it right first time. I’m also blessed with rewiring the house, and plumbing.

The canvas is too blank. I need some ideas as to what can be done with the place?
I honestly don't know where to start first.
No idea too mental.

The Mrs is pointing out more expensive kit in the shop and want a decent home to put decent kit in, so long as the bathroom and kitchen get done first. the WAF is 100%.

It’s 3 bed mid terrace. Knackered inside and out. A bit like me.
I’ll need some decent sound proofing in the floors and walls for the cinema room.

I’ll be moving to Worcester Park in surrey. Can anyone recommend a builders they’ve used to renovate a whole place. I’ve never done DIY to this extent before so maybe I’ll give some bits over : )

Thanks in advance.

I’m buying a wreck. No structural problems. Just 90 years of neglect and materials coming to the end of their life.
I don’t see the ground floor rotten floor joists as a problem. It's a good opportunity to beef up sound proofing so I can crank the sound up. The walls and ceiling have gone too so this is a really good time to do it right first time. I’m also blessed with rewiring the house, and plumbing.

The canvas is too blank. I need some ideas as to what can be done with the place?
I honestly don't know where to start first.
No idea too mental.

The Mrs is pointing out more expensive kit in the shop and want a decent home to put decent kit in, so long as the bathroom and kitchen get done first. the WAF is 100%.

It’s 3 bed mid terrace. Knackered inside and out. A bit like me.
I’ll need some decent sound proofing in the floors and walls for the cinema room.

I’ll be moving to Worcester Park in surrey. Can anyone recommend a builders they’ve used to renovate a whole place. I’ve never done DIY to this extent before so maybe I’ll give some bits over : )

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have a nice big task on the way!

Have a look on my thread, it may give you one or two ideas. Click on the link in the sig below.

Also spend plenty of time reading other peoples threads as you will get loads of good ideas and plenty of sound advice. The forums are full of knowledgeable people with some great setups.

Good luck with the build and feel free to ask any questions/advice,etc.:smashin:

design your own 360 degree spherical surround sound, with the viewing chair suspended in mid-air

Do you have any floor plans you can upload?

If you're having a dedicated cinema room, perhaps consider building a proper screen-wall with speakers hidden behind the screen. You could also do something like a stepped ceiling with a projector hidden in the void above the lower section.

You might want to look at multiroom audio - you could either go for something like Nuvo/Opus/Prodigy/Control4 or even a simple iPod dock wired into a multi-channel amplifier for a same-source-all-over setup.

Certainly worth having a cupboard for multiroom kit and your sky box(es).

Control4 is probably the most versatile at the moment, but doesn't offer the Crestron DM system which prodigy will in the new year.

For budgetting purposes, we'd normally charge about £12k for a complete Nuvo based multi-room install with a basic TV-based cinema setup for that sort of house, depending on cable runs and kit/speakers specified.

Chris

get yourself an architect first!!
then work the room into the house
after that, read the bejesus out of these forums lol

I disagree. If you want to get something specific out of an architect you need to give them a brief. No harm in getting some ideas first. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom