1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bladerunner

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Colonial Marine, Dec 27, 2000.

1. Colonial Marine

Colonial Marine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lets challenge the establishment! [​IMG]

I think the original version of Bladerunner was great, I especially enjoyed the narration by Harrison Ford.

I found that that the directors cut was dark & moody & a bit longer to watch because of the absence of the narration which I believe keeps that pace of the film going.

Now I don't expect everyone to agree,and I know that dark & moody is what the director intended, but what about a special edition DVD of BR with this narration soundtrack as an option?

Or perhaps a double sided disc with the original version on one side & the Director's Cut on the other side.

Any comments please?

------------------
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.....it's the only way to be sure.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is an unsubstantiated rumour, but what I have heard is that there is supposedly a 2-disc collectors set of Blade Runner coming out in the not to distant future.
    The first disc is supposed to be double sided with the original release on one side and the director's cut on the other side, both with director's commentaries.
    The second disc is to have a plethora of extras.
    Sounds good! I hope that it is true! I just love Ridley Scott's films and this is one of his best.
    Fingers crossed! [​IMG]
    Neil

------------------
    That's pretty lame Milhouse!

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Neildo/index.html

3. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would of thought they would use Seamless Brancing instead of a double sided disc for having both versions of the film.

I would agree though the original version would have been nice (I have only seen the DC release).

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I think that this rumour is excellent news! I just hope it's true!

Blade Runner deserves to be released in both versions, and not just the Director's Cut, which is all you can get on DVD at the moment. To be honest, I prefer the narration of the original, with the more brooding ending of the latter version.

I guess we'll just have to wait, and hope Warners aren't pulling our legs, AND that they don't issue it in one of those ****ty cardboard covers they still insist on using!

(Wasn't it clever of them to give "Any Given Sunday" a two-disc release, but with the second disc, in a sheet of paper, jammed into the inside of the front cover! Yeah, cheers Warner's - not!)

Pooch

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I have heard this rumour too but the date I read was June 2001 (unfortunately) Sounds like a good package they are planning though
    I love the film but thought the existing DVD stank in terms of picture & manky Dolby Surround sound ... Maybe we'll get a stonking new anamorphic DTS version [​IMG]

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

6. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Neildo

That would GREAT if that was ever released!
    I can't wait. [​IMG]
    It's my all time fav scifi movie.

Now if only Predator could have the same
    T2 dvd treatment.

Cya,
    Shaz

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seriously doubt that they could do this as the original release of the film had a running commentary from Decker (Harrison Ford) and I would think that this would be very difficult to do. I don't know, maybe they could do it. It would seem to be the more logical path.
    Neil [​IMG]

------------------
    That's pretty lame Milhouse!

http://members.tripod.co.uk/Neildo/index.html

8. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Neildo I didn't think of that. You can see I have only seen the DC.

I guess it would be best to have a double sided disc (or 2 discs).

Why are company's bringing out 2 Disc Films. Surely they can do it on a double sided disc. Apart from to make it look better.

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Bradavon,

Personally, I'd rather have two single sided DVD's than 1 double-sided DVD. Why? Well:-

a) single-sided discs are less likely to get damaged
    b) single sided discs look nicer
    c) if a disc is damaged in transit from the DVD importers, (on a double disc edition), you don't need to send back the entire package, only the faulty disc.

I think that covers it.

Pooch

10. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a completely different note, am I the only person who actually prefers the cardboard covers? If you look after them, they stay in pristine condition and look much nicer.
    I find the plastic covers make the covers "crinkle" after long periods of time, and you have to buy new ones?
    Maybe I am just a little anal?

11. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the cardboard releases I have (Fight Club, Seven, Boogie Nights) they are all substantially more 'special' than the plastic case 'special editions' I have.

I am very anal when it comes to looking after things, I freely admit. I really hate people that break the spines of books, fingerprints etc. Having freaked out at some friends that returned a RW CD to me covered in scratches I am reconsidering my loans policy! Not a chance in hell of them ever getting a DVD off me.

Anyway, I just wish the super-special box sets had the push-button release knob thing for the discs. That's just excellent! No fiddling around flexing the disc this way and that.

I can understand why folks take their X-Files box sets and the like and put the discs in plastic cases, although I think this and the Buffy set look stunning the way they come.

The X-Men (R1) release is another shiny cardboard case that I was very impressed by when I saw it once recently.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

12. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Aha,

The eternal dilemma - plastic or cardboard. Well, without a shadow of doubt, plastic for me, wins every time. Here's why.

1) Plastic can be easily replaced.
    2) Cardboard cases often get scratched instore/during transit from an R1 importer, and you can't replace them.
    3) Cardboard looks cheap, and is an insult to the product, especially boxed sets. When paying £70 for an R1 boxed set, I don't want to see a heap of cardboard sitting on my DVD shelf!
    4) Cardboard offers no protection to the DVD.
    5) A crappy, old,plastic case is still good for returning a faulty DVD back to your local R1 importer, if the need arises, and offers good protection, alongside a regular Jiffy bag! Cardboard just gets mangled and crushed in the post.
    6) Cardboard is non-replaceable. The slightest damage to it, and it ruins the whole DVD presentation.
    7) Personally, it puts me off buying many DVD's!
    8) It's another excuse to give R2 DVD owners a lesser product. The majority of R1 titles come in plastic, even Warner titles! So why do we have to suffer cardboard? Because it's cheap!

Need I say more?!

Pooch

13. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate the cvard cases. I look after my DVD's VERY well, but the boxes still fall to bits.

I would much rather have the plastic boxes.

14. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    i`m encouraged,reading this debate about plastic or cardboard covers makes me realise i`m not as sad as i thought i was....i mean who cares?

15. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh! Its all a matter of taste!
    Some points, though...

Would anyone buy a film they hated that had really good packaging? If not, why would the reverse apply?

I don't understand the point about carboard being easy to break? What do you people do to them? Its quite simple to open a case, or am I missing the point?
    I have had some nasty moments, though, when trying to release a disc from a too tight plastic spindly thing...

The main argument for plastic covers is that they are tougher and so do not break.
    The main argument for plastic is that they are easier to replace when they do break.

I contest that these arguments cancel each other out and should thus be struck from the records!

Carboard allows more creativity. Even Warners' gatefolds are slightly interesting for a few minutes.

Who really cares that much anyway?
    One day all our cherished discs will be someone's rubbish.

On a different subject, has anyone else noticed that the playing side of discs can be either gold or silver?
    Which do you prefer? I like silver best, me.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gold colour is a result of some discs being RSDL format.

17. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't do anything to my card cases but the spine still falls to bits.

Especially The Matrix.

18. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I am the same, I think the cardboad cases that warner brothers use are crap my Twister DTS got squashed in the post and looks terrible.
    I would much rather have a plastic case they tend to come through the post unscaved.
    PS on the subject of one disk or two I prefer the one disk the T2 UE is the only DVD 18 I have got and I think it is great!

------------------
    And the monkey flips the switch.

19. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    What i do to my dvd cases is throw them at the wall and if they break i reckon the`re ****....i have come to the conclusion that steel cases will be best but i will have to re-plaster often,i would prefer the steel to not be shiny though -as light might reflect off the case as i open it-momentarilly distract me,and result in me sticking the dvd in the letter box or up my wifes arse as she`s doing the hoovering...
    whem i bought t2 the ultimate edition,the cats looked nervous for that very reason....
    So steel might be out...i think i`ll lobby for plastic..