1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bladerunner 'International cut'?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by alancolledge, Jun 14, 2004.

1. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone know anything about this . I've just won it on ebay.

I might be on my own here but I actually preferred the narrated version and have wanted it for a long time on dvd.

I have just done a quick search and can't find any info so I would be grateful if you know anything about what I just bought! :smashin:

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm, sounds a bit iffy to me. I'm not aware of the original over-dubbed version being released on DVD in any shape or form, particularly in an 'All Region' official release! Be interesting to see what you get when it arrives...

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Umm,

Looks like you've been conned! :suicide: It's a fake, a phoney, a swiz, a fraud, an illegitimate son, a con, a pirated disc! :lesson:

Sorry! But if people will use e-Bay, then I have little sympathy when this happens to them!

Why don't people check with people in this forum, before bidding on e-bay, for suspect DVD's?! :confused: It baffles me, because there's a huge amount of knowledge on this board, that would help stop honest, sensible people from bidding for pirated discs, containing pirated films.

I'd bet that this disc is an old VHS version, duped onto a DVD-R disc, and then someone's gone and mocked-up a fake-loonking DVD cover. Hell, the "Blade Runner" logo isn't even accurate!

Pooch

4. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont know if you know the story, but:

The narration was forced on the film by the producers, against wishes of Director and Ford. For this reason Ford tried to record the most monotonous/bored sounding narration he could, so bad they wouldnt use it.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    If I remember rightly this version was available in europe on laserdisc. Someone has probably captured it and dumped it off to dvd. If you are lucky.

The differences from the usual version will be:more violent death scene for Tyrell , bit more gore when pris gets retired , pris does something frankly bizarre to deckards nose during the fight , nail through batty's hand more graphic

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Are people allowed to sell illegal bootlegs on eBay? If you find it's a duffer, you may be able to take steps through eBay, but it might be different as the item was bought from the States. Whatever, you could leave some horrendous feedback, so that other people can be warned. As a bit of a newbie regarding eBay, I'd be interested if anyone knows the legal position.

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    its illegal

8. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your quick responses chaps. For the money I am willing to try it anyway.

As I said I preferred the narration, boring sounding or not, I guess I am too thick for the 'directors make you think' version! :laugh: :blush:

Pooch, thanks for your thoughts. I am aware of the vast knowledge available here but sometimes when you want something you just have to try! And as for pirate copies, IMO there will always be a market for films you cannot get like the Starwars trilogy. If I am suckered I guess I will live and learn.

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +999
    didn't Criterion release an LD version of it?
    Maybe its off that

10. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would like to see a version with the voiceover (which i prefer too) and the directors cut.

11. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's still a pirate copy then all the same... :lesson:

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    When they don't provide the public with what they want then they deserve to be pirated. IMO

13. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    blade runner dvd worms can of crap legal arm as long as mine

14. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've emailed the seller to ask if the dvd is original or a 'remaster' :cool: from a laserdisk or VHS?

I will let you know a response as soon as I get one!

15. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    It's the Criterion/Voyager European Cut laserdisc: I owned it, sold it and regretted it ever since.

Even tho it's sailing the high seas of video piracy, I'd still like to own this on dvd, if it is only a half-decent laserdisc rip. No-one's ever going to sodding bring it out on retail dvd, are they? We won't even get a decent remaster of the Director's Cut.

Basically the "Euro" cut has more violence (Batty's thumbs in Tyrell's eyes, Pris getting shot more etc, audilble sound of Deckard's nose breaking (!)). All good stuff kids! :smashin:

I don't think it's ever been available anywhere else other than the Crit LD. Did they dump the extras as well? (the LD had a production art gallery as I remember.)

Dah. Now I've really gone and made myself want it again. I wish I'd never sold my LD..... :(

regards,
    anephric

16. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    for the whole list of blade runner versions see future noir a great book

17. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I received a reply from the seller today and he has confirmed that the dvd originates from the laserdisc mentioned.

18. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Hi all
    been looking at this thread. Being a fan of this film and owning the ,lets face IT ,crap region 2 edition, I have been waiting to see if a better version is on its way.
    I know for a fact the ridley scott has been working on a two disc version of this film!!! It will have the dirctors cut and the original version of the film plus the excelent documentary that was created for channel four a while back( I forget what it is called)
    I have read various articals on this project that have been in mags such as dvd review and empire. I have not seen anyhing for a while on it though. I am 100 percent sure warner home video and ridely scott will get it out some time soon . It is just a matter of when
    "I'VE SEEN THINGS YOU PEOPLE WOULD'NT BELEIVE"

"I WANT MORE LIFE, FU :censored: R"

19. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,871
    You may want to read this.

20. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    why oh why did someone have to bring up the blade runner question again, it just brings back the pain of not having it - BR is for me the single greatest Sci Fi movie ever made, its a bigger hole in my DVD collection than Star Wars, indeed its far and away a better movie than star wars. I dont own the current release as the picture is awful and the sound even worse. I've been waiting for 6 years now to buy a decent release of the film (although its on Warner so i dont expect that much (a decent print and remastered sound will do)

can we please all make a pact - dont bring BR up again until someone has something positive to say.

Gary

21. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me about it... :(

22. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
  23. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If this guy paid £100 just to see the workprint he's a bit of an obsessive-compulsive goon :suicide: . I've seen a bootleg vhs of the workprint (years ago so my mind is fuzzy-an-ting) and you wouldn't want to actually hand over reddies for it in any way, shape or form. You can probably download a DivX of it. It's not worth £20.

It IS worth watching but bear in mind it's a roughcut with placeholder titles and sound fx, noticeable splices etc. Mostly what you get is slightly different use of takes, readings of lines (Batty saying "father" rather than " :censored: ker") etc (akin to the "director's" cut of Manhunter).

Personally, I'd rather have a decent version of the European Cut (tho aren't we in Europe? Why did it never get shown here? Oh, our decadent continental cousins).

Personally, I don't think the R2 disc is THAT bad. It is grainy, but the image quality is better than the previously best source -- my CAV NTSC laserdisc, so it's not a disastrous make-do affair. And at least it's anamorphic.

Regards,
    Anephric

24. Return of Bruno

Return of Bruno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does anyone no of a divx site where someone could find the bootleg workprint?

25. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    FWIW I recieved the copy today. It is the criterion release, has all the extra scenes as noted.

Obviously not the best in sound or picture quality but I am thankfull I got the version I wanted and looking forward to watching the whole movie again. Has been years since I have seen the non directors cut!