Blade: Trinity Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Sep 12, 2012.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Blade vs. Dracula. It had potential. It could have been interesting. It wasn’t.

After the unprecedented sleeper success of 1998’s Blade started the ball rolling on the whole comic book superhero furore – a path which would eventually lead to Marvel’s epic ensemble blockbuster Avengers – and after the follow-up, Blade II, defied all expectations by being one of those very rare great sequels, a third movie was inevitable, fast-tracked to be made in just half the time it took to get Blade II off the ground.

Continuing my retrospective look at the Blade Trilogy, after my reviews of the first and second movies, here and here,...

Read the full review...

2. True Romance

True Romance
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,026
      Thanks Cas for the 3 blade reviews, I've not seen any of the Blade films since they first came out on DVD. After reading the reviews I've now got Blade 1 & 2 on order, think I'll give part 3 a miss though.

Cheers,
      TR.

3. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,187
      You're welcome mate!! Glade you enjoyed them, high praise that they pushed you into putting them on order! :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy revisiting them mate, do pop on back if you fancy and let us know if they still work for you.

Honestly, there's no reason to pick up 3 unless you need that extra Blade fix. What would be ideal is if we had a cheapish Trilogy box set, that meant you were only spending an extra couple of quid to get Trinity. That'd be perfect. Unfortunately they didn't even release all three at the same time, let alone in a box set. Mind you, at least this doesn't frustrate those who don't want the third one at all!!

Cheers for the comment mate,
      Cas

4. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,239
      I can certainly respect and see why your reasons came to the opinion of a 5/10 - I don't personally feel that Ryan Reynolds came off as annoying - certainly Parker Posey & Triple H were irritating but tolerable.

It just shows how different reviewers have different opinions:

Blade Trinity: 2 Disc Edition Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

and from looking at Andrews review of Blade, he prefers Trinity over Blade as he gave that a 7/10,

although Mark agrees with you on Trinity:

Blade: Trinity Review | AVForums.com - UK Online

My own personal ratings for the 3 films are:

Blade: 8/10
      Blade II: 9/10
      Blade Trinity: 7.5/10

So although I like Trinity, it's certainly not as good as the 2 two previous films.

5. Dazza

Dazza

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +67
      Trinity is an absolute stinker of a movie IMO.
      Totally out of touch with the 2 previous excellent entries.

I could (maybe) understand if someone just stumbled across a script for Trinity with no previous experience of the other 2 (and no previous involvement in film-making) but for Goyer to be involved in this just makes it all the more irritating.

I've already bought Blade on Blu and will definitely be buying Blade II, i wouldn't even pick Trinity up if it was the 99p shelf. Shocker.

6. BRW

BRW

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +135
      Hi Cas,

Thanks for the mammoth conclusion to your Blade reviews.

I have to say that I neither remember them to be quite as good as you say nor, as in the case of Trinity, quite as bad. But it's been years since I saw them so I'd have to rewatch them before trying to argue with your comprehensive deconstruction of Trinity.

What I do remember is Reynolds being quite funny, and that guy from Prison Break looking very out of place as Dracula. Don't remember the cast being quite that bad but I suppose the movie wasn't that memorable either!

I'm certainly going to pick these up. As expected, you've piqued my interest. Just a shame there isn't a box set because I'm not sure about forking out money to buy Trinity if it really is as bad as you say it is.

7. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,187
      Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

I'd certainly recommend picking them up - probably even the third one if you're a big enough Blade fan - and revisiting them. It was great looking back at the movies after not having seen them for ages, which is probably a big reason why the third one felt like a big insult.

Do let us know what you think about the scoring if you do pick them up! :smashin:

Thanks, Cas

8. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,187
      Pretty-much sums it up! :thumbsup:

9. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,187
      Thanks mate, and thanks for sticking through the three reviews, it's great to have some feedback across them :thumbsup:

It's tough because I didn't want to dislike Trinity (as I mentioned, I'd hoped to be defending it) but I just saw it in a different light this time. When Reynolds was cracking wise he was quite funny, but he just went too far. Every time. There's a scene on the rooftop where he rattles on and then apologises for having had too much sugar. Blade looks at him like he's an idiot, which he is very much acting like. And, for the first, time, I felt like it wasn't just Blade giving him evils, but Snipes as well, who was just cringing over the humour that had been injected into his franchise.

And Posey and Triple H just made me laugh this time around. Every single scene. And not in a good way.

But clearly there is a level of taste involved in it, and perhaps mine have changed over the last near-decade since I saw this film. Perhaps that's why I'm no longer as forgiving. I see it as an insult to the Blade franchise, and all the nails in its coffin.

Snipes, along with Seagal and everybody else who tries to play it fast and loose, should have paid his damn taxes, but imagine if Blade: Trinity hadn't been the end to this series, but instead just another great entry which saw yet more sequels? Who knows how things would have fared for him...

Anyways, thanks for the comments, they're much appreciated :thumbsup:

Cas

10. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +595
      Nice review! Have to agree on the comedy - it's years since I've seen it but I remember absolutely loathing the new comedy schtick- for me the Ryan Reynolds character in this is as movie-destroying as Rob Schneider in judge Dredd and Chris Tucker in The Fifth Element

11. SparkShot

SparkShot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +518
      Reynolds performance probably saved what would have been a fairly dull movie.

Triple H's performance was probably the best from a wrestler-turned-actor since Hulk Hogan in No Holds Barred:smashin:

12. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,187
      Maybe, but isn't it a little worrying that you should feel this way about a Blade movie?! Blade should be enough. You shouldn't need Reynolds wisecracking to get you through it.

I agree, it definitely was bad enough to warrant comparison to Hogan. It's a shame because both The Rock and even, to a far lesser extent, Cena, have proved to be reasonably reliable action icons. Triple H looks totally out of place as a vampire, probably about as scary as Hogan would have been donning the fake teeth.

Cheers for the comments, Cas

13. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,187
      Yup, Schneider ruined the original Dredd for me too, it's funny how much damage misplaced comedy elements can do to a purportedly serious movie.

Ah well, I'm just working my way through the Blade TV series as I'd promised myself, at least there's no comedy there!

Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed the review :thumbsup:

Cas

14. Mshulla

Mshulla

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +98
      The Blade trilogy, 3 great reviews and they pretty much match my on view of the movies.
      Well apart from for me the original Blade movie is my favourite.

Trinity the franchise killer is crap. Reynolds I like as an actor but is so wrong for this movie. Biel, a pretty face not much talent that I've seen and and a pointless addition.

The ony part I remember liking is when Dracula walks into a shop selling vampire memrobilla and gets taunted by the guy behind the counter. Gave me a chuckle anyway.

15. shawnduhast

shawnduhast

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +49
      I agree with you Cas - awful movie that laughs at itself in a bad way and spoils the previous 2.

I'll just be happy with the first 2 thank you which I will now buy purely down to the enthusiasm in these reviews of yours Cas!

Look forward to your review of Blade UK next month :)

16. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,187
      Cheers mate, glad you enjoyed them!

A Trilogy collection would be the only way that most fans would be happy to pick up the third, without that, I can see it getting left behind.

Yup, only a couple of weeks until Blade, although, as has been noted, it looks like it is likely to be identical to the US one - which is only good news :thumbsup:

Thanks, Cas

17. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,187
      Glad you enjoyed the reviews mate :thumbsup:

Honestly, I think I probably agree with you on the first movie being my favourite too, I can just understand why so many prefer the second (they are always fighting for pole position in my mind - it's just such a great sequel).

Such a pity about Trinity. :suicide:

Cheers for following the retrospective though, the comments were very much welcome, sorry it took me so long to reply.

Cas

18. edo1080

edo1080

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +52
      Are the trailers in this Blu-ray UK edition in SD or HD 1080?