1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut Ultra HD Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in '4K Ultra HD Blu-rays' started by Simon Crust, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Simon Crust

Simon Crust
      Movies Review Co-ordinator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,292
      • Thanks Thanks x 8
      • Like Like x 5
      • List
    2. Essoman

Essoman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +565
      10 out of 10 for me, my new reference disk, still looks futuristic now, apart from CRT sets and no mobile phones! A must buy!

3. dmk1198

dmk1198

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +395
      Great review and good point re. Theatrical cut making more sense

I guess the fact he's in new sequal and has aged shows he wasn't a replicant
      Meaning final cut is null n void lol

4. jimmybignutz

jimmybignutz
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15
      Deckard could be a Nexus 8 that is more advanced than Roy 6, Rachel 7. He could still be a replicant with longer life span.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    5. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +674
      The movie only got 9/10? This is the easiest 10 I've ever seen, it's a masterpiece from start to finish!

As for the disc, I'm still waiting for the special edition, but I'm very glad to hear it's every bit as good as it should be.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    6. Dixie4

Dixie4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +430
      This is an impressive disc, especially the Atmos soundtrack, which i think is the best yet, but i wish there wasn't grain in some parts of the film. I know it's supposed to be like this, but i kind of wish it had a clean image throughout.
      It's still very much worth the purchase & for those sitting on the fence, i'd say buy it. I think it's the type of UHD disc that needs to be viewed on a 65" screen, for full effect. ( My screen is 50". )

7. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +214
      Watched yesterday, definitely the best UHD I've seen and gives me faith that 4k movies are worth it.

8. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,546
      Hmmm. Well if you are going to watch the theatrical cut Id say dont bother and watch the international cut which has an extra minute or so of violence and is identical otherwise.

And...it remains to be seen what the "special edition" holds. Just look at the fury on the US forums! By the sounds of things it wont be special at all...

9. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +789
      one of my favourite films and I have bought it on many formats along the way but this disk really is as good as all of the reviews have said it is.

along with the fifth element this shows what UHD can bring to classic movies when the studios have the will to do so.

now lets see the original star wars films in this quality without the additional Lucas buffoonery of the "special" editions........

how about the alleged 4K master of the abyss? or am I just getting a bit silly at this point

10. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +73
      A devastatingly wonderful disc! Amazing picture, sound, and movie of course. Bring on more 4K discs of this quality.

11. babator

babator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +250
      Think I will wait for the inevitable 8k Ultimate Cut in 2027, I have rebought the movie too many times as is.

12. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +856
      I have the 2007 Final Cut, but I guess that I'll add this new disc to my list of 4K titles to buy when I finally get the Sony 75ZD9, which thanks to a tax refund yesterday I can now afford. And the Atmos track will be good when I finally get round to installing my Denon AVR-X7200WA, which has been sitting in its box in the hall since March ....

My list of 4K titles to buy is now Sully, Deepwater Horizon, The Great Wall, The Shallows, Lucy and now Blade Runner.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    13. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,721
      I've owned just about every version and format of this film that there is, but this one is a huge leap.
      PQ and audio are breathtaking.

14. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,104
      10 all round for me, stunning does not even cover it to be honest!

15. muljao

muljao

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +426
      I remember starting to watch this film when I was young and it was crap. Harrison Ford was doing an annoying voice over spoiling the whole thing. I turned it off after about 20 minutes

The director's cut was on somewhere sometime later, I think I was in a friend's house so I sat down against my will to watch it. It is a completely different animal. A great movie start to finish.

I hope that narrated version was burned never to be seen again.

I read years later that the director and Harrison Ford didn't want it narrated and Ford said he tried to be as boring and monotone as possible without it being obvious hoping they would scrap the idea. It was still released with the voice over

16. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,721
      In the "Dangerous Days" documentary they play a couple of takes from Ford's voiceover recording session, you can tell he didn't want to be there and every take is followed by a comment like "this is just bizarre", "I don't understand this" etc.

17. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +561
      I've owned 2xVHS, Directors Cut DVD, Final Cut Blu-Ray, and now watched the UHD last night. I think the Atmos sound was a highlight, I thought PQ varied, some scenes very sharp, some scenes looked soft, no denying though how detailed and amazing the entire production design looked, still remarkable 30 years later. I guess some of the varied PQ could be down to the e-shift effect, as JVC is not native 4K, and I have seen times when it introduces some blur/softness.

I'm not a scholar of this movie, but I consider The Final Cut definitive, therefore do not understand the reviewers comments on the 'Is Dekkard a replicant?' question. For me the odd pictures on the piano, the instinctual bond/relationship with Rachel, his 'own kind', the 'origami' clues, and mostly the "you've done a man's job' line. I understand the unicorn dream was added to the Final Cut only, but wasn't everything else already in the other cuts?

18. dmk1198

dmk1198

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +395
      The eyes shining was highlighted more in final cut

19. Bubs

Bubs

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      Ok, you lot have convinced me to purchase this. Only recently rewatched the bluray version. Looking forward to comparing.

20. BrightonChris

BrightonChris
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,001
      In terms of PQ it's a bit of a grainathon for my tastes. I know it's meant to be but I was hoping for a cleaner image. I certainly wouldn't call it demo quality. If I was going to pick a film to show off the format, John Wick 2 is still comfortably top of the pile.

That said, the model work is fantastic and the HDR works it magic at the end with the light cascading in to the dark building. Obviously still a fantastic film and after not seeing it for many years I really enjoyed the pacing, lack of exposition and intimate nature of the plot.

21. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,571
      If you look at Deckard's collection of photos you'll see there's one of what I presume is supposed to be him and his ex-wife but if you look closely (even clearer in 4K) I'm pretty sure the photo is taken on the same porch as the one of Rachel and her mother.

As for formats, I've had 1 x VHS (Theatrical Cut), 2 x LaserDisc (International Cut and Director's Cut, 1 x DVD (Director's Cut), 1 x HD-DVD (5 Disc Set), 1 x Blu-ray (5 Disc Set) and 1 x Ultra HD Blu-ray (Final Cut).

22. babator

babator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +250
      You win the format war! I refused to get the Blu ray set after the HD DVD one, for one thing.

Speaking of format war, if there is a Vudu streaming version around with Dolby Vision ( Blade Runner: The Final Cut code redeems in 4k with Dolby Vision & Atmos – HD Report ) why not wait for a Dolby Vision or a HDR10+ UHD Blu ray?

23. Golan Globus

Golan Globus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +655
      Watched this today and thought it looked and sounded magnificent. No fake 4K.

Just finished watching the marathon olde-worlde DVD of Dangerous Day and it's a sin they couldn't do a HD release of it but I'm guessing it will be recut (it is a bit of a mess) and released separately (no problem with that if it's a good package).

One thought I did have watching the Final Cut (V4.0 pf the so-called Final Cut?) was my oh my he seems to have trimmed and trimmed so much good stuff from how I remember things but I still love it and the ending is my dream ending.

4K Blu-ray transfer: 10/10
      Extra content: **** all 0/10 don't let the hyperspace door hit your arse on the way out Ridley.

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,369
      Great review and a no-brainer purchase. Can't wait to watch it :).

25. zubeir

zubeir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +482
      Love this film to bits, with an amazing soundtrack from Vangelis to match. I have watched this on video, have a final cut version on Blu ray. When I get round to buying an OLED tv, this UHD version along with Planet Earth II will be my first pick of discs.
      Nearly wet meself with the excitement :oops:

26. Winnie1221

Winnie1221

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +164
      I'd have had this on release day if it wasn't my birthday at the end of the month.

This film sits at the top of my UHD Wanted list that I let slip to my other half! I've also been hinting about this for weeks now - i'm hoping she has got the message!

27. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +464
      The unicorn dream was in the Director's Cut. The only differences between the Director's Cut and the Final Cut are: Some cleaned up VFX. Removal of some visible wires used for practical effects, making the audio and mouth match when Deckard talks to the snake dealer. Making the audio match the visuals during the snake scale identification with the microscope. The addition of a short shot of two dancers in tubes. Making the background when Roy releases the pigeon match the rest of the film. They are essentially the same, with the Final Cut having fixed effects.

28. rebel_scum

rebel_scum
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,253
      I'm not a scholar of this movie, but I consider The Final Cut definitive, therefore do not understand the reviewers comments on the 'Is Dekkard a replicant?' question. For me the odd pictures on the piano, the instinctual bond/relationship with Rachel, his 'own kind', the 'origami' clues, and mostly the "you've done a man's job' line. I understand the unicorn dream was added to the Final Cut only, but wasn't everything else already in the other cuts?[/QUOTE]
      Blade Runner (Comparison: Director's Cut - Final Cut) - Movie-Censorship.com

29. BRAKKUS1

BRAKKUS1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,398
      It looked and sounded absolutely fantastic! HDR is the standout feature here, then Atmos, then 4K.

30. bertplucker

bertplucker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6
      I assume this is the same film that was the bluray release so I guess its only worth buying
      if you now have a ultra hd tv and player. The lucky ones will be those that only had a dvd before.
      Laugh at the trap all these film makers get stuck into when something they are involved with takes on a life of its own.
      I would bet the original theatrical release is exactly what everyone wanted from director to star.
      Same with Alien and now ridley tying himself in knots with all the new exposition.
      Lucas is the same with star wars after the unexpected success dreaming up some sort of brexit
      negotiation/toy francise with he obviously limited imagination.
      My current favorite story turn is han solo getting himself killed off for no real reason that i can
      see except the fact he nearly got killed on the set for real and wanted out of the circus.