Blade Runner HD DVD playback problems

Gae

Novice Member
Just spent £20 on the Blade Runner HD DVD 5 disc box set only to find that the movies dont play smoothly. There are two DVDs in the set which are fine but its the HD movies themselves that go into "slow motion" during playback. I dont understand this either. I can watch BBC HD via DVBViewer at 1080i resolution and play other HD DVDs like "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and "Mad Max 2" etc fine....the encoding seems to be around the same. Along with The Blade Runner movies, they all run at around 20 Mbps and above. The only HD DVDs that have done this before were "The Searchers" and "Children of Men" but they were encoded at around 30 Mbps and were a bit too much for my CPU and Memory. I've tried ripping the movie to the hard drive but DVD Fab HD decrypter doesnt seem to want to read it. I guess Warner have put a fix on their discs now.
I've spent a fortune upgrading my PC, buying an XBox 360 HD DVD add on, buying PowerDVD Ultra and a new graphics card etc for what? To spend a further £20 to watch one of my favourite movies in slow motion!!!:thumbsdow
At this point HD DVD sucks and I'll stick with DVD. :thumbsdow

Gae

Gae

Novice Member
Just watched the whole "Final Cut" version and apart from 3 or 4 times where the film went into "slow-mo" the rest was fine. I take back everything I said. I think the fact that it's a mostly dark film and there's no fast editing/action in the movie helped.

Viewing the movie again after several years, it's still very powerful and qualifies as one of my all-time favourite films. :thumbsup:

Gae

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom