1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade Runner - Directors Cut

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by knoxy, May 12, 2003.

1. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Another offer at Music Zone, £6!

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really worth 6p :(

Now a new release with decent PQ & 5.1/DTS for £6, that would be something.

Not the only one waiting though :)

3. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    u know, i havent actually seen this film (shocking, i know!) and i just havent been able to find it (although i may be blind), so i was pretty amazed to find it there for 6 quid!

not a good deal then? damn, there was me thinking, 'GOAL!' when i found it... curses... :suicide:

4. Raffles

Raffles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your into Sci-Fi knoxy this is a cracking good film.

Cheers.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, gonna agree with Kramer on this! :)

The DVD is BARELY watchable on a 28" TV, it really is bad.. I guess because it's dark throughout the film it doesn't help. It looks OK in the bright scene with the Owl (wotsits office) but the rest looks awful.
    Oh yeah just Pro-Logic as well.

Dread to think what it looks like on my 42", or even on a PJ :(

6. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NO ! .... Do yourself a BIG favour, hang back and dont purchase this inferior DVD !

Ridley is in the process of bringing out a new revamped version with bells and whistles. This is a truly classic film and I can't wait for the new version ... should be landing sometime in Autumn according to rumours.

Ridley Scott on the new Blade Runner DVD -
    "What we're doing is re-mixing digitally and reprinting off the
    original negative," Scott told SciFi Wire while chatting up BLACK HAWK
    DOWN. "So we'll have a new version. It won't be dramatically
    different, but it will be as beautiful as it should be. BLADE RUNNER
    was a beautiful-looking film, and what most of this generation has
    seen are bad tapes. Thank God for DVD, because DVD at least resurrects
    the thing to the original sound and picture quality. I'd love people
    to be able to see it big, and that's what I'm doing."

http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm

yummy!

Rashomon

7. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    noooo! anybody want to buy a Blade Runner DVD? :)

can't believe they're bringing out a new version, blooming typical!

8. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I know how you feel, the present copy will now be only good as a coaster

Thanks rashomon for the heads up on the upcoming reissue

Del:smoke:

9. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I wouldn't hold your breath for the new DVD set of BladeRunner as it's still caught up in legal wrangles. It was set to be released last year for the 20th anniversary but it didn't happen, even though it seemed it was pretty ready to go - Scott had said in a couple of interviews that he'd recorded the commentary track for it a while back.

It does sound like a superb set - 3 DVD's containing a new definitive director's cut + the original cut with (hopefully) Deckard's narration intact, the Ch4 documentary and probably much behind the scenes/interviews/deleted scenes material.

I personally can't wait.

I have the film on DVD and while I agree that it isn't the best transfer I've ever seen, I would have to disagree with nathan_silly when he states that it's "BARELY watchable on a 28" TV, it really is bad".

Well I've got a 32" Tosh and it's perfectly watchable on that - room for improvement?...hell yeah! But it's way better than any VHS/TV broadcast of the movie I've ever seen.

Knoxy, I'd personally be happy I'd picked it up for £6 as it's very hard to find these days. Who knows when Warners will sort out their legal troubles and get the new set released (but if they suddenly announce it next month, just after you've bought this edition, well you've an extra version of the movie on disc:D )

It is a classic SF film and one of my personal favourites so I don't mind owning a few different versions, after all this version is unlikely to make it to the 3 DVD set.

Enjoy it while waiting for the ultimate version to arrive.

EDIT: I forgot to say, there is still no mention of the 3 DVD set on Warners release schedule updates so far this year.

10. pcotton

pcotton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just cant wait for this release : Please update when it hits - these will sell like hotcakes - best and most atmospheric SF film ever made - what format will the sound be in ?

11. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I have the opportunity to buy a copy of the D.C. on laserdisc. It is the CAV version. Is it worth having while waiting for the (if it happens) SE DVD.

It should only cost me a few quid so that sounds like a good deal to me.

12. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    The current R2 dvd is about equivalent to the NTSC CAV LD, picture-wise (I've owned both). The LD was perhaps a little sharper in the lighter scenes (Batty on the rooftop, etc) but that's based on my memories of the PQ on 2 completely different set-ups and 10 years on. There's also the horrible amounts of colour-noise that LD puts out to contend with.

If you need to get an LD, get the Criterion LD: it's the original version (avec narration) but is also a "Euro" cut with extra violensch (I like the violensch *slurp*) such as Pris getting shot more, Batty putting out Tyrell's eyes, nail thru back of hand cu etc. It also has a few (paltry) extras. The Warners CAV disc has none (and, for God's sake, it's CAV: why do you want side changes every 25-30 mins -- some of the ones in this title are SHOCKING, (interrupting Deckard's chase of Zhora, for example)). Get the Crit -- it's CLV.

I've owned all three and would quite like the Crit back, as that cut will NEVER be released again.

I wouldn't hold your breath for the SE DVD: you'll go blue then black then pop. If you see the existing R2 dvd for £6, I'd buy it: it'll do as a placeholder. I watch it on a 36" WS and it's grainy as hell but it'll do.

13. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Ok Thanks.

14. Mr Jolly

Mr Jolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    You could always sell it on ebay - they have been fetching between 17 and 23 quid lately! Go on make yourself a nice little profit and then get the new version later.

15. sfc

sfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think we can expect the new version in years if all is to be believed from http://www.brmovie.com/BR_Special_Edition.htm

Since the guy (Jerry Perenchio) who 'owns' the film (the film defaulted on it's loans - so those who were guarantors got ownership of the film) detests it and never wants a release then the most we can hope for is that he kicks the bucket soon and the rights pass to someone who is a bit more appreciative of one of the top films of all time.

It sounds like it is possible that WB may release an interim which is of better quality than the NTSC tape source release that is out at the moment - but it would be nothing like the treasure trove that the SE would be.

16. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Stupid situation: I know ppl have been flamed for wishing Pinocchio dead but since he's a billionaire I can safely assume (leftie that I am) that he's done some sickeningly lugubrious things in his time, so I have no problem in agreeing with you.

What a self-important, arrogant egomaniacal ****** that man must be.

17. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I don't know why people slant the BR DVD, it's better than a VHS copy. Ok it's not in the same league as the newer DVD releases, but this film is almost 25 years old.

Yeah ok, i agree it could do with a clean-up and 5.1 sound with all the trimmings, but i'm very happy with my DVD and it looks good on the big screen.

I'm happy with the Dir.Cut of BR, till the new one gets let out of the bag, when everyone stops arguing about who owns what et all. :D

Just my thoughts......