1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blade runner cuts restored.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, May 23, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Just a little info from the melon farmers web site regarding blade runner.

Title Cuts Cert Runtime Notes

Bladerunner 111:46s 1982 US Science Fiction film by Ridley Scott (Directors Cut from Warner Home Video)
    No BBFC cuts but violent material was left on the cutting room floor. This has now re-appeared in a new version doing the festival circuit in 2005.

Thanks to Dave:

The death of Priss is much more violent. Ford shoots
    her three times or so and the camera really lingers on
    her blood oozing body which is graphic to see. This
    not shown in present DVD versions all regions.
    Roys killing of his genetic creator by pressing his
    fingers into the eye sockets shows graphically blood
    and brain matter squirting out for several seconds cut
    in all present DVD versions.
    Roys self mutilation shows the nails going into his
    hands in greater detail than in present DVD versions.

112:02s Early video releases from Warner Home Video
    No BBFC cuts but violent material was left on the cutting room floor

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    what are you saying David!! is it coming!! will my 10/10 collection soon be complete - will the last of my classic fav film soon be on my shelf? (can i get a pirate copy :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Gary

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I thought you might be interested in this Gary :D

I dont know if its coming or not but a limited new release round the festivals may..........and I stress may be one of the first steps forward. :)

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    If they'll allow any new version on DVD they'll allow the long promised three discer. Hopefully the version discussed above is the long awaited "definitive" cut by Scott.

I can't wait! Give me it now!!! :D

5. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If its the definite version, should be something worth waiting for :D

Lets hope they do a good remastering job too.

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    It wont be hard to beat the old dvd will it? :)

7. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed, amen to that :devil:

8. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    So it won't include the scenes of Deckard visiting the first Blade Runner in hospital, after he gets shot at the start of the movie. Damn! Not quite definitive, me thinks.

9. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    is there an original transfer with harrison fords commentry on ,i've got the directors cut as this is the only version i've been able to find.
    from what i can remember i think the commentry versions better.

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :eek: No it isn't . It's the work of the devil.

11. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This does not look good. No deleted scenes = no new version. The changes above indicate a more graphic film, not necessarily a better film. Many deleted scenes exist to make the film longer. In particular when Deckard visists Holden (the Blade Runner blown away at the start 'Let me tell you about my mother'!) in hospital. Holden is in an iron lung. There are more deleted scenes. However, BRmovie.com has removed them from it's site (copyright presumably).

From BRmovie.com:
    Latest News 16th March 2004
    In what has now become a quarterly update, I can say that last week The Home Theater Forum held a live chat with Warner Home Video and it wasn't long before "the question" was asked: "What is the status of the definitive, multi-disc Blade Runner special edition?" The answer was not a total negative, but was hardly inspiring either, "You all know BLADE RUNNER has legal issues. We are currently investigating what options we have to revisit the title." One might deduce from this that the 3-DVD set with Ridley's definitive cut may have gone on indefinite hold, but that Warners might be considering the lesser option of releasing an "interim" version. The ownership rights are so messed up that I really have no idea exactly what that could include or how much better of a transfer they might be able to achieve without further permissions. As usual, it is a case of wait and see.
    If you are so inclined, you might want to sign a petition to Jerry Perenchio about letting the full BR:SE happen. I personally think it is more likely to **** him off than have any positive effect, but here is the petition for you to check out.

Perenchio (what a slimebag) is the 1 person blocking the SE. However, he must surely be pursuaded to relent if he knows how much money he could make from a proper SE. Hopefully. :lease: Here's to waiting.... :beer:

12. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    it was looking quite positive for a while there, i almost broke into a smile :) then Gorshin arrived and ****** on my chips :( ***sigh***

Thanks for the info David (and yes you to Gorshin :) )

One day i'll sit in my lounge and watch it in holo-vision :D

Until then the words "Blade and Runner" will be banished from my vocabulary.

Gary

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    IMHO - this is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Blade Runner died at the box office, no one seemed to like it. Critics panned it, the public weren't interested and Warner Bros apparently didn't try to hard to promote it. Think about it, Ridley Scott arriving off the back of Alien, Harrison Ford Is being Han Solo, and about to be Indiana Jones. Box Office Gold!!! err, no.

What they got was dark, this wasn't Star Wars, this was dark - it rained, it was neon, it was dirty and it was dark. Warners wanted Toy sales and lunch boxes, they got eliquent cyborgs, dreams involving unicorns, ambigous morals, hookers with snakes and a tacked on ending using footage from "the Shining".

It was beset by problems; sets to large; Scott's legendary attention to detail - but not really having the clout to get stuff done; Harrison Ford not being to happy with his director etc etc etc. Add all that up and you have a lot of tension between EVERYBODY!!!

Yet for all that, out of that mess a profound movie emerged. The kind of movie that you can really get your teeth into on a lot of levels (most of them beyond me, but i'm aware of thier existance :) )

With a fantastic central performance by Ford, a surporting cast head by Rutger Hauer in a career defining performance (some might say that this is his peak.) Roy Batty is a fantastic character, his speech is one of the rare things i can quote :) And anyone who has seen it will tell you how moving and profound it is.

The bleak neon future painted by Scott is simply stunning, underpined by Vangelis's superb score it can bring a lump to the throat. indeed the first time i saw it on a big screen it took my breathaway. In many ways you have already seen Scotts vision of the future, because it has been copied, cut up and recycled some many times in so many other movies. So much so it could almost be seen as "generic" now.

I'm divided as to the which version is best as i enjoy them both for different reasons. I'd settle for any version. :)

I feel really sad now as writing all that, as i have reminded how much i love it and how ****ing angry i am that i dont ****ing have it :mad: - yet i do have an all-singing all-dancing DTS version of Pearl ****ing Harbor!

:D

Gary

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Thanks Gary, I hope it gets a decent release sometime then so I can decide if you're right or not! :)

16. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    me too :) but i wont hold my breath :)

Gary

17. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not only one of the great SF movies and one of the great latter-day film noirs, but one of the great movies, full stop.

It's dark, downbeat and grim, yet simultaneously incredibly beautiful and at times elegiac. As for the character of Roy Batty and Rutger Hauer's performance - well, I could write a book. :) Yes folks, we are -believe it or not- talking about a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster.

Scott made a movie of rare intelligence -one of the few occasions that filmed Science Fiction reached the heights of the best in SF literature- and the studio and backers freaked and did their best to dumb it down in post production. But even in its bowlderised "voice over" version, the beauty of this particular gem still shone through.

The so-called "Director's Cut" was like manna from heaven and got us closer to the initial promise this movie held before the suits had their way. I'm just drooling in anticipation of Scott's definitive cut.

Some of the deleted footage was shown in Mark Kermode's Channel 4 documentary (which is to be included in the 3 disc set when it appears). But Scott has always made it clear that not all of the deleted footage will make it into his definitive cut. Some of it was deleted for good reason and will remain so.

As for the version discussed above, I've done a bit of checking and this seems to be nothing more than the so-called "International Version" of the movie. This was a slightly more graphic version of the movie (all of 15 seconds in total) that was released in Europe and Asia in 1982 and cropped up as a Criterion laserdisc in the USA in 1993, as well as having several screenings on US cable TV through the mid 1980s.

The three scenes of more graphic content included in this version are the scenes described in the original post. So no, this isn't Scott's new cut.

If Scott's proposed definitive cut is the one he originally envisioned then this will probably be close to what has since become known as "The Workprint Version". This was the version shown at sneak previews in Denver and Dallas in 1982, and contains at least seventy audio and visual differences between this and all other versions of the movie (including the "Director's Cut").

This version resurfaced when it was accidentally loaned for screening at The Fairfax Cinema in 1990 when they asked Warner to find them a 70mm print to show. This is the cut that garnered the publicity that revived interest in Scott's original cut which led eventually to the "Director's Cut" release of 1992 (the current DVD version). But note - there are still many differences between this and the "Director's Cut".

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Nice post pauley! i'd settle for any version with a decent picture, I really would. The current DVD (as i'm sure know) is sub VHS, it when i bought it i watched it for all of 5 mins).

If i'm honest i'd be more excited about this DVD than any star wars movie. (and i LOVE star wars!) i have wet dreams about DTS sound and a THX quality transfer but they will remain just that. Its warners after all :(

its just horrible to have of one of my fav movies in this legal limbo. :(

Gary

Gary

19. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    My favourite film. Period.

The worst DVD transfer I own. Period.

:mad:

...PJ :)

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Not my favourite film but one for which a ‘good’ dvd print is long overdue.

21. masher

masher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJTX100

ditto

tried to watch last night vis Samsung HD850, upscaled fully digital to Xelos A37. It looked absolutely awful :mad: Won't be watching again until a new version comes out (unless I go back to good old VHS which I feel can't be any worse than this DVD :( )

:mad:

Cheers Mash

22. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149

Yes, it's the "Euro" version that I owned on Crit LD.

It's worth owning, imo, as an alt. version. I doubt it'll get a dvd release, tho.

Scott's faffed-with new DC (which sounds horrible, btw - the one thing BR doesn't need is redone FX/CGI spinners and that hospital scene) is bound in legal limbo and prolly won't see the light of day before the HD era.

23. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The DVD may be rough but no way can it be classed as sub Vhs

24. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Bladerunner is a superb film, but it could have been so much better still if it hadn't been for the last-minute script changes.

Spoilers, highlight to read:

1) There was a originally a fifth replicant named Mary. Removing her from the script at the last minute introduced some dreadful continuity problems every time anyone mentioned how many replicants there were left. In an attempt to rectify this, the scene in which Rachel (Sean Young) kills Leon and the scene in which Deckard (Harrison Ford) is talking to Bryant (the police captain) are shown in what would originally have been the wrong order. This is the reason for Bryant's speech about "he's a god-damn one man slaughterhouse". At that point in the film both Zora and Leon are supposed to have been killed.
    This also introduces a lot of weird continuity problems with Harrison Ford covered in cuts and bruises from a fight that hasn't happened yet.

2) In the scene where Deckard searches Leon's flat and finds the photographs, Leon was originally supposed to be inside the flat the whole time, wedged up against the ceiling, and watching.

3) Most important of all, in the original script the person Batty (Rutger Hauer) kills at the end is not actually really Tyrell at all. They're supposed to do the speech about viruses and "the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long". Batty then realises that this isn't really Tyrell he's facing, it's a replicant replacement for Tyrell. That's why he pulls his skull apart.

J F Sebastian then confesses that the real Tyrell is actually dead. He was put into cryogenic storage a while back but, on a recent visit, Sebastian was responsible for damaging the cryo storage unit to the point that Tyrell is now truly dead and can no longer be revived. That, of course, is the reason why Batty kills Sebastian - an action that, in the film as it stands, makes no sense.

Still, it's a fine film despite all this.

I sometimes wonder, though, if it would have the same impact on someone who saw it for the first time now. The whole "bleak, dark future dominated by megacorporations" thing has been done so many times it's become a cliché. It Was Bladerunner that actually invented it. :)

25. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I'm another fan of the 'commentary version'. It adds a 'film noire' touch to it which works well.

I think the 'director's cut with it removed ruins the film.

It's one of the few aoccasions where the DC version is worse than the original 'studio version'.

Ony problem with these type of films is that they start to look more and more dated each year.

26. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    can you tell me why you think its dated Kevo, i think its one of the least dated sci fi films i've ever seen.

Gary

27. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The technology, gadgets etc.... or lack of (internet, lcd screens, mobile phones etc etc).
    They can only use the technology of today like the 70s vector graphics HUDs in Star Wars for example or the punch cards in Rollerball, the rest is down to the Director's imagination.

Happens to all these sci-fi films. Time soon catches up with 'em!

I'm sure the ones made today will start to look dated even sooner.

Not the the filmmakers fault, they can't predict the future, even one with an imagination like Scott.
    It's still a good film though, just better when it was first released

28. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'd agree with all that - but i dont think its dated to badly, i think the bleak dark rain sodden future is right on the money.

Gary

29. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I agree, the atmosphere is great.

Total Recall and Running Man (very advanced for it's day) are others that still stand up well.

30. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,988
    Thats actually one of the most fascinating things about science fiction (not just talking tech) ; the good ones truely reflect the hopes and fears of humanity for the future, they speak more about the time in which they were made rather than any real future.

I agree about the commentary on the original version too,I really like the ~1940s type detective noir feel it gave.In fact thats the reason I put off buying it on dvd, but I must have it, the projector is crying out :zonked:

Is the current version really that bad?
    even the *special* edition? :rolleyes: