Blade runner crappy transfer

-=Kamikaze=-

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently bought this movie on DVD here in Denmark because it was cheap and I liked the movie and all I can say is “Holy crappy transfers Batman!!”.

This is without any doubt the worst DVD transfer I have ever seen in my life. It looks like someone first transferred a worn-out VHS copy of the film to a PC, converted the movie to 256 colours and copied the result onto a DVD.

Can any other owner of the PAL version confirm that the transfer sucks this much? How about the NTSC version how is the transfer on those because the PAL version is a insult to anyone who loves the movie.

I have the region 2 pal and agree totally. The picture being horribly framed was what bother me most. For anyone wanting to buy the edition I have, DONT!!!!

ad

Its cheap because there will be a new special edition of the film due out by end of this year (so they say). Its one film we are all waiting for.:rolleyes:
marc

Originally posted by marcoeser
Its cheap because there will be a new special edition of the film due out by end of this year (so they say). Its one film we are all waiting for.:rolleyes:
marc

The SE is due early 2003. Current specs are a 3 disc set with at least 3 versions of the movie

But will any of them be of watchable quality?

Ad

Yeah and what of the sound? DD2.0, DD5.1, DTS5.1 or DTS ES?

more importantly, will it have nice packaging! :) :rolleyes: :blush:

Maybe we should 'pre-write the specs' and send them on over!

Ad

Bladerunner is a fairly old transfer and a fairly early compression job ( one of the first discs out) . The region1 and region2 are similar quality.

Watching either on nasty players ( 8 bit dac models) and or 100Hz TVs can aggravate the nastiness.

Then for the love of god and all that is holy and pure on this earth please transfer them again instead of using the old one. And how about some of that digital enhancement everybody seems to be doing to old movies. And DTS ES discrete please... pretty please?!?

Hopefully it will include the original cut with Ford's voice over which I prefer to the 'Director's Cut' which had it removed.

They'll be all-new director approved transfers with remixed audio and extras up the yin yang. It'll be an improvement over everything that's come before (wouldn't be hard:rolleyes: )

Think im interested then! It was one of those films i actually liked on tv when i saw it, but the transfer to projector and dvd kinda killed my enthusiasm!

Ad

Apparently on the Spec Ed dvd, in addition to the original version & directors cut, there will be a definitive, totally finished, never to be re-edited, all singing all dancing new cut of the movie. It's like T2 all over again!

This might upset some of you but the original version should not have been messed with. That INCLUDES the "happy" ending.

This is not some film that was trashed by the censor or shortened to improve the running time - the director had his chance to get it right and if he didn't like it - so what? We all did.

The extra bits in the DC & those alleged to be in version 3, detract from the ambiguity that was part of the magic of the original. To add these scenes is rather like starting The Usual Suspects with Kevin Spacey saying "it's me, I'm Keyser".

By all means keep the deleted scenes as extras but don't screw up the original just to make a quick buck. It insults us fans who dragged the original from being an expensive straight-to-video flop to a cult & commercial success.

Since the set will probably cost circa £35, perhaps the studio should offer a discount to anyone who can show they own a copy of an original 80's video version to reward their loyalty & support?!!

;)

Oh well - I didn't know about the new version coming out! At least the dvd is better than my old VHS copy!

Maybe I will buy the SE if there is any footage of Harrison Ford talking about why he never talks about the movie!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom