Blade Runner 2049 (October 6, 2017)

Rate this film

• Total voters

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
There is early rumors from various sources that the writers of 'Eagle Eye' movie (staring Shia LaBeouf) - John Glenn & Travis Wright have been working through various treatments for a sequel over the last couple years, working alongside Blade Runner co-executive producer Bud Yorkin, and all of this has been done outside the studio system, probably hoping studios would compete in a bidding war when the script is ever finalized.

Eagle Eye has not opened to great reviews in america, though currently no.1 at the box office. If Ridley Scott was involved then i think most people might be interested, as money might not be a primary motive to Scott, but a good story might be, but he's not involved, and i doubt fans will be interested, so it might never happen...

I don't know what to think of that.

Part of me drools at the thought of it, as Blade Runner is one of my fave films.
But the other part thinks it could never be a patch on the original and there's plenty of scope for it to be a disaster, which would be a shame.

It's a pity RS isn't involved, as you suggest.

They'll probably go and ruin this great franchise and make a crappy sequal anyway as that's the way hollywood works these days

This can't possibly end well.

I hope that this idea never takes off because Blade runner is too good to be tanished or ruined by people who are only interested in making money :mad:.

Blade Runner is not alone as a movie anyway. Soldier, starring Kurt Russell, is a companion piece to it. There is so much scope based around Rutger Hauer's speech alone to populate a raft of movies. I think the Blade Runner universe deserves to be explored.

Blade Runner is not alone as a movie anyway. Soldier, starring Kurt Russell, is a companion piece to it. There is so much scope based around Rutger Hauer's speech alone to populate a raft of movies. I think the Blade Runner universe deserves to be explored.

In what way is Soldier a companion piece to Blade runner?

They'll probably go and ruin this great franchise and make a crappy sequal anyway as that's the way hollywood works these days

Is it just me that doesn't like the word franchise when talking about classic films;)? It reminds me of the two Americans when having just bought a sporting institution steeped in history kept talking about Liverpool FC as a franchise:eek::rolleyes:. The Police Academy series is a franchise, Blade Runner is a classic film IMO.

As far as a sequel goes, whilst i'd be interested in seeing it I think it would be hard to come up with anything new that wouldn't end up being disappointing. I'd rather they left it alone and just wrote a new script for an original film personally. But that is wishful thinking at the moment, there would need to be a run of sequel flops to turn hollywood off ideas like this. For every TDK there are far too many poor sequels IMO.

In what way is Soldier a companion piece to Blade runner?

i was wondering too, so looked it up;

Soldier;
It was written by David Peoples, who co-wrote the script for Blade Runner. By his own admission, he considers Soldier (though it was extensively rewritten by director Paul W. S. Anderson), to be a "sidequel"/spiritual successor to Blade Runner. It also obliquely references various elements of stories written by Philip K. Dick (who wrote the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, on which Blade Runner is based), or film adaptations thereof.

Is it just me that doesn't like the word franchise when talking about classic films;)?

I hate it too. Some films are brilliant on their own. Some deserve a sequel or two but they are not a franchise.:mad: You get a franchise with coffee shops and the like, not films.

Cheers
Bri

Not much of a connection, IMO. The two movies shared a script co-writer :rolleyes:
As far as obliquely references various elements of stories written by Philip K. Dick", I think you'll find that PKD was first with many ideas which are "obliquely referenced" by many Sci Fi movies, despite Mr Peoples' non-involvement. I think for every tenuous link, there are several concrete differences, not least of which is the fact that one was based on a PKD book and directed by RS while the other one, er, wasn't :)

Perhaps Mr Peoples was trying in some way to lend the cinematic disaster which is Soldier some gravitas by insinuating a non-existent link with Blade Runner. :rotfl:

Please no!:eek:

A Blade Runner sequel would have to be a great movie in its own right, because it cannot take anything from Blade Runner to carry forwards...

Blade Runner is a closed loop...

Blade Runner is a story that lends you its secrets as you watch..

Secrets that are passed into a sequel, are no longer secrets...

What you pass to the sequel is droids, and a junk world. Big deal. So you take these two elements, and you basically have a blank page to work with... why bother? You will have to write an amazing story, and if you are good enough to write this amazing story why lose credit from it being your own idea, and allow Blade Runner to take credit for inspiring you?

A Blade Runner sequel would have to be a great movie in its own right, because it cannot take anything from Blade Runner to carry forwards...

Blade Runner is a closed loop...

Blade Runner is a story that lends you its secrets as you watch..

Secrets that are passed into a sequel, are no longer secrets...

What you pass to the sequel is droids, and a junk world. Big deal. So you take these two elements, and you basically have a blank page to work with... why bother? You will have to write an amazing story, and if you are good enough to write this amazing story why lose credit from it being your own idea, and allow Blade Runner to take credit for inspiring you?

All they have to do to carry the story on is follow what happened after Deckard and Rachel leave at the end of Bladerunner 1,knowing Hollywood that is how they could start it,well it would be some start anyway.

Depending on which ending of Bladerunner they base it on, they could have Deckard and Rachel staying at the Overlook Hotel.

Just imagine all the high-jinks and japes they could get up to as winter sets in.

:D

All they have to do to carry the story on is follow what happened after Deckard and Rachel leave at the end of Bladerunner 1,knowing Hollywood that is how they could start it,well it would be some start anyway.

But... the film was great because it revealed its secrets at the end. Your idea is a story with no secrets, just a basic storyline. The sequel could only work if it revealed for example that...

Decker is human, and the girl is human, and the droid story was false. Now you are revealing a similar shock... (just an example)....

That's how Terminator handled its sequel... bad terminator, is good terminator.

Last edited:
Depending on which ending of Bladerunner they base it on, they could have Deckard and Rachel staying at the Overlook Hotel.

Just imagine all the high-jinks and japes they could get up to as winter sets in.

:D

Do you think they'll get Harrison Ford again? He doesn't look a day older.:D

Cheers
Bri

As it's my fav film, of all time, you can guess my feelings...........

well what otehr sequals is there for holywood to do? hardly any original movies coming out

Blade Runner project still in development?

Steven Lisberger, director of the original 'Tron' talks to Henry Jenkins, that's not important, but what is a few seconds of comment about the Scott Brothers returning to a Blade Runner project! Timeline @4:22

YouTube - TRONsmedia Part One

If Ridley Scot is invovled with this then it might be worth a look.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom